A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

LittleMissBride
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Bomboniere - how many guests took them home?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I agree Jess, we got a [painted cream-clour metal mini-chair at one, I mean unless I had a dolls house with antique furniture, I really couldn't see what I would want this for? It was like something an old lady keeps in her house. I bet the bride had thought they were adorable but I thought they were really pointless. I am trying not to give a pointless gift, as it is money down the drain.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

We had a lolly buffet and everyone took some home. People even went back for seconds! :)

I think it depends on your guests, but for the most part edible is the way to go. Although my friend had stubby-coolers and they were great, I think everyone took them.

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I love alot of the ideas on here! I think some of the best ones I've seen are plants, lolly bars, photobooths, anything home made! I agree, personalized stuff is usually really cute but who wants to keep some nic-nack with someone elses name on it?

Everyone considering alcohol though should double check they're allowed with their venues. Alot of places that already have bars and stuff possibly won't let you bring alcohol into the venue because of licence restrictions.

louise84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

we had stubby coolers that had this cute cartoon pic of us and some small details and there were only a couple left on the table. everywhere we have been since the wedding have used them and eho doesnt need more coolers!

sachick90
I survived and got married

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am

We had people take home a slice of our cake in noodle boxes we had decorated and they doubled as place ccards. everyone took them home :-) edible is definately better in most situations.

Photo booth sounds pretty cool though

Happyeverafter
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 am

I don't know, our scotch glasses were well received and we didn't have any left over even for the no-shows. I think that the key is to not personalise them too much. But, it's not always an exact science with these things and sometimes might depend on the cultural background of your guests maybe?

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

We had a few empty jars left behind, but there were no full ones to be seen. I get the impression that if anyone did leave theirs behind, it was snapped up by another guest on the way out.

So another vote for edible here.

Ben
Photographer
Photographer

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Honestly, I think its disrespectful to leave them behind. Thats my opinion, B&G wanted me to have it as a reminder of their day.

RN_Reecy

Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi There!
Anything edible or consumable is a good idea. I am also of the theory that some bonbonniere just
cause clutter and are 'stashed' in draws for a few years, until being thrown away! This is a shame
because as I now realise, many of these aren't cheap i.e. photo frames, glasses, etc. however,
having a single shot glass from a wedding isn't really useful.
Consumable all the way!

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm

To follow up on my last post about my stubby holders - I'm now married and everyone except 2 people took theirs home - and then they messaged me a couple of days later to tell me that they forgot to take them and did I have any left that they could have.

Totally stoked with the effort of getting them done :D

button30

Thu May 10, 2012 2:22 am

I had quite practical bombonieres, I had stubby holders for the boys and cashmere pashminias (it was a cold climate wedding) for the ladies and I think most people took 2 as I had almost double what I needed of both of them and didn't have any left. I forgot to keep 1 or 2 aside for my and DH as souvenirs so we don't actually have any :(

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 am

to be honest, I generally leave them behind. I am not a fan of bombonieres and dont feel I should receive something as a gift, I go to a wedding to be part of a special day, I dont need a token for that. Plus its not a culture I was brought up in. I know my sister had them at her wedding but she married into an italian family and it was their tradition.

jessjess
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat May 12, 2012 11:40 am

We had favour boxes filled with chocolate and sweets like fantales, minties, mentos, freddo frogs, etc. Very few were left and the ones that were people had picked through what they wanted and left the rest so we were more than happy :)

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 pm

We had some liqueur in glasses that looked like test tubes. Heaps of people had them at the wedding and a few people took them home to have at a special occasion, I've had a few people message and let me know when they drank them. Not a single one was left but I've since descovered that quite a few were 'stolen' by overly keen guests! Lol

EternalWillow
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I personally don't like the engraved shot glasses/candle holders, etc. I am one of those people who always takes them home, but yeah they just get put in my "stuff to keep" box. I think unless you know your guests are going to like what you buy - say if your friends are drinkers then stubby holders are great, for instance - then you should either go with something edible, or go with whatever YOU want but just be prepared for it to be a slight waste of money.

I'm in the latter category. We're doing a birds theme for our wedding and so I'm going to get these for our guests... they don't cost that much and they fit the theme... however I'm getting them because I want them and I'm prepared for not everyone at the wedding to take theirs home with them... if that happens I'll just pop the extras on ebay. :D

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 am

We only had a piece of square haigh's chocolate as our bon bons.. our wedding coordinator is holding the remaining few-she said a handful (along with other bits and pieces we left behind) for us to come and collect next time we're nearby :) 5 out of 80 is pretty good, and one of them is definitely mine since I stupidly forgot mine on the night :wink:

darkphoenix

Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

We didn't have any left come the end of the night, people even took home the menu and table numbers as well as the favours! We had personalized m&ms, there were a couple of people (older who have diabetes) that didn't want them so my 8 year old cousin had a blast getting high on all the chocolate other's didn't want :)

Olive182

Thu May 31, 2012 5:18 pm

darkphoenix wrote:
We didn't have any left come the end of the night, people even took home the menu and table numbers as well as the favours! We had personalized m&ms, there were a couple of people (older who have diabetes) that didn't want them so my 8 year old cousin had a blast getting high on all the chocolate other's didn't want :)

My partner and I want personalised m&m's - I've been on the m&m's website and made an enquiry - they don't ship to Australia. How did you get them here? And was it expensive?
Thanks! :)

Mrs Babb to be

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 am

Hi,
I have just received my Bomboniere and I must say they are gorgeous! I have about 230 guests but have only purchased 110 Bomboniere as it is only 1 per family or couple. When we were deciding on what to get my finace was very into something "practical", therefore hopefully they will not be left behind.

darkphoenix

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Olive182 wrote:
My partner and I want personalised m&m's - I've been on the m&m's website and made an enquiry - they don't ship to Australia. How did you get them here? And was it expensive?
Thanks!

They have a number on their website that you can call to make international orders, we got quoted $190 for shipping through them so ended up getting my MIL to post them over. She lives in Florida so it only cost her $60 to ship them over.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.26