A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Time Gap Between Ceremony and Reception

Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello All,

I am in a bit of a pickle and am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.

My FH and I are looking at flying a photographer over from NSW (we are in Perth WA) to do our wedding photography and he is going to be costing us between $6000-$8000 alone, therefore we want to make the most of having him over and want to do the following:

Ceremony: Looking at starting around 1pm at Kings Park (in the city), assumed finishing time is around 2pm

Reception: The reception is booked to start at 6pm at Araluen Golf Resort (about an 1 and a 1/2 hours drive from the ceremony location)

Therefore there is roughly a 4 hour gap between the ceremony and reception. Is this too long for our guests? We are getting married on a Thursday so everything in the city will be open, Kings park also has BBQ facilities people could use etc. We are also giving guests an option to come to only the ceremony or to come to both depending on what suits them.

We want to use that 4 hours to have photography in Kings Park, along the coast, etc etc slowly making our way to the reception venue for photography there. Photography is hugely important to us as we are not having a honeymoon, and want amazing photography and lots of it...

Any opinions? Am I wrong in thinking this could work?

Thank you in advance!

Ashleigh :heart:

tanieeyaa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Time Gap Between Ceremony and Reception

Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 pm

No! That gap is fine :) with the amount of time it takes to drive, I think people can take their time driving, have some stops or go back home and then leave. TBH every wedding I have been to, has a large gap and no one is ever bothered by it :) I think you definitely should take full advantage of the photographer! Ultimately, your guests will never mind. It is your day! :)

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Thank you!! I'm glad someone out there understands and agrees with us!! :D

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 am

Haha Guests are complaining about multiple things so we have pretty much shut everyone out of our planning and they can find out the details on the invite and on the day.

I believe that if I mentioned a couple of hours gap between the ceremony and reception before they get the invite, the FH's family would be complaining!

I always laughed when friends would ***** about their in-laws because I've never had an issue... Until the wedding date was set and their 2 cents worth were in everything.

My FH and I are paying for absolutely everything of the wedding, no parent input so it was getting very annoying!

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Hmmm I have to admit I would be a bit miffed. But if it's on the invite They should be prepared. I had photos before the wedding because I hate waiting around at other peoples weddings and didn't want it happening at ours!

sandra4tonny
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 04, 2012 11:48 am

that gap is perfect, u will need to leave from traveling time, parking, take photos, walk around and take more photos, then drive to reception. im flying my photographer from Sydney to Fiji with us, the Ceremony will be btw 11 to 1 not to sure about the time, i want the longer time with the photographer and i want to walk around and take lots of photos everywhere i guess the more time the better...

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 6:27 pm

sandra4tonny wrote:
that gap is perfect, u will need to leave from traveling time, parking, take photos, walk around and take more photos, then drive to reception. im flying my photographer from Sydney to Fiji with us, the Ceremony will be btw 11 to 1 not to sure about the time, i want the longer time with the photographer and i want to walk around and take lots of photos everywhere i guess the more time the better...

Thank you for your comment, it's exactly what we keep telling ourselves! Considering drive time, parking, walking to photo locations etc etc for us it is not much time for all the photography we want! Looking forward to seeing some of your Fiji wedding photos! I bet they'll be amazing!

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 6:31 pm

millie wrote:
Hmmm I have to admit I would be a bit miffed. But if it's on the invite They should be prepared. I had photos before the wedding because I hate waiting around at other peoples weddings and didn't want it happening at ours!

This was my issue also, I was putting myself in the guests situation, I would probably be annoyed at the gap also, but our invites are going out end of June, as well as all other details, I'm sure roughly six months is long enough for people to sort out what they are going to do in the mean time. I am having an additional photographer for family photography that does not require me or my FH in them for after the ceremony, I'm sure that can keep them all entertained for a short while!

My FH and I had arranged to have photography prior to the wedding, but as my brother is walking me down the isle, it was his wish that my FH did not see me in my dress prior to the ceremony!

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 pm

tanieeyaa wrote:
No! That gap is fine :) with the amount of time it takes to drive, I think people can take their time driving, have some stops or go back home and then leave. TBH every wedding I have been to, has a large gap and no one is ever bothered by it :) I think you definitely should take full advantage of the photographer! Ultimately, your guests will never mind. It is your day! :)

I agree with this - all weddings I have been to over the years have at least a 3 hr gap. My wedding this August has a 3.5 hr break between ceremony and reception.
Possibly you could suggest to the guests things they can do or see during that time, such as shopping, sights to see etc.
We have made a wedding website on whatwewishfor.com where we have suggested things for ppl to do, our wedding is in the rocks in Sydney so suggesting they visit the markets, go to the botanic gardens, a pub, etc...
I'm sure they will find things to keep themselves busy :)

AshleighJane1312
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you, there are plenty of things to do in the city. I believe my family are even planning a lunch BBQ, for the time gap.

We are currently looking into places that are a little closer as the original place is becoming a bit of a pain to organise. But there will still be a long gap regardless.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.26