A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Would you rent a wedding dress? Would you rent out your wedd

Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi ladies was wondering this since brides of melb debacle. Would you rent your wedding dress rather than buy it? And if you've got your wedding dress would you let others rent it from you? I don't really want to sell my dress as I would still like to have it, but I think I would consider renting it to others for their big day. Let me know your thoughts!

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Would you rent a wedding dress? Would you rent out your wedd

Sun May 13, 2012 10:39 pm

No I wouldn't. I would buy my dress and look at selling it once I'm done but I wouldn't rent it out. To me, that makes the dress less special. To buy one second hand, totally understand and would possibly consider it myself because realistically they are worn once.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon May 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't think renting is viable. My dress was hardly outside, was bustled most of the evening and is still filthy dirty!

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon May 14, 2012 3:51 pm

From a cleanliness point of view, I don't think i could bear wearing a dress that has been worn multiple times by a number of different brides. Buying second hand I can understand, but not renting.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm

when I got married the first time in the 80's, you hired your wedding dress, that was the norm. I was slightly different and bought my dress second hand and sold it after the wedding to a friend who had fallen in love with it. I dont find the whole hiring thing odd as that was something I have seen before.

no I wouldnt hire my wedding dress out privately, too many headaches involved. I have no problems with second hand wedding dresses, as long as people use their common sense with the pricing.

with so many online places these days hiring or renting a wedding dress just isnt viable

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 14, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't think it would be practical- apart from the constant cleaning required having to alter the hem etc for each person would become a logistical nightmare.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Tue May 15, 2012 2:08 am

As was already posted, it used to be very popular to hire your wedding attire (both bride & groom) and very practicle too (if you didn't want to keep it). Financially it was a very good idea.

bronzestar
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Tue May 15, 2012 12:25 pm

rubywoo wrote:
It would depend - on the cost, and if I found "the one" as a rental.

I don't think I could ever have found "the one" as a rental, I only barely found it to buy it :lol:

Ashling wrote:
I don't think it would work privately though because I think the reason the dresses didnt get destroyed is because they only ever needed slight alterations because the stores had many diffent sizes of the same dress

And I agree with this too.

millie wrote:
Hi ladies was wondering this since brides of melb debacle. Would you rent your wedding dress rather than buy it? And if you've got your wedding dress would you let others rent it from you? I don't really want to sell my dress as I would still like to have it, but I think I would consider renting it to others for their big day. Let me know your thoughts!

If you want to offer your dress to rent to the WC community, especially those brides caught in this brides of Melb debacle then feel free, I'm sure the thought would be appreciated. But be careful, the dress might not hold up to multiple wears, alterations and cleanings so you might not have a nice dress at the end of it all.

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 pm

FH relatives keep asking if we are renting or buying the BM dresses and My dress they really can't get in into their heads that it does not happen anymore and you would be hard pressed to find anyone that rented :lol:

mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 pm

They hire deb dresses and that seems to work fine. No, i wouldn't personally do it as i the price you could charge probably would not be worth the hassle but don't see why not!

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I have heard that bridal studios in Australia stopped renting wedding dresses due to too much wear and tear with each alteration.

However, in many parts of Asia, bridal gown rental is still very much the norm. Most of my relatives find it bizarre that I am buying one! What studios do is to charge a higher price for the first person to rent the dress, and then the rental price decreases for each subsequent hire.

But it is also the norm in Asian weddings to have several gown changes throughout the day. The big poufy white wedding dress wouldn't be worn for more than a few hours, as the bride generally wears a traditional costume for the traditional rituals/ceremonies, and changes to an evening dress for most of the reception, and any bridal photo shoots are usually done with (yet another!) set of outfits. The white wedding dress is only worn for a few hours during the civil ceremony and at the start of the reception. I suppose that might contribute to lesser wear and tear, making it more viable to rent the wedding gowns.

Asians are, on the whole, also much less attached to the concept of the white wedding dress since it is an adopted 'western' thing and not part of the traditional custom. Asians care less about having custom alterations and additions to make it 'unique'. So rental gowns make more sense in that context.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.32