A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

How many gifts for gift registry?

Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 pm

So i'm wondering how many things should we put on our gift registry? We have compiled a list of items of varying prices but i'm unsure of how many to actually put on the registry. Is there any etiquette to this? What worked for you?

We are inviting 105 guests (so far) but are only expecting about 80 to attend.

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Re: How many gifts for gift registry?

Thu May 24, 2012 12:38 pm

I would probably put about 50-60 gifts on then. Just to give them choice. Remember you will get a gift per couple...so it probably will end up being around 40 gifts, not 80.

Or you could do what we are doing. We are doing a registry but only putting things on that we need. We refuse to put on stuff just for the sake of it which will end up as clutter.
We only have about 45 gifts but we are expecting about 55 couples.

So, we are also doing a wishing well. We are giving the choice of either a gift, cash or nothing, up to the guest.

If all the presents are bought off the registry - and people still need to get us something, then they can use the wishing well for the honeymoon or towards a new mattress which we really need!

That way we only get gifts we need (we have been living together for 5 years so have a lot) - but do not get things we do not need & may end up with a little bit of spending money for either our honeymoon or a new mattress that we need!

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri May 25, 2012 12:42 pm

We put about 10 presents on our online registry, and there is an option to contribute to our honeymoon there... we're moving overseas after the wedding and don't want to carry too many presents!!

RN_Reecy

Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm

We are having a registry and have also compiled a list, which we will stick to when selecting.
It is important to include products of different price ranges- so people don't feel pressured into
buying something more expensive. Having more options will also make guests feel like they are
'choosing' somewhat more, than being told what to give. I know some places that host bridal
registries also allow people to contribute to larger items, i.e. fridge, mattress.
I think you have all bases covered for gift giving. I would allow for more than 1 gift/per couple ratio,
as guests may want options- rather than to be "left with" the last remaining gifts. This happened to me
at a baby shower- I was last in and ended up giving a breast pump :?
Good luck! You've got plenty of time to sort it out! :D

Wedding Girl

Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 am

If you are just doing a registry, pop 1/3 more gifts than people. Make sure you include various items in different price ranges too, say from $30 - $400 that way people can combine items they like and get several things - also helps the single people who don't usually spend as much as a couple.

smurfee
Almost there
Almost there

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 pm

put in more gifts because some of your guests may wish to purchase two or more gifts off your registry. Keep it updated and organised so guests will have more options to choose from. :D

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks all for your tips, now Fh and i just need to think what we actually would like! :lol:

Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 am

We had about 58 guests. We put probably about 15 things on the registry (just a list of items, no official registry) and probably got 10 of those, we got a few gifts not on the list, cash from some people, a few gift cards, and a few guests nothing at all :P

I only could put that many things on the list because that was really all that we wanted. We didn't list anything that we didn't need or really want. Don't put things there just for the sake of it!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06