A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Healthy options for Lolly Buffet?

Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

My Bm and i have been toying with the idea of having a lolly buffet at my bridal shower. The one small hitch is that i have a few diabetics and one family member who has had a band implanted to help with her weight issues. I don't want to make these guests feel left out and was hoping for some healthier alternatives to include alongside the lollies. I know there are sugar free lollies/chocolates but i'm looking for suggestions outside of those categories.

I wonder whether or not small fruits could be included such as berries, grapes etc. But i would be concerned about how long they would still be ok to eat (the lolly buffet is for guests to take home) Do you think it would still be ok?

Grateful for any help, whether it be other options or input on the fruit idea. :)

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Healthy options for Lolly Buffet?

Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 pm

I found this picture and was thinking i could do a combination of this with fruit mixed in with a regular lolly buffet.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 24, 2012 4:56 pm

People automatically assume that diabetics can eat fruit, but that isn't the case as most fruit is high in sugar content.

I'm not diabetic, but this is a common complaint I've heard from diabetics who are given the fruit platter for dessert at functions.

Maybe you could ask your diabetic friends what sort of treats they are allowed to have on their diet.

How about tea buffet? I totally just made that up on the spot, but maybe you could buy loose tea leaves in different mixes/flavours and give guests little bags to fill with tea leaves?.

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 5:10 pm

gdemon wrote:
People automatically assume that diabetics can eat fruit, but that isn't the case as most fruit is high in sugar content.

I'm not diabetic, but this is a common complaint I've heard from diabetics who are given the fruit platter for dessert at functions.

Maybe you could ask your diabetic friends what sort of treats they are allowed to have on their diet.

How about tea buffet? I totally just made that up on the spot, but maybe you could buy loose tea leaves in different mixes/flavours and give guests little bags to fill with tea leaves?.

All of the diabetics in my family have fruit included in their diet (provided they eat it in moderation). This was something i checked prior to researching this option. :) I'd definitely hate to think i'd offered a healthy option only to realise they still couldn't eat it!

A tea buffet sounds great except i don't drink tea! :lol: Nor do most of those would be attending my bridal shower. What a great idea though!

forfirith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Maybe i could think of something else along the same lines as your tea suggestion though and have a buffet of something else all together. Although part of me still really wants to have a lolly buffet :lol:

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 pm

What about dried fruits and nuts as well as some of the healthier chocolates you can get from health stores (I.e. carob comes in milk, dark and mint from the health store I go to)...

RN_Reecy

Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 pm

You could look at baking some small cupcakes or cookies.
There are tons of recipes online for diabetics and it would add a personal touch.
Even get your BM or MOH to make for you.
Good luck!

EternalWillow
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 27, 2012 3:42 pm

I think a nice selection of nuts would be nice, even for those people who don't have diabetes, cos not everyone likes sweets. Or maybe some rice crackers, the colorful kind? Or the Indian Bujha (sp?) mix or dried garlic peas that you csn get in Asian and Indian shops - altho I don't know how healthy they are, as they might be fried and have a lot of oil.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm

If it were me, I'd probably add pretzels, dried fruit, nuts, mini pikelets.

You could really have all sorts of things "mini". A nice salad/cous cous in tiny bowls with little spoons? Might be nice to have something a little more substantial :)

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue May 29, 2012 10:11 pm

not really healthy, but how about a cheese/cracker assortment??!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35