A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

krittyb
Topic Author

Garter & Bouquet Throw

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 am

Is there anyone out there that isn't throwing a garter and bouquet?
My Fiancé thinks it's strange not to, he love all the traditional stuff...
I really don't like the whole idea of having my husband sticking his head up my dress in front of a whole room of people and throwing something that's been on my leg all day... weird??

As for the Bouquet, I think it's a waste of money.

What are your thoughts?

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: Garter & Bouquet Throw

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

Lots of people don't. I didn't. I gave my throwing bouquet to my grandmother as I walked back down the aisle. She wasn't well enough to attend the reception.

That said re money - lots of florists provide a free 'throwaway' bouquet. Few brides throw their real bouquet these days.

krittyb
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh that's really sweet! My Grandfather passed away recently, it was very sad to have to take him off the list, I thought I'd be lucky enough to have both sets attend seeing as I'm the first to get married but we were a year too late :(
Never mind, he will be there in spirit!

Back to flowers, I did notice 'complementary' throwaways. It seems such a waste though...

I think I'm going to leave it out!

Thanks for the reply! I don't feel so strange now! haha :)

aug b2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30 pm

No you're not alone Krittyb, we're not doing the garter/bouquet toss either. Just doesn't appeal to me.

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 pm

I didn't do it. I think Guests are generally so reluctant to get up there and want to participate anyway, plus it's not my cup of tea. No one asked any questions. My mil was disgraced (she wanted the most traditional wedding in the world- she was also upset that I didn't wear a veil) and went out and bought me a garter. I completely forgot to wear it which I said I would, although I assured her that I would not be throwing it!! Lol went to a funny wedding where the mc got the tradition really wrong and the girls caught the garter while the boys caught the flowers. The weird thing is that no one said anything!!!

krittyb
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

Misspony I didn't know that about German weddings! You learn something new everyday!!

And I never thought about it from a guests point of view either, dragging all the single people up to catch something in the hopes that it will lead them to someone. Bit awkward...

My decisions made then! No more worrying about what people will think :)

Thanks ladies for the piece of mind!

micnem

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I definitely dont think you have to do it but if your worried about the bouquet being a waste of money mine is only costing $20 for real flowers. I think its nice and a bit of fun for the guests

candice7422

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm not doing either...although my youngist sister has insisted that she wants to catch the bouquet (free throwaway), so at some point in the night I'll just throw it at her lol

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:20 pm

We did it, but I didn't like the whole "sticking his head up my dress etc". So we just had a spare (cheaper) garter which he just threw, and my throw away bouquet was included in our flower package. It was a bit of fun and most people were happy to do it.

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am

im not doing either ...... im worried that people will see my undies lol when FH gets the garter and since im not doing the garter i think it would be strange to throw a bouquet

mskei

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I am getting married in Jan next year and am definitely not doing the garter thing. I think it's very "bogan" and I haven't been to a single wedding where the couples have actually done the whole garter thing.

As for throwing the bouquet, I won't be doing that either. I didn't enjoy participating when I was single/not engaged; I don't think any single woman enjoys it. Plus, I want to have as little formalities as possible at my reception - I want everyone to just enjoy themselves and have fun!

krittyb
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Wow I didn't realise there were so many people that weren't doing these things!!
I feel better now, I don't feel like I'm making people miss out! hehe

nelle_mrs2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Bouquet - I want to keep my good one, definately not throwing it so someone else can keep it! Might look into a cheap one for that particular reason (to throw) otherwise just won't do it!

Garter - I am going to wear one.. but I doubt we'll do the whole traditional husband stick his head under & take it off thing. It weirds me out too!

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 am

I'm not going to bother with either - I would be mortified with having FH stick his hands up my dress in front of all our guests (there'll be plenty of time for that later in the night) and like some of the other ladies mentioned, I HATE having to participate in the bouquet throw - its just not me....

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am

I didn't want the bouquet or garter toss either but DH talked me into it as he's traditional that way. I didn't want to spend bucketloads of money so I made the toss bouquet myself from silk flowers - it probably cost about $20 or less. The garter cost $20 - I could have got it cheaper if I'd bought online in advance but I left it till the last minute and bought it only the day before...!

I was absolutely adamant about not having DH stick his head up my dress (how elegant... not!). I wiggled the garter down around my ankle , and had DH take it off by hand. The bouquet toss rather worried me but the women took it in good part and one or two were really enthusiastic about it - BIL's girlfriend shrieked "I want to catch the bouquet!" from across the room and shouldered half the girls aside like a pro footy player (apparently there is always one woman like that in the crowd!!). It was worth it just to watch her alone.

Bride.2012

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:20 pm

You are not alone! I also don't agree with the idea of my husband digging under my dress so I wanted him to keep the garter in his pocket and throw it just like that and I will throw my bouquet, but he still doesn't like the idea so I don't know what else to do... but I really want him to throw the garter without exposing my legs...

krittyb
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:19 am

Bride.2012 wrote:
You are not alone! I also don't agree with the idea of my husband digging under my dress so I wanted him to keep the garter in his pocket and throw it just like that and I will throw my bouquet, but he still doesn't like the idea so I don't know what else to do... but I really want him to throw the garter without exposing my legs...

Bride.2012 could you pin it to the inside of your dress?? Near the hem??
So that when he goes to get it he all you need to do it pull your dress up a little to show your ankle and he can just unpin?
You don't have to have it all the way up your leg...
There was another suggestion earlier on where a lady said that she would shuffle it down her leg, you could do the same and then kick it off and make HIM catch it before he throws it! Could be a fun idea! :)
Hope gives you some ideas!!

Bride.2012

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Thank you for the ideas, I liked the second one better, but I dont' know if I can still make him do it... he doesn't like the idea of throwing it no matter if the garter has been all day on my leg or in his pocket.... we will seen in the ffuture but thanks again! :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.54