A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MrsO
Topic Author

Sydney reception on a budget

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 am

I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me :)

I got married in Ireland a few months ago and my husband and I want to throw a wedding reception luncheon in Sydney when we come back for a holiday. That way, we get to spend the day with family and friends who couldn't make it over for our wedding. We're heading back to Sydney in early December so do any of you fabulous ladies have any ideas? I would love to splash out but we're on a budget and it doesn't help that Sydney has become v v v expensive! 8O 8O 8O

Are there any reception places for under $100 per person? It looks like the norm is $150 per person :( We're looking at throwing a lunchtime reception for 100-120 people. Happy to do dinner if we can get it under $100 per person because I can't see any discounts for lunchtime receptions!

Help!!!

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Re: Sydney reception on a budget

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 am

Hello mrso and welcome!! :)
Congrats on your wedding!

I can't help much with this as I didn't find any reception venues in syd on that budget, however I remember finding out that many venues we looked at offered large discounts for weekday or Sunday weddings, this may be worth looking into as well as the lunch option?

Good luck with your search :)

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 am

The time of year is not in your favour as many 'reception' venues will be booked for corporate Christmas parties.

How formal are you wanting to go? Have you considered one of the nicer pubs?

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Sunday's are usually cheaper?

Snowygem

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 pm

my reception venue is a golf club and its packaged range from 85-115pp, perhaps a golf club is an idea?

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm

I think for a lunchtime reception there should be heeeeeaps of options in Sydney for you!!
Try L'Aqua :) A few people from my work have held their lunchtime weddings there for $100pp. It's got water views and the food is lovely

Also second the golf club idea :) Good luck!!

MrsO
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks ladies! I'll get in touch with some of the golf clubs as well as L'Aqua :D

lrh
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 am

MrsO wrote:
I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me :)

I got married in Ireland a few months ago and my husband and I want to throw a wedding reception luncheon in Sydney when we come back for a holiday. That way, we get to spend the day with family and friends who couldn't make it over for our wedding. We're heading back to Sydney in early December so do any of you fabulous ladies have any ideas? I would love to splash out but we're on a budget and it doesn't help that Sydney has become v v v expensive! 8O 8O 8O

Are there any reception places for under $100 per person? It looks like the norm is $150 per person :( We're looking at throwing a lunchtime reception for 100-120 people. Happy to do dinner if we can get it under $100 per person because I can't see any discounts for lunchtime receptions!

Help!!!

I think that it might be worth contacting a few golf clubs. I know my friend was on a tight budget for her wedding and they got $80ph at Muirfields Golf Club.

It might be worth contacting a restaurant and seeing if they can do a set menu for that number on a Sunday. I know that Ripples in Chowder Bay does a set menu for parties and it costs about $65ph. I am not sure if they will do it for that number of people but it is worth enquiring.

You might have more luck throwing a small cocktail event as the cost per head should be closer to $75ph, I would imagine.

sylvatin
Together we're unlimited
Together we're unlimited

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:23 pm

You can have a lunch reception at Waterview (Bicentennial Park) for 85, or reception for 100.

Vincent
Photographer
Photographer

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Try a cocktail lunch reception..it should be much cheaper then the formal seated receptions.

skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm not sure if you only want city centre, or are willing to travel? You have to check, but when I was searching, these venues all had options for under $100 p/person. I got married at the Little bay chapel, then only a 2min drive to St Michaels golf club for the reception. St Michaels had fab views, you get golf buggies to go to various photo opportunities incl by the beach, near the ponds, foresty areas etc plus the staff were fabulous.

http://www.stmichaelsgolf.com.au/guests ... ings.mhtml

Other people on here have recommended:
http://www.bdgc.com.au/guests/hospitali ... ings.mhtml
http://www.nswgolfclub.com.au/guests/fu ... ings.mhtml

My brother got married here in lane cove & it was lovely. No views, but the decor was great. They have a lunch special for $107 p/person:
http://www.mandalayreceptions.com.au/we ... e_2012.pdf
GZIP: On | Load: 0.34