A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

notjustmarried

Anyone worn their mum's wedding dress?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:26 am

Hi ladies, anyone worn the same dress their mum wore? Actually, how about a dress that your grandma wore! The more generations wearing the same dress the better. Imagine all the different experiences and traditions the same dress would have seen.

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Anyone worn their mum's wedding dress?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

I would have loved to have worn my mums, but she cut it up for baby clothes after she got married :(
I have worn my Nan's for an 'old times bridal fashions' thing my mum was involved in... but it wasn't something I would wear for my own wedding! It would have been from around the 1920's.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

Sadly my mother's dress was not well preserved otherwise I would have considered having it altered (it was a little too big for me) as the style was actually very similar to what I ended up wearing!

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I would have loved to, but unfortunately my mother's dress was discoloured from hanging in a plastic cover for too long.

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I definitely would have considered it! But, my mum gave her veil and dress to her cleaner/nanny. She was getting married soon after, so mum gave her dress to her :)

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Aww that was so sweet of your Mum!

mrsWtobe wrote:
I definitely would have considered it! But, my mum gave her veil and dress to her cleaner/nanny. She was getting married soon after, so mum gave her dress to her :)

Mrs Kylo
I survived and got married!
I survived and got married!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm

My parents got married in the middle of winter and my dad's parents insisted they get married in a particular church
My mum was dead against it but eventually gave in when my dad's parents said they'd pay for her dress to be made however she wanted as a trade off .. she went and found the most expensive fabric she could and used lots of it!
She ended up with a floor length white velvet (with imprinted flower pattern) gown with a built-in hood and matching hand muff .. hood, cuffs and muff all edged in feathery stuff
It was actually absolutely gorgeous but really not something I would ever have considered wearing .. and that's lucky cos she cut it up about 10 years ago to make a teddy bear out of as it was starting to deteriorate!

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 pm

I tried my mum's on and it almost fitted but im a fair bit bustier than my mum, and it also had some rust spots from the zipper unfortunatly. Mum said she just wanted to see how a softer material looked on me but i really think she hoped it would fit.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 pm

My mum is super talented and made my Communion dress out of her wedding dress, so I was a mini version of her on her wedding day when I was six.
So in a way, yes, I have worn my mums wedding dress :heart: :heart:

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 am

My mum was a hippy bride, so wore a cheese cloth peasant top and flowery skirt , with a ringlet of flowers in her knee length hair :D for the photos she look great but so not my style

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am

My mums wedding dress is not the style I love - but if it was I would certainly wear it.

Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm

My mum made her own dress and was preggers with my younger brother so it wouldn't have suited me - not to mention it was a late 1980s wedding so you can just imagine the fashion.... !

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm

mum cut up her wedding dress to make a pram quilt so couldnt wear her dress, though when I got my dress (second hand), when I got it home we realised it was very similar to my mums only I had lace on the bodice and sleeves where hers was satin

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I absolutely loved my mum's dress. It was a cotton material with hippy bell sleeves and was so stunning for a slightly hippy bride. But... When my parents divorced she gave it to vinnies :( wish I could have seen it on me! My dress was nothing similar!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am

I wouldn't ahve worn mum's dress anyway - not my style and probably too small.

But irrelevant as she turned it into cot sheets. Her veil was in our dress up box for years but the style wouldn't have worked even if it was in good knick (which it wasn't)...

MoolieMoo
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Gosh, my mum got married to my dad in their flat while wearing jeans.

Scummy and no dress to pass along... oh well.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.23