A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

jane1082
Topic Author

What are the little things you stress over??

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

My wedding is about 5 months away and when people ask me how I am going and I respond, most of them comment on how organised I am...however I feel the complete opposite. Just wondering if there are others out there that find themselves worry about the little things...and those of you who have had your day already what are those 'little' things you would not worry about??

I find myself lying awake at night thinking about...
the decoration of the venue! My FH, being a male, obviously isn't TOO concerned about the finer details but I am still worried about - centrepieces, flowers to use, frames to frame the table names, wedding favours (kind of decided on this), colour of sashes around the chairs, how I am going to 'frame the windows of the hall', shoes, program/order of service, and lots of other little things that I will probably think about tonight at 2am!!!

For all those 'have been brides' do you have any words of wisdom? People always say to me that people don't remember the favours and the centrepieces etc, but surely you still want them to be just right???

I find myself looking at thousands of different websites finding all these ideas and then having no idea what to do!!!

I guess this is just all part of planning aye! :)

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: What are the little things you stress over??

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I stress over everything from the accommodation for my guests, to the fact the FH has yet to book the suits, to the flower cones , place cards everything, I try not to but I can't help it 8O

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:59 pm

I think that my biggest stress was how was I going to make sure that everyone did everything when they were supposed to? But then I realised that the majority of the people that had things to do were people that knew all about weddings and had done it a hundred times before (caterers, photographer, celebrant etc).

I am a bit of a perfectionist and it wasn't sitting well with me that I wouldn't be able to oversea everything that was happening because I was in the wedding and not an onlooker sorting everything out! Once I managed to convince myself to trust those people that I had asked to help me with things, I began to feel a lot less stressed out. On the day things went so smoothly and came together so well, it amazed me!

TazzaDazza

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am

My wedding is in two weeks - so not sure if I am qualified to give advice on this just yet as I am pretty stressed!!

One thing that helped us out was to limit how much we looked at when we were making decisions - there is so much information out there, websites, magazines, expos, forums, etc that it can be really confusing when you try to sift through things to make decisions. We decided early on that we would talk about what wanted in a cake, reception venue, etc and then find 5 things that fit the bill and decide from there, 5 cakes, 5 florists, 5 reception venues, 5 photographers - and once the decision was made we stopped looking at those things. The more you look at other things, the more you will question your decisions - did I pick the right blah blah, I could have had those types of favours, and so on for eternity.

With the detail things, it is hard to picture everything coming together, which is why I think we get so stressed about it - if I cant see it, how do I KNOW it will look any good?!!? As TracyLacy said, you need to trust your suppliers, and also trust yourself to have made good choices. Collect pictures, and ideas, and then look back at these as a reminder of how things will look.

Enjoy planning, it sounds like you are pretty organised, so remember to take time out and enjoy this time.

Good luck

Tx

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 am

Jane I am the same!

I think I have too many ideas going around in my head and I am stressed about pulling it all off.
People always tell me though - as long as people are fed and have drinks they will be happy. Which is a fair point, its easy to get caught up in all the details but people generally are pretty easy to please ;)

jane1082
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:15 pm

I like the idea of finding five things that could be a possibility and go from there! Great advice, fortunately our biggest things are out of the way now apart from the music. We DID have a band and have since found they can't play so need to get onto that.

I have days/nights where I just keep looking and looking at all these wonderful ideas, maybe i need to resrict myself to a certain time on the laptop, I could honestly be on it all night if I let myself.

Feel a bit better today as have decided on the wedding favours - after lots of feedback from people on here! Going for the Anzac biscuits to fit with our rustic kind of feel. Found a really nice table setting last night using hessian as the table runners so think I have just about decided to go down that aisle. I have the complete picture in my head of how I want it to all look and I'm sure with lots of help from great family and friends it will all fall into place!

Hard to believe that in 6 months I won't have all this planning to do, won't know what to do with myself! :)

As someone said if people are fed and watered, (with beer and wine! :) ) and have decent music to listen and dance to, they should be happy.

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm also worried that people won't enjoy themselves, or that they won't come, or that they will leave early. I'm also worried that we've left everything too late. We've set the date for April and although fh thinks we've got plenty of time to organise everything - I know we dont

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I worry about silly things..... I keep checking the weather forecast for the day and praying it won't rain, hehe!
Also my AF is due the day before my wedding so that's stressing me out a bit too!
My dad just injured his leg and currently not sure if he can walk me down the aisle...My list goes on!

But as others say at the end these worries are all pretty trivial, I'm sure your wedding will be wonderful!! Wishing you all the best with your planning :D

jane1082
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 pm

I too worry about people enjoyuing themselves!! People always have something to say about weddings, and at times people aren't too worried about being critical! I wish I didnt think too much about what other people think as at the end of the day it is about the two of us getting married. I guess people are always going to find something to say, just hope it's all positive. But with so many people there with different tastes you can't please everyone can you, I think as long as it reflects the couple that is the main thing - I will keep telling myself that anyway!!! :) I also worry that because people are flying from overseas they are going to want something big and extravagent which just isn't us! As my parents remind me, it is the people there that create the atmosphere also. God knows how I will be feeling a few weeks before the wedding! :?

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 pm

rubywoo wrote:
I worry that people won't enjoy themselves. Our wedding isn't ordinary - it's only a handful of guests at an old homestead. There won't be much of a dance floor (and anyway, our music isn't conducive to dancing), we're not having most of the normalities like first dance, cake cutting, etc. What if they get bored? Or what if we end up just sitting around talking?

I'm also worried that some of our friends might get really drunk and break something in the homestead... it's full of expensive antiques!

I am worried sick about my brothers causing a scene at the wedding they a vile drunks and there is 5 of them, I wish I could not have them but it would break my mother heart :cry:

jane1082
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Oh nooo rubywoo... do you think if you have a chat to them before hand they may reign it in a little bit, you are their SISTER after all :)

I have actually been a bit worried about FH mates, one - the BEST MAN!!! Who is known to go a bit wild and let loose, and also my FH is the last to be getting married out of all the guys so they are hanging out for a big one!! But after speaking to them and sussing them out, I think they are all talk, they have assured me they won't ruin the wedding, and I actually tend to believe them! I do'n't have any brothers, only 2 sisters who are both in the bridal party and don't have to worry about them, usually at weddings I seem to be the one known to always have a glass of wine in my hand! Will definately be pacing myself on the night... on that note I do sometimes worry about my FH... although I think he does stir me a bit... god I hope he remembers the wedding!!! :)

The other thing I worry about is my FH not crying when I walk up the aisle... I could put money on it that he won't, and I worry that people will think because of his lack of emotion he doesn't feel it!!! I think I will have enough tears for both of us, although I could surprise myself there :)

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:53 pm

rubywoo wrote:
falling_dawn wrote:
rubywoo wrote:
I worry that people won't enjoy themselves. Our wedding isn't ordinary - it's only a handful of guests at an old homestead. There won't be much of a dance floor (and anyway, our music isn't conducive to dancing), we're not having most of the normalities like first dance, cake cutting, etc. What if they get bored? Or what if we end up just sitting around talking?

I'm also worried that some of our friends might get really drunk and break something in the homestead... it's full of expensive antiques!

I am worried sick about my brothers causing a scene at the wedding they a vile drunks and there is 5 of them, I wish I could not have them but it would break my mother heart :cry:

If possible, I'd talk to the reception staff and let them know there are a few people who will get disgustingly drunk, and to cut them off if need be. Even give them a photo if necessary so they know who to not serve. (Unless you're having beer and wine served directly to their tables... then it might be harder).

Its table service so not much hope in getting them cut off, fingers crossed they behave :(

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:12 pm

I stress/or at least think about pretty much everything it seems!

I am currently stressing over whether I will be able to get my dress altered and steamed the month before the wedding. I am already stressing about the dress being crushed and wrinkled.

I was worried last week that my bridesmaid dresses would arrive in the wrong colour. e.g. like fuchsia pink instead of black :roll:

I worry that the guests will forget they need to drive themselves to the church..and will sitting around the hotels waiting for the bus to pick them up...the bus is only collecting them before the reception :roll:

I worry that FH will play a round a golf the day before wedding - and will end up stiff and sore on the day! He has serious body pain/neck issues at the moment and the smallest wrong move puts him in bed for days!

Umm, told you I stress.....about EVERYTHING! :) :lol:

jane1082
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm also worried about my dress and fittings. I'm going back to NZ end September where I will go into the dress shop and get all the alterations done that need to be done etc, BUT my intentions of 'toning up' and losing just a couple of KGs haven't really gone to plan, guess I have 9 weeks to go before September. Because I am getting married first weekend of Jan I'm worried I won't be able to get another fitting as I can't be back in NZ until Christmas!! Must email the dressmaker about that actually!

I'm also worried about guests that have not yet booked their accommomdation!!!! We have given them all a years notice, and only a couple have booked their flights and accommodation. At the end of the day they are all adults so they should be able to book flights and accommodation with all the information I have given them, should really cross that off my list of worries.

I'm also worried about or at least keep thinking about how I am going to make sure I talk to each of the guests throughout the duration of the evening! I don't want people going away saying they didn't see the bride or groom.

I'm sure I will think of more between the hours of 1am and 3am this morning :) While I am lying awake thinking about my flowers after doing a complete 360 last night with my colours etc.

Already thought of one... the food!!! Hope people enjoy it as often one of the things we remember about weddings is the food if it is no good!!!

Ok enough now... :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.38