A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

jane1082
Topic Author

What makes a good wedding?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I have about 5 months until my wedding and apart from myself and FH having a wonderful day I want the guests to have a great day too! In my experience people are sometimes quick to critisise or make comment about other peoples wedding... which got me thinking...

What makes a great wedding??

My thoughts are...
The food - I'm not the most observant person and could honestly not tell you about the food at a wedding a few months ago - unless it was no good.
The music - Music plays a great part in the wedding... For me a great wedding is having everybody up dancing and enjoying themselves until the very end.
Atmosphere - I know for our wedding we want everybody to be able to relax and enjoy themselves for the day. We are providing a bus for our guests, picking them up before the ceremony and then picking them up at the end of the night, so no one has to worry about finding their way or having one to many drinks.

Any other thoughts...??

nerea

Re: What makes a good wedding?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:13 pm

I'd say alcohol...

You don't need to have an open bar for your guests but I'd make sure I provide enough to drink. I have been to a wedding where guests were only allowed to one drink (apart from the drinks served during the main meal). If we wanted to get another drink we had to pay for it and some of us didn't have cash on us...there wasn't an ATM either.

I think some alcohol like wine, beer, champagne and soft drinks for free till the end of the night (or till whenever you want) make the whole experience for the guests much better, but it also depends on the budget you have.

jane1082
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Totally agree with the alcohol! We are fortunate enough to have a BYO venue, there will definately be enough alcohol to go around until the end of the night.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 am

for me its about interacting with the other guests, being able to get up and move around talking to people I know and meeting new people that I dont.
I am not into games, or entertainment (unless its a cultural element which I love).
I find speeches that go on forever a bit hard to handle, but most weddings have a time limit on speeches I have noticed.
best weddings I have been to the mc has explained the order of things for the night so people knew when the get the camera ready and werent thinking ok what happens now and missing out on things.
with the alcohol thats not a major issue for me and have been to many weddings where its stated that there is a limited bar and guest are to buy their own, can understand that with the cost of everything.
I think what would bother me is if there were too many things to entertain the guests, that the bride and groom thought were necessary. Most people are there to enjoy the special day with the couple

ZKPhotography

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I find as long as the bride and groom enjoy themselves everyone else is usually in an upbeat mood. When they are stressed out the mood usually reverberates and affects everyone else. Once the day starts forget about everything that's come before it and just have fun. Your guests are there to share your special day so if they see you smiling and laughing, they too will be smiling and laughing.

Alcohol is an over rated factor, your guests should be there for you not because there is free flowing booze. While it does help some people get out of their own skin its not the be all and end all. Last thing you need is a drunk ruining the festivities.

jane1082
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Definately seeing the bride and groom enjoying themselves on the day and as relaxed as possible makes a great difference!

Also I love going to weddings where I can see the braide and groom have made the day just as they want it to be, reflecting both of them. I remember being younger and dreaming of my big day, it's amazing how my idea of a great wedding has changed over the years! Definately agree with the speeches too, there needs to be that balance.

magpieC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 pm

nerea wrote:
I'd say alcohol...

You don't need to have an open bar for your guests but I'd make sure I provide enough to drink. I have been to a wedding where guests were only allowed to one drink (apart from the drinks served during the main meal). If we wanted to get another drink we had to pay for it and some of us didn't have cash on us...there wasn't an ATM either.

What you're describing isn't an alcohol problem, it's a communication problem. The problem was that there was a cash bar but people hadn't brought cash, the invitations obviously needed to include the information that guests who want more than 1 drink should bring cash and there is no ATM. Personally (assuming there was non alcoholic drinks available) I would probably have been fine with 1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner and another an hour or so after that as the after dinner part of the evening isn't likely to last more than 2 or 3 hours.

ZKPhotography

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 pm

I think with speeches its more an issue of content rather than length. If the people making the speeches are charasmatic and great story tellers than they should have no issue entertaining the guests and keeping them captivated. Not everyone has these unique set of skills though so it is an issue.

Vincent
Photographer
Photographer

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Chemistry and love...enjoy your day with big smiles.

All guests cameras/phone should be banned..they should all enjoy your day with plenty of hugs and kisses. (NOT enjoying it looking at the back of the LCD camera/phone)

Cheers
vince

MoolieMoo
I survived and got married

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:04 pm

The food - it just has to be edible and no long waits (I cannot remember a single wedding meal but I remember every late one)

The bonboneirre! I love this and always remember our little gifts. :) If it's chocolate I always try to procure more from other guests :)

The cake! I always take pictures and always ask what flavour (I always hope for chocolate and will wrinkle my nose rudely if it's fruitcake lol)

I also like to check out the dress, I always hope for colour but have never been to a wedding with a coloured dress.

mskei

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 pm

The cake! I always take pictures and always ask what flavour (I always hope for chocolate and will wrinkle my nose rudely if it's fruitcake lol)

I hope you are kidding! That's incredibly rude. Not everyone has the same taste in cake flavours. I'm sure if someone complained about the flavour of cake at your wedding, you'd have something to say about it!

MoolieMoo

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 pm

mskei wrote:

I hope you are kidding! That's incredibly rude. Not everyone has the same taste in cake flavours. I'm sure if someone complained about the flavour of cake at your wedding, you'd have something to say about it!

rofl

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:47 pm

As a guest I'm easy to please..
All I hope for is a place to sit and no long periods of standing (i don't mind waiting around, I just need a chair!!)

Also who I get seated with at the table will play a big part in whether I have fun and consider the wedding "good".
It's all about the conversation/laughter rather than the material details :)

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 pm

mskei wrote:

roflmao I would screw up my nose at fruit cake to lol but i love choc

We are having a 1 (smaller layer) fruit cake and a larger bottom choc mud cake teir

I think that the bride and groom must say hello to everyone
short ceremony
I hate long first dance songs esp when their is a father daughter dance after the first dance song
the venue is really important to me - i personally do not like a venue where you are confined to the one room/area
I love looking at the dress
I love seeing something unique in a ceremony/outfit/reception - something that rly shows the bride/groom's personalities
I hate when speachers g oto long lol

jane1082
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes, I tend to agree with most of these. At the end of the day for me, it isn't about how much money is spent etc or how flashy it is, it's about the people, and atmosphere. All I want is for everbody to leave saying that they had a Great Day/Night! It's funny someone mentioned the favours, I was up in the air as to whether to have them or not because I can't remember any of the ones I have received at weddings, although I have now opted to go for them!

Definately agree with the bride and groom talking to everyone, for us, I will be introducing my FH to quite a few people for the first time as he hasn't met everyone that lives in NZ, nothing like a wedding to meet the groom I guess :)
To be honest I spend so much time worrying about what other people are going to think about our wedding it does my head in. :? I just have to keep telling myself it is 'our' day.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 am

when my son got married, they decided to do a tag team thing with saying hello to everyone, they mingled seperately but got to speak to everyone even for a few minutes which everyone loved (plus they had their very cute 2mth old son who they were proudly showing off to everyone).
they got married on my mums bday and she had strictly told them not to make a fuss as it was their day, but my daughter in law bought her a small present she left for my mum, and during the speeches my son wished her a happy birthday and everyone sang to her, the best bit of the night for her was getting a picture with her, me, my son and his son. four generation and she loved it.
they really made it a family night and thats what everyone still talks about.

mskei

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am

MoolieMoo wrote:
mskei wrote:

rofl

You're hilarious!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.49