A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

daydreambeliever
Topic Author

Only 2 bridesmaids

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:45 pm

FH only wants 2 groomsmen. And tbh while there are 4-5 girls I wouldn't mind as BM I only have 2 I'd really want. But does it look...like Nigel No Friends....if we only have 2 each? Also the 2 girls I want are the same size and height and well..that makes things easier when shopping for dresses while the other 3 girls are short and one is a size 16 (others all size 8-10).
It will be a small 70-80 people wedding. I still want it to have a wedding feel (though part of me would like to elope I also think I might regret not having a wedding oneday-so wedding it is!)
Any thoughts on wedding party size?
Thanks girls!

Ashie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Only 2 bridesmaids

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 pm

The size of your bridal party is no indication of your popularity. Have people there who will be helpful and support you both on your big day.

We only had one person each as our best man and maid of honour - we wanted to keep the politics of family out of it and just have our best friends each and it was perfect.

daydreambeliever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Ashie wrote:
The size of your bridal party is no indication of your popularity. Have people there who will be helpful and support you both on your big day.

We only had one person each as our best man and maid of honour - we wanted to keep the politics of family out of it and just have our best friends each and it was perfect.

Strange, when others only have 1 each (ie Will & Kate) you don't think they are unpopular do you!
Thanks Ashie!

Kez

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Im only having 2 bridesmaids :) . I really dont think it matters if you have 1, 2 or 10. My mum suggested I have 3 cause she thinks it "looks better" but I dont want to have an extra one just because and FH only had two people in mind for GM so it worked perfectly for us.

daydreambeliever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh we will have 2 little flower girls too. Miss 7 and Miss 5, FH's nieces. Too adorable for words!

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I am only having 2. My sister (BM) and my good friend (MOH) (who is the best man's wife which i handy)

I dont really have a bestie or "a lot" of good friends so 2 is the most i could ever have. We are only having 40-45 people (family and very close friends only). We havent invited people who aren't in our lives full time (best way to put it i guess) and invited uncles and aunts only - no cousins.

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm

We're not having any! I didn't really want to have to organise my very un-girly sister in Sydney and FH's sister who lives in Adelaide. I don't have any really close girlfriends or any that I've known forever, so no friends that would be an obvious choice. Lucky for me, FH didn't want to have groomsmen either.

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm only having 2 bridesmaids. I personally think that it's easier to coordinate with 2 other people, dresses, shoes, jewellery etc, than if there were 4 or 5.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm only having 2 bridesmaids also - and to be honest, I'm not even sure if one of them will be able to make it to our wedding (she is travelling from overseas). FH only has 1 brother who will be his best man, and depending on my 2nd bridesmaids attendance, will ask one of his good mate to be groomsman, so we have even numbers.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that I am not having a big wedding party, I find it one less headache to worry about.

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 pm

2 is a good amount. I'm confused as to why you think it's odd. 2 is probably the most popular number. I don't think there is any wrong number but 2 is very much in the bounds of "the done thing" if that's what you're worried about....

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

I am having two even though FH is having three attendants. I love having two, it is so easy to catch up and I think it is easier to co-ordinate anything. I thought about having another friend as a third bridesmaid to even out the numbers but happy I didn't in the end, it would have been too hard to choose!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 am

I only had 2 for a larger wedding (120 guests). Its fine. I actually dislike bridal parties with too many attendants. Its distracting.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 am

only had two at my first wedding and I think thats a good number, this time we will just have one each

have photographed a few weddings and find the smaller bridal parties much easier and look nicer too

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I had two bridesmaids, and my DH had a best man and a groomswoman. It looked fine on the day and in the photos & did not look like we were 'unpopular' at all. It is a nice number, easy for the photographers etc to work with, easy to fit in the space/church/venue etc.

PinkRoses

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 pm

My sister had 6 bridesmaids at her wedding and her wedding had only 60 people. I didn't think that it was a good idea. I think that 2 bridesmaids are ideal. (one as Maid of honour and one as bridesmaid). It became hard to get everyone together to go shopping, (because everyone had committments of some sort) and to find a dress everyone liked. (someone always had a complaint either about the style or colour or both). Very, very stressful.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 pm

I'll be having three but there is nothing wrong with having two. You don't have to have a massive bridal party plus there is no point having people that you won't be friends with long term anyway.

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 pm

my FH and I are only having one person each in our bridal party

the main reason for this is cost - we are paying for the bridal party outfits and etc

dont worry about people juding you based on your bridal party size - you will be judged on so many things during the day/night if you worry about what others think you wont have a good time

daydreambeliever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am

KG'sGirl wrote:
I'll be having three but there is nothing wrong with having two. You don't have to have a massive bridal party plus there is no point having people that you won't be friends with long term anyway.

Yes-good point!

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

we had one each as that was all we wanted. we've both been in several weddings and the more attendants, the harder it is.
plus i wouldn't let size/height come into it at all. i'm always the little one at the wedding - only 5 feet tall and DH is usually the tall one 5"11

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Im having two and FH is having none!!!! Its not really a cultural thing for him to do. It sure makes it easier and cheaper! ahhaha
GZIP: On | Load: 0.52