A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

How Long to Plan A Wedding?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Ladies,

I am a complete wedding newbie, first of anyone I know (besides a distant cousin, and her wedding was boring, so not looking to take any tips off her), to get married, so I will admit I have no idea what I am doing! My FH is being a huge help, but I want to do a lot of the planning, I figure I will only get this shot once. But I was just wondering how long you all spent planning your wedding. I don't want to have too little time, but at the same time, I am so busy I don't want to to have to start hardcore planning just yet either.

So how long did you spend planning you're wedding?

Any tips when I should start doing things? Anything that took longer than you thought it would? Anything that wasn't as time consuming as you first thought?

Thanks!!

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Re: How Long to Plan A Wedding?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 pm

We were engaged for 27 months but we wanted a long engagement. I would say 12 to 18 months but of course it can be done sooner

Wombatta
I survived and got married

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi miss summer,

We took 5 months to plan our wedding.... So less than the average here but I think it was plenty of time for us to plan everything exactly how we wanted it....Got engaged this January and started planning our august wedding in mid Feb. My hubby and I were very keen to get married and so we prioritized all of the decisions to get it done on time.
We also planned a move overseas and a second reception overseas at the same time, so it was very busy but so worth it!!

So its really up to you and your FH as to how long you want to plan your wedding.... Best of luck with your planning and congratulations!! :D

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 pm

It has to be at least 1 month and one day as thats what you need for the legal bit haha.

Friend of mine got married in 8 weeks. It's really up to you. Especially if you have particular suppliers in mind, they can book up to 18months + in advance

darkphoenix

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 pm

We had 5 months for ours but I was really sick and unsure if it would get worse and I'd be well enough to walk down the aisle. Honestly, I would have liked even just another month or two but it's more then possible. I still procrastinated a lot through that 5 months and part of me thinks if I had more I would have changed my mind a thousand times, with it being so short once I made a decision I kind of had to stick with it. I think 8-12 months would be ideal, any less can be a bit stressful, anymore I think I'd get too impatient :P

And you've definitely come to the right place, I was the first in my group of friends to get married and I'd only been to a couple weddings, all distant cousins so really had no idea. I would have been lost without the lovely ladies on here :)

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:58 am

I would book anything that is really important to you asap. We are a small cake decorating business run from our home. Because our quality is really good and we are cheaper than larger businesses, we get really busy. We limit how many weddings we do a week to make sure that everything is perfect for each client. I know other home or small suppliers i.e. florists, cakes, invitations etc. are the same. We often have 2year bookings. So don't feel silly booking early. To me it is so smart, you get who you want, at a price that is current now. It gives you time to pay for everything and you save money. It can't get better than that. There is a reason that the early bird gets the worm.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

There is a big difference between how long it actually takes, and how long others have taken. We had an 18 month engagement simply because I wanted a not inexpensive day and we wanted to pay cash for it. Given we got married on a Sunday in May though we easily could have planned with as little as a few months notice due to our off peak day and month.

If you want a Saturday in September or October though you will need more time up your sleeve to secure the suppliers you want :)

melyz86

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Although we had been engaged for 5 years we only set a date around March this year (can't remember exact date) and were married 1st September so around 7 months for us. Honestly I don't think I could have handled any longer than that, mainly because I get bored easily and I'd sit down and look at a topic and become really indecisive and not sure what I want. The other thing I think that has been already mentioned is be prepared for your ideas to change. Things I was looking at when we first got engaged were completely different to how our wedding ended up. I think this is more so to do with dreams vs reality. In the end we had the realistic wedding and not what dreams are made of which I was completely fine with. At the end of the day I am married to a wonderful man and that is all that matters to me. :)

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 am

I think it depends how particular you are on a particular venue and other people eg. hair and makeup artist as these will book up very quickly for peak wedding season.

We were engaged in October last year and are getting married in November this year and for me this has been a good amount of time as we did a lot of the main bookings almost straight away then had breaks in between planning. It helps to make sure you're not spending all your time planning! Now as we are getting closer all the finer details have to be worked out and we can get excited about the big day!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:38 am

We started planning at the end of January for a November wedding. We booked the venue and the photographer right away. Our venue already had lots of wedding bookings for November so we went with December 1st. Our photographer was booked for the weekends around ours, but had had a cancellation for our date so it was available for us. In March, I picked and ordered my dress, which the store said would take 4-6 months to arrive, and we booked the DJ. We booked our celebrant and cake lady in May. We then did no wedding planning/booking until August, and then I booked hair and makeup.

I think it can definitely be done in less time, but as the other ladies said, it depends on the popularity of your vendors and the time of year you want to get married. Wedding planning has been very cruisy for us so far, we haven't felt too rushed when booking things. I did get a few worried looks when I went dress shopping in March, but my dress has been sitting in the store for over month now and my fitting isn't for another month, so there was no problems there.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 pm

It is really different for every bride.

Some brides on here are planning 2 years in advance, I however got engaged in February and my wedding is on the third november so only 8.5 months from engaged to married but i had everything booked within 3 months ( i went overseas for 3 months)

It depends when you want to get married? do you want it now or can you wait?
what kind of wedding do you want? small or elaborate?
Do you have the finances now or do you need to save? how long will it take you to save?
answer these questions then you can set a date and start planning :)

and congratulations :D

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm

stormageddon wrote:
It is really different for every bride.

Some brides on here are planning 2 years in advance, I however got engaged in February and my wedding is on the third november so only 8.5 months from engaged to married but i had everything booked within 3 months ( i went overseas for 3 months)

It depends when you want to get married? do you want it now or can you wait?
what kind of wedding do you want? small or elaborate?
Do you have the finances now or do you need to save? how long will it take you to save?
answer these questions then you can set a date and start planning :)

and congratulations :D

I am in a similiar situation.. We got engaged on Boxing day last year and are getting married on our six month anniversary in October. When my FH intially suggested this idea, I was like, "You can't plan a wedding in ten months!". But luckily, because we are getting married on a Thursday, we had no trouble booking anything. I did a lot of research on photographers and after speaking to a couple of self obssessed idiots, I went with a great photographer who is new to Oz. Other than that, I relied on my reception's recommendations. I feel that somehow I was kinda being somehow lured into advice that I didnt need, but I found the perfect celebrant and florist and it certainly takes out the stress of worrying about the intregity of these people. The stressful part for me, was planning the whole thing from overseas. You cant meet people face to face etc, plus FH has been away wayyyyyyyy too much for business this whole year and I have literally done everythig myself! I spent a whirlwind three weeks back in Oz meeting and organising everything, including my dress! In terms of the dress, it really depends on what you are after.. I found the most wonderful dress designer based in Brisbane of whom I had the pleasure of meeting with in Melbourne. She helped me try on some dresses and after getting an idea of what I was after, put two dresses together and made my perfect dress.. in two months! (well at least I hope so, my fittings arent until I arrive in Oz on the 4th October). I am only just now feeling calm about it all.. In all honestly, I never ever want to plan anything like this ever again. It has totally consumed my life!

On the other hand, one of my friends got engaged last month and from then to the actual wedding will be a total of eight weeks! Like others have said, its really about what you want or the way that you have dreamed your ideal wedding to be, before any timelines can be decided. The day after I got engaged, my sister and I checked out her favourite wedding reception (which is actually the reception we chose in the end, and booked it without FH seeing it!) and all of the weekends for the follwing Oct, Nov and Dec were already booked.

Good luck and congrats!

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 pm

my first wedding planned it in three months from time we set the date to the actual day, wasnt a huge affair and had alot of help from family and friends with the big price items for the wedding (they were done as our wedding present)

this time will probably be about the same, getting married in registry office, then out to lunch after, no flowers etc just a very initmate time with us and the people who matter most.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:54 am

I organized my first wedding ceremony in a week. Extenuating circumstances made this necessary. But I had flowers, cake, catering, minister and guests. So believe you me anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you so much ladies- you've all be so helpful!

At this stage we're still got over a year- but realistically FH and I will not have a weekend free to look at venues until late November. We're set a goal to try and have our ceremony and reception venue booked by Feb next year. We also are trying to go to our pre-marital counselling before the end of the year (a condition of most uniting churches).

We actually had our ceremony venue sorted, but then we realised that it wasn't air-conditioned and we were planning a summer wedding. And it only sat 90 and our guest list is hovering around the 120 mark. So we may have to change...

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:43 am

seaweed wrote:
I organized my first wedding ceremony in a week. Extenuating circumstances made this necessary. But I had flowers, cake, catering, minister and guests. So believe you me anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

That is absolutely incredible!! How many guests?

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:25 pm

seaweed wrote:

How does that work when you need at least 1 month and one day from filing the paperwork?

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 pm

as seaweed said there were Extenuating circumstances and I know that they can rush it faster than the 1 month period if neccessary

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 am

Our engagement will be exactly 1 year when we marry in 4 weeks time. I had most things sorted 6 months ago and its just down to the bits and pieces now to sort out.

I too have not been to a real wedding (that i would take pointers from) as an adult so i have winged it the whole way. The girls here are awesome at helping out and giving opinions and you get every angle too. Listen to them they are worth it. They have saved my sanity (and given me more opitions than i know what to do with).

Good Luck
Last edited by adrienne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks Adrienne!

I have been inspired to get my butt into gear and have met with the minister at the church we are hoping to get married at and now just need to confirm the date by the end of the month and take a marriage preparation course. I am hoping to have the reception venue booked by the 12 month mark and the dress will be ordered on by the 11 month mark (I am 90% set on a Style, just have to wait for Mum and MOH to visit so they can give it their blessing before we order). Then have to look at photographers I suppose, which I am not enthused about, seems hard!

The ladies here are amazing! I don't know how I would be doing it without them! :heart:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.33