A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: How Long to Plan A Wedding?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 am

we started planning 18 months in advance, it was meant to be 12 months but my sister got engaged 2 weeks after me so we negotiated so she could get married during uni break but our weddings were not to close together, and still our venue was booked out for all Saturdays, so we ended up going with a Friday which we have coped a bit of flack for, starting early has been a blessing and a curse as I have changed my mind heaps and prob wasted money

oohlalisha
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 pm

StephMT wrote:
seaweed wrote:
I organized my first wedding ceremony in a week. Extenuating circumstances made this necessary. But I had flowers, cake, catering, minister and guests. So believe you me anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

How does that work when you need at least 1 month and one day from filing the paperwork?

My friend signed her NOI about a week before her wedding - the Celebrant just backdated it when she submitted it to Births, Deaths and Marriages

We started planning the wedding about 2 weeks before we announced our engagement - and we're doing it all in just under 6 months. We chose to have a short engagement cos we figured it would make us make decisions and would be easier to keep costs down. All the vendors we wanted were available and are now booked and have deposits down, my dress will arrive about 3-4 weeks beforehand. We're having the reception in my parent's backyard and are self catering so that part was easy to sort (I think my mum has been planning it longer than I have. I don't mind, she has great taste!)

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I started planning my wedding about 9 months before our wedding date

TBH planning a wedding is not that time consuming (or maybe i am just missing a whole a lot of typical wedding touches)

The venue is the first thing that you must find as it will impact on dress design and etc. I got really stressed out when trying to find a venue as all venues offer different packages and it can be difficult to work out the best option. My tip is to choose a venue that will pay for table centrepeices and chair covers as this will save you a lot of money.

By organising my wedding a fair bit ahead of schedual I have been able to complete wedding tasks i.e. making invitations and accessory shopping when i feel like it rather than completing tasks when im not in the mood

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm

oohlalisha wrote:
My friend signed her NOI about a week before her wedding - the Celebrant just backdated it when she submitted it to Births, Deaths and Marriages

Lawyer friend did not read this.... Sooooooo against the Act and the professional standards.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 am

StephMT wrote:
seaweed wrote:
I organized my first wedding ceremony in a week. Extenuating circumstances made this necessary. But I had flowers, cake, catering, minister and guests. So believe you me anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

How does that work when you need at least 1 month and one day from filing the paperwork?

From memory, if there is any reason for it to be rushed, such as illness for example, you can apply for it at such short notice however they are allowed to turn down your application if they feel your reasons are not valid.

I thought I posted in here :lol: All up, from engagement to actual wedding will give me 22 months.....but all I've done so far is email vendors (mostly venues) and got my dress. As soon as the venue is booked, my next step will be making STDs for our interstate guests and my family who are all overseas. Then I will find a celebrant, send out the remaining STDs and decide what is next important to us on the list.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am

nonirose wrote:
L.I.W wrote:
oohlalisha wrote:

Lawyer friend did not read this.... Sooooooo against the Act and the professional standards.

and can make the marriage invalid if theyre caught and the celebrants licence can be revoked....

This is also true. Ladies, there is a Code of Practice for celebrants. I've noticed a few people are saying their celebrants are backdating the NOIM. Its a HUGE no no and means they are performing your ceremony in contravention of the Act as I understand it. Make sure you research properly and get a celebrant who will perform their duties well. The NOIM is not a complicated form and there is no reason apart from laziness/inattention etc for it not to be done on time.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

^^Thank you for that :)

oohlalisha
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:00 pm

L.I.W wrote:
This is also true. Ladies, there is a Code of Practice for celebrants. I've noticed a few people are saying their celebrants are backdating the NOIM. Its a HUGE no no and means they are performing your ceremony in contravention of the Act as I understand it. Make sure you research properly and get a celebrant who will perform their duties well. The NOIM is not a complicated form and there is no reason apart from laziness/inattention etc for it not to be done on time.

I did think it sounded a little suss that they did that (it was going on 10 years ago, though that's no excuse!)
We did ours a couple of weeks ago, so I know we should be right.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.9