A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

michelle1089
Topic Author

Planning your own hens party?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:15 pm

So, as a teen i dreamed of an awesome hens party that all my best friends organised as a farewell to single life... but now that i am actually getting married no one is willing to organise me anything :cry: Im a little upset about this!!

If you have read my previous posts then you may remember my rogue MOH who i can not get to do anything!! i couldnt get her to choose a dress for months!! and my other bridesmaid, while she tries, works full time and has a lot on her plate... neither of them really want to even hear about planning a hens party...

so what should i do? I asked some of my friends if they could help but they all said no... and I am too busy to do it all myself, i have exams, wedding planning, buying a house... and my wedding is only 2 months away now :cry:

has anyone else had this happen to them??

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Planning your own hens party?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm

never had a hens night with my first marriage as my MOH (my sister) couldnt be bothered and it wasnt an issue for me at the time.

this time around I let everyone know what I would like, as I am not a going out clubbing type person (and I am too old for that these days lol),. so I wanted a girls pj party, chick flicks, pizza, alcoholic punch, chocolate and plenty of daggy dancing. I have moved interstate now so wedding plans have all changed but I am going to go back home before I get married and have the girls night, as a lot of them cant make it to the actually wedding.

if you want a hens night then yep go for it, then you will have the night you want

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 pm

I would plan something small doing something that you want to do - like a girls night/PJ party like the above poster suggested.

I have a feeling that no one will be organising my hens night and I don't want to go out and party - so I know the feeling.

Your hens night doesn't have to be a massive clubbing night or anything like that - even if you spend the night in with a few girls enjoying the time before you get married.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 am

That is a shame nobody is willing to help out, my hens night is coming up in a couple of weeks and I am so glad not to have to organise it, there are just so many things to think of.

Do you have another friend or family member you could ask to help you out? Say for example you decided what you wanted to do - maybe something lowkey like a pyjama party or dinner and drinks and leave the rest to them? If you are going to have to do all the planning it doesn't seem worth it to me but if you really don't want to miss out I would be trying to rope in anyone I could!

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 am

I think it's perfectly fine to plan your own hens night. It's a shame that no one wants to do it for you but at least this way you get have what YOU want. My hens night is in 3 weeks and I have not been allowed to know anything and while i know the girls have tried really hard I am kind of scared too

Digitalista
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I am in kinda similar situation. MOH is super busy working, studying and multitasking. So far she keeps telling me shes contacted the place and will get on to it. The date is 1 month away and I have to send out invitations because she has no time.. . the other BM are both the same.. . Even though I organised one of their hens nights for them.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I wish I had organised mine. My mother and aunt offered to help my BMs. Apparently that meant hijacking the whole thing and turning it into every tacky awful thing I never wanted. There were penises, penises, penises, sashes, flashing brooches... everything I did not want. Luckily the Hen's Night I really wanted (a nice meal and some cocktails) was able to occur a few days later but I will be eternally scarred by what my family did to me! Especially given they know I hate tack!

And no offence to those who love fake penises, sashes and brooches - just not my thing...

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 pm

L.I.W wrote:
I wish I had organised mine. My mother and aunt offered to help my BMs. Apparently that meant hijacking the whole thing and turning it into every tacky awful thing I never wanted. There were penises, penises, penises, sashes, flashing brooches... everything I did not want. Luckily the Hen's Night I really wanted (a nice meal and some cocktails) was able to occur a few days later but I will be eternally scarred by what my family did to me! Especially given they know I hate tack!

And no offence to those who love fake penises, sashes and brooches - just not my thing...

OMGosh I have warned my BM i do not want any fake penises! or real ones for that matter! I just want a girls night out of cocktails and dancing

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm

stormageddon wrote:
L.I.W wrote:

OMGosh I have warned my BM i do not want any fake penises! or real ones for that matter! I just want a girls night out of cocktails and dancing

Well don't invite my mum and aunt and you should hopefully be okay! I can chuckle about it now, but it was very cringe worthy.

anjelik
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 pm

I'll probably plan most of my own.. not because I don't trust my MOH (SIL) but because we have very different ideas of what constitutes fun- I definately want at least a nice dinner before we all go out and get hammered >< She'd just go straight to the booze!

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 pm

L.I.W wrote:

LOL - there are tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard at the image of you on your hen night :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fake penises and flashy badges are definitely not my thing either.....I think I will organise my own hen after hearing your horror story :lol: :lol: :lol:

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey, I am planning my own Kalgoorlie one - Just BYO drinks and $5 for pizza at my house this weekend. Just tossing up if i should bother with games or any of that stuff. The girls who insisted and told me they would plan it for me wont even be there (bad timing is all) so i cant be bothered and its not like i have a heap of people coming anyways.

My sister and MOH are planning my one at home but i told them i was happy with dinner and see where we end up. I told them i am not interested in strippers or tacky stuff. Then my smart a$$ mother said "it didnt even enter my mind, but now you say that..." I dont think she would do it to me but. The night before the wedding we will probably have a bit of another one as all our guests are coming from interstate and wont be able to attend the one the weekend before, and this way i can invite people from home who i have not invited to the wedding. The night before i think we are just going to have cocktails in one of the rooms while the boys go to the pub.

If you do decide to do it, why dont you look up an activity in your area - i would of loved to but there is NOTHING exciting to do here or at home! If you are near a city maybe go quad bike riding or a cooking class or something - just type "hens night ideas" into google. That way it doesn't need to be raunchy or disgusting but you still have fun doing something you always wanted to do.

I wanted to do paintball but figured purple round bruises all over all of us wouldn't look that great in the photos lol.
What area do you live or will be having your hens night? I can google lol

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Neither of my BM's could be bothered to organise mine which made me really sad, and it was left so late that my friends weren't really given enough notice. I was ready to just go into the city by myself but my mum found out and decided to organise something for me. A few friends were able to come and it was an ok night, not really where I would have chosen to go as I kept getting pulled up on stage with all the other hens etc and I'm not really into that so it was really embarrasing, but I'm grateful that my mum organised something.

So yeh, there's nothing wrong with planning your own, at least you get to do what you want, but make sure you don't leave it too late like I did (I guess I was hoping right up until the end that they would organise something/that they had a surprise arranged etc).

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Well girls just had my kalgoorlie hens night i planned - lol - invited a few ppl from work and so friends to my place for nibbles and pizza on sat night. We didnt end up ordering pizza but we still had fun. The girls from work were sneaky and bought me a photos album and another friends gave us a guest book (which was good cause i havent bought one yet).

So all in all, even though i planned it and we didnt have the silly games (although they bought the ***** straws lol) it was a nice relaxed casual girls night in. So if that's your scene im sure you'll have fun too. Dont get too worried and do something that suits your taste. it doesnt have to be about all the hype - just do what you want.

karamelka

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm

My MOH was very keen to orginise my Hens but I did pretty much everything myself as I had my own ideas of what I want and prefer to be in control. So if you want to orginise your own hens that it is nothing wrong with it. I know couple of brides who orginised their hen's and it was great!!

michelle1089
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi everyone! thanks for the ideas!!

I have planned my hens party, Im having a pink ribbon morning tea to raise money for breast cancer :D

So im quite happy with that, all the oldies will be invited, including furure mil :/

im ordering a heap of pink cupcakes and having pink lemonade and some fun games that we will play! so it should be fun and also raise money for a good cause!!

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

My MOH lives in S'pore and she can't come to Syd for my hens so she's offered to organise a separate hens do for me in S'pore. A close friend from uni has offered to throw my hens party in Syd. She's a great girl to hang out with and we always have fun so I'm sure I will have a great time. Problem is she is also the most disorganised person I know and part of me is worried that the hens night will not go ahead because she's left it too late and I really don't want to have to organise my own hens do. I figured closer to the date, I might drop a few hints to remind her to start planning and if nothing happens, well at least I'll still have my hens party in S'pore.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

michelle1089 wrote:
Hi everyone! thanks for the ideas!!

I have planned my hens party, Im having a pink ribbon morning tea to raise money for breast cancer :D

So im quite happy with that, all the oldies will be invited, including furure mil :/

im ordering a heap of pink cupcakes and having pink lemonade and some fun games that we will play! so it should be fun and also raise money for a good cause!!

What a great idea! And turning it into a good cause, good on you :heart:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.7