A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Thirdtimer
Topic Author

No idea...advice please

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 am

Hi Ladies.
Looking for some advice please. This is my third marriage but I've never had a wedding! Yep...this will be the first time I wear the dress, walk down the aisle, cut the cake etc. I have absolultely no idea what to do. I've never even been a bridesmaid.
So far I've managed to book the venues and get the dress. I found the perfect Vera Wang on a recent trip to New York. My 2 best friends are my MOH and BM. I have no idea what they should be doing and what I should be doing.
My FH (which I guess stands for fiancé ) is finding the photographer, the celebrant and the transport. My two sons are going to walk me down the aisle and my oldest is going to mc at the reception.
Where do I go from here?
I know I might sound a bit naive but I never wanted a wedding so I never looked at magazines and planned my big day like a lot of women do. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and quite stupid at the moment so appreciate any advice please.
Thanks so much

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: No idea...advice please

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am

another third timer like me - welcome! you'll find lots of helpful hints and advice here! :)

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 am

hi and welcome and congrats on your upcoming wedding

its second time round for both my FH and I, our first weddings were very low key and this one will be the same. we both decided we didnt want a traditional wedding as such, but are keeping some of the "old fashioned" traditions.

we are getting married in a beautiful park near were we live, oldest son is walking me down the ailse, youngest son will be my witness.

I am wearing a shorter length dress (1950 inspired), a small bouquet (my sister is making for me), family members are our photographers (fh hubby is a photographer so they are feeling the pressure lol). then we are going for lunch at the hotel opposite the park after.

our families are flying in from interstate. I am making cupcakes instead of having a normal cake, there will be no wedding decorations etc and the "favours" are the cupcakes.

as its been mentioned your wedding is the day you and FH want, so sit and chat about what is important, whats not. You dont have to have every single thing that is considered the norm these days, just go with what you guys want.

good luck and hope to hear more of how its all coming together :)

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 pm

How long do you have to organise everything? I would get flowers, cake, music booked next.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Welcome :)

If you've got an Android or iphone, download one of those wedding planning apps and it'll come with a list of things you need to do and when you should ideally have them done by. For my wedding, I prioritised my tasks as follow:

- set the date (I know it sounds a bit duh, but almost all suppliers are gonna be asking you this before you even start discussions)
- book your celebrant. For me personally, this is the 2nd most important because you literally will not be able to get married without one.
- book your ceremony/reception venue
- book your photographer./videographer (if you're having one).

If you use a wedding planning checklist, it'll be alot easier to work out what else needs to be done (flowers, music, hair/makeup, rings, cake, invites, etc)

Thirdtimer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Wow! Thanks so much to everyone for your warm welcomes and valuable advice. We have venues booked for a garden wedding and evening reception for April next year. I had no idea that the celebrant and flowers had to be sorted so I'll get onto that now. I'm so glad I found this forum. It's so helpful :)

jane1082

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Welcome!

I may not be able to offer loads of advices but welcome!

X
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15