A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

carmen84
Topic Author

anyone DIY makeup

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 pm

A friend of mine did her own makeup for her wedding awhile back and it got me thinking...how many of you did it yourself?
I mean kate middleton did her own so who says we can't! lol. With the cost of things it probably is worth considering and there's lots of youtube vids and tips we can get off people.
Would love to see pics of ppl who did their own or trials. I'm thinking of practicing well in advance and taking photos in different lighting to see if it looks ok, and if not still have time to get a makeup artist.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: anyone DIY makeup

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I was considering doing a make up application course in preparation for DIY-ing my wedding day make up. I ended up not going ahead with this idea and booked a hair and make up lady as I wanted my mum, MIL & BM to feel pampered on the day.

Good luck to you if you do decide to DIY

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:08 pm

I did my own hair and makeup for my first wedding, it wasnt hard and compared to make up artists at that time it was cheaper and I didnt run the risk of looking like a clown (first marriage was in the 1980's)

this time around I am pampering myself and getting my hair and makeup done on the day, we are making it a girly pampering session with the female guest coming to my wedding so it will be fun and lots of laughs

carmen84
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Haha yeah want to avoid looking clownish...

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:22 am

I am no where near talented enough to do my own hair and makeup - but I highly recommend trials before the big day to avoid clownish appearances.

Kourtz88

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 am

This is one thing I decided I had to get done professionally. My SIL did her own makeup and it did look lovely but I just don't want to feel worried about getting it perfect on the day, and I can never do my eye shadow as good as a MUA..

If you are interested in doing your own, I am pretty sure Napoleon does short courses and they could teach you? The cost of the session you can then use to purchase makup with, so it sort of ends up free..

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Just another note on the courses - I'm a member of Living Social & Deals Direct (and a hundred other discount websites) and they regularly offer cheap make up application courses so if this is something you are interested in, keep an eye out as you could potentially save youself some dosh...

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

I think if you are confident doing it yourself, go for it :)

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

If you are confident and you know you will be happy with it, go for it!

I usually do my own make up for parties and events but for a wedding, it has to last all day so I have no issue paying someone to do it for me and ensure that it lasts all day. Make up artists aren't what they used to be and there are many out there capable of producing a very beautiful, natural look that will stay on the whole day, and some can highlight and hide features to make sure it looks flawless in photos.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 am

I hate doing my makeup in general and would have no idea how to do more formal makeup. I think if you are confident with it and very particular with what you like then definitely go for it. I would recommend talking to someone eg. at a Mac counter about any products to ensure that the makeup lasts all day and looks fresh in photos.

carmen84
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah i'm not a makeup person, so would probably pay for a makeup artist. I'm just interested in seeing how people went doing their own and if it lasted the day/night. I just have to get a decent makeup artist, every time i've paid for one, my head is a different colour to my body in the photos haha
At my sisters wedding she hired the daughter of a work mate who had just finished her training and would do our makeup for fairly cheap. Well she spent nearly an hour on each of us (4 including bride) and in the end my mum had to tell her to stop because the cars had arrived and the drivers were getting antsy about leaving on time, so mum had an incomplete face, but fixed it up on the way to wedding. I actually was wiping off makeup and redoing it because it looked hideous (think strong outlined eyebrows,foundation mismatch). My sister had a trial which she provided free of charge. We saw the pictures after and it looked shocking...very pale and washed out, hardly any colour. I told her to get someone else but being a work colleagues daughter, she didnt have the heart to dump her, as she was saying everyday how excited her daughter was to be doing her first wedding....we were guinea pigs lol

catherineaustin29

Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 am

I'll be doing my own, but while I've never taken any makeup courses, I do run my own beauty channel so I've been practicing for a while lol....I think the trick is to a) have practiced plenty before hand so you know exactly what you're doing, b) have good products that will last and c) not to stress too much, just think of it as any other day at work, putting on your makeup! (hard I know, but its what I'll be doing!) :)

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 am

I did my own :)

I just bought nice products along the way and practised as to what I wanted exactly. On the day it was perfect as my hairdresser ran 30mins late and then proceeded to take 2 1/2 hours to do my hair, (which had only taken 1 1/2 in the trial). So my photographer arrived and I was hadn't got any make up on. (My photographer wanted me dressed and fully ready).

So luckily I did my own make up, because I could wack it out in 20mins (usually MUA's take 45mins +).

I was happy with it, but I'm fully confident in my make-up abilities... I wouldn't recommned it otherwise :wink:

2bwed
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm meeting up with a Nutrimetics consultant next weekend to have a consultation in regards to what products suit my skin type, skin colour and so forth, and she's going to show me techniques for how to put it on. It's a fully free consultation, and obligation free. She tests products on me to see what suits, and then shows me in the catalogue what the product was if I want to buy it. We had a facial session with her a few weeks ago, and she was just amazing! I looove nutrimetics products now lol!

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Teska wrote:
If you are confident and you know you will be happy with it, go for it!

I usually do my own make up for parties and events but for a wedding, it has to last all day so I have no issue paying someone to do it for me and ensure that it lasts all day. Make up artists aren't what they used to be and there are many out there capable of producing a very beautiful, natural look that will stay on the whole day, and some can highlight and hide features to make sure it looks flawless in photos.

I agree with this. I normally do my own makeup, but for my wedding day, there is no way I would do my own.

Peaches1988

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I have two reasons why I booked at MUA

1. I am completely useless at applying makeup :lol: and I really want to look good especially for photo's so didnt want to risk me having a bad makeup applying day. I also only virtually no makeup so would have to buy everything which kind of cancels out the savings.

2. I wanted my sisters (bridesmaids) to be pampered and feel a special on the day. It will be so much fun the 3 of us having hair and makeup done together and the bonus is that all three of us will look super for photo's.

If you feel confident enough to do it yourself then go for it! Just remember you can't redo your wedding day so commit 100% especially if you planning on practicing and getting some good quality products.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.3