A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

phillipaelise
Topic Author

Ended Engagement

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 am

I broke off my engagement yesteryday morning. It's quite devastating for me and for my family.
I'm not happy, haven't been happy for awhile in the relationship. And it's all me! He is fantastic and a perfect fiancé - I'm just so unhappy with my/our life. I don't want to be back here in my home town working 5 days a week, buy a house, get married, have kids etc.
I love him like my best friend, not a lover or anything like that. I wish it was different!

So I think I'm going to go overseas and work as an Au Pair for awhile, so if anyone has done this or has any tips for me - please let me know!!

Thanks girls, I'll still be around in the threads a little cos I love this place!

carmen84

Re: Ended Engagement

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Sorry to hear, but your following your heart and saving more heartache in the future. A lot of people go through with a wedding when feeling this way and then all the drama follows, so you have done the right thing. Good luck in pursuing you dreams

stephie-lea

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

So sorry to hear phillipaelise :( I agree with the others, if its not right now, its better to call it off than to have further heartache later. Go and follow your dreams and see where they take you. Sending you a *virtual hug* :heart:

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 pm

So very sorry to hear that phillipaelise. :cry: Must have been so hard for you to make that decision. But like the other girls have said, you really do have to follow your heart. Hope that things get easier soon and that you find great happiness in your life. Big hugs! :heart:

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Sorry to hear things didn't work out but you were right to end it sooner rather than later.
You never know what may happen after you go travelling - once you get it out of your system, you might find you want to reconcile with your ex.

Sending hugs your way

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 am

Sometimes you need a break, to sort out your feelings. Whichever way you go, good luck. My dh & I split up for 15 months years ago, it was the best thing that could've happened. We did get back together again, but then he had grown up enough to deal with the issues that caused the split in the first place. I am not saying this is the case with you, what I mean is that sometimes the cobwebs need to blow away for you to see exactly what it is that you do want.

MrsPtoB

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

sorry to hear you are feeling very sad xx i hope you feel happier soon!
i just wanted to say that my sister is currently off au pairing in germany, she found many potential host families through a fantastic website, i'll find outt he website for you and let you know. it's so easy once you sign up to find a family! :)

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 am

I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like although it was a tough decision to make that it was the right one :heart:

I've got a friend au pairing in Paris at the moment for 12 months - she found her family through a website as well.

phillipaelise
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Thankyou so much everyone!!

I've registered on greataupair.com so far. I'm going to work for a few months and save some money before I start actively looking for a family to au pair for. I'm really nervous about - you hear lots of scary stories of of people who've had bad experiences! But hopefully should be fine.

I went and saw his mother this afternoon which was really nerve racking for me as she can be quite emotional and defensive of her children, but I knew I had to go and see her. It wasn't so bad, but his brother and sister are quite cranky at me ... Something that I hope will stop once they realise its better in the long run.

See him tomorrow at the bank to sort out the rest of our finances but I know it will be fine.

Just sooooooo sad! :cry:

CountryKate
Formerly known as futuremrsward

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 am

Sorry to hear you are so sad. I called my engagement off about nine months ago ( see http://forum.weddingcentral.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135089) and it has certainly been a time of mixed emotions but I can report that over the last few months things have certainly turned around for the better
GZIP: On | Load: 0.3