A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Gherkin
Topic Author

Cost of church wedding

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm

We have just heard from the Priest about the cost of the wedding.

He is charging $950 for a country church in South East Queensland.

That does not include flowers, order of service, organist or anything really apart from the Priest and the Church itself.

Is this normal?

The Church is only used once a month for services. There are no gardens to maintan. It is not being repaired or restored.

So I want to know, what am I paying for?

Oh and I also can only do approved readings in a certain Bible and all confetti (and I mean rose petals etc) is banned in case someone slips on them and sues (but bubbles are allowed which aren't slippery at all!) but it is in the bush and there are sticks, leaves and gumnuts which are ok apparantly.

So was this a normal charge for people getting married in a Church?

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Cost of church wedding

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Gherkin,
We got married in a church and it cost us $990. Admittedly it was a rather large old church in Sydney but it was quite similar to what you're describing. It covered the cost of hiring the church (it was stipulated that this was used for restoration purposes due to its age and use) and the minister. It also included pew decoration, main flowers at the alter and sorting out of the NOIM. It didn't include the organist either, but that was okay with us because we were wanting to use a string trio. I would imagine most church costs are reasonably similar. And depending on what church it is, they can be strict on what they allow to be said/sung etc during the service. We weren't allowed to use confetti but rose petals/bubbles were fine. Maybe you could sit down with the priest and discuss your concerns and budget? You never know they might be accommodating??

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Flowers, organist, bells, pew decorations and OOS are not generally included in the cost of the church. You are paying for the venue, minister's time and the paperwork fees.

That price is on the higher end of the scale but not unusually so.

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 am

That sounds about normal. As Kate said, the cost of the church relates to venue hire, priest's time.

Flowers, music and OOS need to be paid separately.

It's also not uncommon anymore for churches to request specific songs or readings. I think that could be to ensure that the readings and music and vows are appropriate for a mass (in their eyes).

Gherkin
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I guess I was comparing it to others weddings where they paid less and got more. Even though it is a church you are still paying for a service and I like to know where my money is going. It is on the high end considering it is an old rural church. Oh well, not much else I can do but pay it. Most churches in the area charge $250-$500 so was expecting the same.

KateM

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Old building require more maintenance, and there's probably more prep involved if the church is not open full time. Perhpas less is stored on site nad has to be brought in. Perhpas there is a travel fee for the minister if he doesn't live close. The down side of these things is they can charge what they want. If the venue is more important than the price, you'll pay.

$250 is incrediably cheap. Were those people members of the church. Often that can carry a discount.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.37