A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

anjelik
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

How did you involve your mum

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 pm

in wedding planning? FH and I have pretty much booked most things, and done it all by ourselves, but I think mum thinks she's missing out.

What did/are you guys doing to make your mums feel like they're involved and participating in the planning?

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Re: How did you involve your mum

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:25 pm

Well she is missing out. Even if you have booked most things you can still involve her just by talking things through with her. Show her what you are thinking for hairstyles, menus, anything really and ask her opinion.

sugarb_91
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 am

She can look at/discuss different hairstyles, help u find your jewellery, go shoe shopping with you, etc.
You could also talk to her about different centrepiece and bonbonierre ideas too.
If you're making your own invites she could help with that (or if you're getting them made u could ask her opinion about the design)
I also took my mum to the florist with me and she helped me pick flowers i liked.
There's plenty of ways to involve her! :D

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 am

for my first wedding, mum did the lot, I basically got dressed and showed up (wish I hadn't showed up now lol), this time around mum has passed but i'm involving my fmil as much as I can. Just calling her and giving her updates, showing her dress (well she is the one altering it), shoes, jewellry etc.

anjelik
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks guys :)

I want her to feel involved, but she was pretty unhappy we'd set a date so close to the house being built, so I just felt like she wasn't really interested in the first place.
I will get on board with the suggestions, thanks ladies :)

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:01 pm

FH and I are paying for this wedding ourselves, my parents have hinted at contributing but nothing has been put on the table.

FH and I have made alot of the big choices (date, venue etc) on our own but I try to discuss everything with my mum to keep her in the loop. She will be coming dress shopping with me, and probably will help with alot of the little things along the way. My mum is awesome at organising events etc (my whole family gets in together and helps out) so I'm sure she will be a god sent on the actual day.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

the first time I got married the only thing my mum told me she wanted to be involved in was seeing me in my wedding dress at the final fitting, so thats what she did, and even then she was her normal grumpy critical self.

I am the youngest of five girl and she told me right from the start of the wedding plans she was over the whole wedding thing and didnt want to know about it.

This time around when I got engaged she wanted to know everything and had an opinion on everything and of course I was doing it all wrong, Stopped talking to her about it then when we moved the wedding was put on hold.

This wedding I have had no input from anyone, have done everything myself but have wrote and told my mum about things and included pics for everything I have done, seems her old age and distance is making a difference as she thinks shes sooooo involved in everything and there hasnt been any catty comments so far.

I am carrying some scottish heather on the day, and that will be given to my mum along with a photo album from the day.

I think its nice to have mums involved IF they want to be, simple things such as talking about hairstyles, what sort of things on the menu or just being there to listen when you are bouncing ideas around. Its a big day for mums too, I know I loved being told things that were happening with my sons wedding.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

My mum:

Came dress shopping (with MIL)

Came to the florist

Helped me source bits and pieces for my centrepeices

Arranged the flowers in the church (I wasn't going to have them at all, Mum insisted so it became her job)

Came to a food tasting at the reception venue (will Dad and both ILs)

Made my cake (cutterfly cupcakes, and also arranged for my cutting fruitcake with my aunt)

My MIL helped me assemble my invitations.

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

DH and I were pretty strict about doing everything ourselves but my parents also contributed. She came shopping for my dress, bridesmaids' dresses and helped with choosing place cards and order of service books. She also wanted to help with the bridal shower so she helped MOH and I organise that.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Our mums will be the witnesses on the marriage certificate. i did everything without my mum
GZIP: On | Load: 0.26