A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

maz_29477
Topic Author

So confused ??

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Everyone ,

I need some help. My FH and I are having a very small wedding actually there will only be 7 people. We chose to do our wedding this way as on my FH side and my side of the family someone seems to hate someone, so we are getting married without anyone knowing, besides who will be there at the ceremony and then inviting everyone out for dinner then half way through announce that we had gotten married. We thought that would be a great surprise but now i'm worried who do we invite my FH and I don't want to invite alot of his relatives and mine now as its suppose to be about us but we know that if we don't invite some people they will cause drama, we'd prefer to spend it with our kids and close friends. Please help so confused

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: So confused ??

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 pm

If that had been DH and I, it would have been parents, siblings and siblings partners at a minimum. But that's still 13 in total including us.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

we are just having our kids and close family a total of 17 people..

if it were me in your situation (again just guessing as I dont know full circumstances) I would have your kids, parents from either side and two friends to be witnesses (or have parents sign paperwork if this would cause friction)

a girl I know had a surprise wedding, just their parents, and two witnesses and us taking pics, they had a lunch with those people afterwards then announced it to family and friends saying they were going to have a party later in the month with everyone involved.

I think she had probably about five people get cranky at not knowing but as she said the main people (their parents) were there

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:12 am

I actually agree with mrcm, I had a wedding with my children, our parents, my grandmother and 2 friends, it was lovely. We did have a party later on for some friends.

wannabemarried

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

You just have to think about what will make YOU (and FH) happy deep down. At the end of the day, it's your marriage and your decision!

We recently had a private wedding with just ourselves and our children (Our Celebrant provided witnesses) and then we had an "engagement" party one week later inviting all our family and close friends, and we announced that we were already married!!
It went really well, everyone was thrilled for us, and the few family members that "hate" each other could just come and go to this party as they please so they didn't run into/cause friction with anyone.

We had a DVD of our wedding photos to show everyone, plus a photo album there as well.

We just really preferred the stress-free wedding day that no one else knew about, so we didn't have to explain why we did/didn't invite someone. And it was still great to celebrate a week later with the people who mean the most to us :)

You'll make the decision that's right for you :)

maz_29477
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Thank you everyone,

I feel abit better now with your advices thanks so much, all giving me something to think about and wannabemarried sounds like you had a perfect day ,great idea hope you don't mind if i steal it lol, in the end all i want and need is my FH and kids there and no stress if everyone comes and just enjoys themselves i'll be happy thank you all :-)

MattPalmer

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 pm

I hear you! My wife and I escaped to Norway for our wedding and found it easiest not to invite anyone! That said maybe just immediate family and closest friends. The people you want to have around for such an important day and no one else.

We ruffled a few feathers but people will get over it eventually, and the ones that care about you the most will understand.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.4