A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

monalisa

Getting on with the in-laws.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Hello everyone,

it can be quiet difficult to plan a wedding when the 2 people involved are from different cultural backgrounds.

Invariably, each family wants to do it according to their own traditions, which can create friction between families.

Have any of you experienced this problem?

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Getting on with the in-laws.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 am

There have been quite a few brides that have had fabulous bi-cultural weddings. Taking parts of each culture to make an event that represents them. It might be a good idea to start with, for you and fh to make a list of what part of your cultures is most important for each of you. Then see how you can incorporate those together. Or you could have a round table brain storm with both lots of parents.

carmen84

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Aussie and Maori-
We are going to incorporate some cultural things into the reception e.g haka and maori music during ceremony.

Lucky I have had no problems in regards to the inlaws being bossy about what they want in the wedding...in fact i think we are going to have a hard time getting the mother to the wedding...she doesn't seem interested coming over.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

No issues with my in laws when we were talking about combining Aussie and Singapore cultures. Apart from not seeing me the day before the wedding and not seeing the dress, Mr snoopkat has been pretty easygoing about what traditions he wants to incorporate. My parents are insisting on the tea ceremony and dowry which is par for course for Chinese weddings. In laws are looking forward to the tea ceremony. All in all, we've been pretty lucky that both families have not asked to be involved with the wedding preps so it's saved us alot of hassle and potential arguments.

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 am

We had a Australian/Japanese wedding. Luckily there was no friction between my MIL wanting anything Japaneseish other than wanting to display a picture of me in a kimono with all the other photos of us.

I know one day (whenever that is!) we will have a Japanese ceremony so everyone will be happy!

monalisa

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm

It's good to see that most of you were able to incorporate both cultures into the ceremony.

When I first started planning my wedding, I was afraid it was going to cause problems, but thankfully that was not the case. We were able to do a Chinese Wedding on the first day and a Western wedding the following day.

Take care everyone.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.39