A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Updating facebook status on wedding day? Tacky or cute?

Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

I had a chat with our photographer last night to organise what shots we want for our wedding.

This morning I saw a funny photo where a couple are changing their facebook status as they get married!

I said to FH it would be cute to get a photo of us changing our facebook status. He said no as he thinks it is really tacky.

What does everyone else think? Tacky or cute?

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Updating facebook status on wedding day? Tacky or cute?

Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I think it could be done in a cute way - not as part of the wedding ceremony or anything important but it does depend on how much you use Facebook and how it important it is to you. It would depend on the style of your photographer etc. It could be cute to hold your phone showing your Facebook saying your married or something. Unfortunately, I think this is the way we are heading socially wise.

In saying that, FH and I didn't even make our engagement Facebook official until a week later because we wanted to tell our close friends and family first. I probably wouldn't get a chance to change my status until at least the day after, and most of the girls on my facebook change it within a few days.

Illikaeri
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I look forward to changing my relationship status and surname, but I don't think I'll be doing it on the day. I don't think it's all that important. I actually think I'll be avoiding using my phone for anything other than calls on the day.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 pm

my hubby posted a pic of us with the title married, before we headed to the lunch. All our family and friends are in WA so it was just so they could see a pic. Didnt change anything else on fb till after the lunch, was too busy having fun with everyone

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Tue May 14, 2013 11:04 pm

What about a third option? No one's business but the couple's? Just seems really judgy to me.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I don't think it's cute or tacky, it's really up to the couple what they choose to do with their status. I'm an FB junkie but I doubt FB will be high on my priority list on the wedding day. I will be most defo be updating my status when I go on my honeymoon! :P

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Wed May 15, 2013 2:23 pm

tacky in my opinion, who has time for FB on your wedding day?
the people in front of you are the ones who deserve your attention not the ones you didnt invite watching through fb.

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Well we decided we aren't going to do it! Besides, I don't plan on bringing my phone with me.

Mrs Babb to be

Thu May 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Wont be having to time to jump on Facebook that day or night! I have also requested that NO one postes anything of our wedding on Facebook as I could only imagine people being on my facebook page all day seeing if there has been anything that has been posted.

Miss Em

Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I personally wouldn't...but hey whatever they want

Mrs Babb to be wrote:
Wont be having to time to jump on Facebook that day or night! I have also requested that NO one postes anything of our wedding on Facebook as I could only imagine people being on my facebook page all day seeing if there has been anything that has been posted.

Agree 100%. How did you tell people? I have a few friends and cousins that live on fb and have previously posted wedding pics while the wedding was on.

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Agape wrote:
rhett's girl wrote:
Well we decided we aren't going to do it! Besides, I don't plan on bringing my phone with me.

Procrastination to the max here (I have an assignment due tonight) ...
I am having all these weird images of wear a Bride would put her phone?
-Tuck it into her garter?
-Down the bra?

And then further images of her phone ringing at the alter
-is it on silent with that silent vibrate that EVERYONE can hear
-does she answer it, or maybe asked the MOH to answer it for her
-does the priest (like one of my lecturers) grab the phone and answer for her

It is going to be a long slow night for me!

You are too funny! I didn't even think about where I would keep my phone!

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 pm

I am glad we at least put a pic up for our families in wa, it was one my stepson took on his dad's phone and then hubby posted it for everyone to see, that was enough for all of them to at least know the wedding went well and they got to see us as husband and wife. So many had sent cards and presents and to us it was the right thing to do.

ps I kept my phone in my clutch bag that my daughter in law had a hold of until we went to lunch, it also had all the other stuff I needed for the day, but I didnt check it till we got home :lol:

Mrs Babb to be

Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Good Afternoon All,
Miss Em, This is what I wrote:

"Adam & Pauline would like to request that all our family and friends respect the privacy of this very special milestone and reframe from posting any photos/videos on social media until further notice.

We truly thank you for respecting our wishes.
Much Thanks,
x

I think this is sort and sweet and most of all makes a point!
x

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm getting my celebrant to tell everyone before the walk in that we're having an unplugged wedding and therefore it will be very much appreciated if guests refrain from posting pictures up on FB until after the wedding is over. Knowing some of my friends though, this may or may not happen (one friend posted up a photo of my hen's do 2 seconds after the body painting model walked in :roll: )

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 26, 2013 12:19 am

We didn't have time for it. All our friends updated their statuses and uploaded photos so that was done for us really...

Personally I don't like it (I don't really want to call it tacky because I think there are other things that are tacky). I would rather be enjoying the day/night than jump on Facebook.

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Okay I have not posted here in AGES! But true to my addiction to WC, I do come on and check it occassionally (I don't know if I'll ever truely let go :oops: )

I had to post, because this topic just made me realise how far FB has come into our lives! It's craziness!!!

To answer the OP (even through I know you have made the decision not to now) I don't necessarily think it's tacky, but I wouldn't do it either. Honestly, on your big day I think (and hope) that FB will be one of the less important things on your mind :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.16