A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Lani84
Almost there
Almost there
Topic Author

Planning my Vic wedding from Canada!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

Hi!

Quick intro, my fiancee and I have just moved to Canada and managed to find and book our venue just before leaving! So, planning everything else from pretty much the other side of the world is going to be a challenge, but also part of the fun :o Only major plus is large selection of dresses at much lower prices in nearby USA!

Our wedding is in Sorrento Vic next march and next on the list to book is celebrant and photographer.. can anyone help with suggestions for suppliers on the Mornington Peninsula?
We have no idea what the average cost of these (or anything!) would be so any help would be great! Probably not wanting to spend more than $1k-$1500 on photography if it can be helped..
Has anyone ever picked a celebrant, photographer or anything else without actually meeting the suppliers first??

Also, our ceremony will be at 5.30pm with a cocktail reception 6-11, all at same venue. What is the go with photography? I don't really like the idea of doing photos before the reception (FH must see me in the dress walking down the aisle?!) How much time do photos take? Obviously we would like some photos with family, but don't want to miss too much of my reception taking photos! The venue is right on the beach though so we wouldn't be going far.

Any help you can offer would be great!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Planning my Vic wedding from Canada!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome to WC and Congratulations on your engagement. I can't help with any Vic suppliers as I'm Sydney based but there is quite a few girls here who can recommend people in the areas that you need.

When is your wedding?

Lani84
Almost there
Almost there
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 am

30th March 2014 is the big day, so need to get the big things sorted asap.

Lani84
Almost there
Almost there
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks MonssonPrincess!

5.30 is the time the venue has set for the ceremony, allowing the bridal party to access half an hour before. I might see what the celebrants and photographers suggest and request an earlier time, although it will probably mean an extra charge. I don't want this eating into too much time of the reception though, I know it will all go so fast and I want to enjoy every minute!

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:12 pm

hi and welcome

I just got married in sorrento and our celebrant was chris brember, he is brilliant, very helpful with lists of local suppliers too. Good luck with everything, Sorrento is a gorgeous place

https://www.facebook.com/#!/RememberBremberCelebrant?fref=ts

Lani84
Almost there
Almost there
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Wow thanks for your help & rec's :heart: :heart:

Emma Tomlinson is actually on my list to contact, and I absolutely adore Hello Blossoms work, have been getting inspiration from their website! Their minimum spend seems quite a bit though?
I also checked out Milk as they are recommended by Hello Blossoms but again seemed too much, but I might contact Mel anyway.
Thanks again, have some more to research now which is great :D

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:17 pm

these were the suppliers suggested to me, I actually didnt use them as I had everything organised but from the people who have used them they all gave glowing reports

photography
http://www.paigeleephotography.com.au/site/#/home/

cakes
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cakes-By-Rach/114211518605362?fref=ts

had the same recommendations for flowers that Lawwa gave and there is also a facebook page with the suppliers on the peninsula

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

I am also in a similar situation to Mrspony. I planned my Yarra Valley wedding in Japan. I was lucky enough to meet with my suppliers a couple of months prior, but a lot of it was based around Skype conversations! Thank god for that! It's def tough at times, but I also think, not being in the country lessens some of the stress because you are surrounded by it all of the time. I was amazingly lucky with all of my suppliers, and most of them I didn't bother to look further than my first choice. I had FotoJOJO for my photographer. I know that she would be able to tailor a package to suit your budget. I had Ann Flockhart as my celebrant, but I can also recommend Hazelene Anderson as a wedding celebrant.https://sites.google.com/site/peninsulacelebrant/

She is fairly new, but it was like she was born to be a celebrant!!

PM me if you need any more advice, suggestions etc!

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 am

I have my own cake decorating business and often make cakes to go overseas as well as delivery all over Victoria. Don't be put off by distance, we actually don't meet in person quite a few of our clients' until we deliver. You can get a "feel" of your vendor from the warmth and tone of emails, customer service and their willingness to accomodate your wishes. We send pics of our work and a flavour sheet to prospective clients as there are over 35 mud flavours alone. So if your vendor is efficient they will work with you in all aspects. Take your time and enjoy your planning, get to know your vendors (it is just the same as if you were here) and you will make wise decisions.

Lani84
Almost there
Almost there
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks everyone for your input & rec's, it sounds like most of the organising is done by email or phone calls these days anyway! How did brides ever organise anything without internet is beyond me :D
Have some rec's for photography and celebrants to go by now, so once they're done I'll get onto flowers and cakes, decorations, invitations, accommodation...the list goes on! Not to mention the dress! Excited, love all the research and planning, so glad there is forums like this though :heart: :heart: :heart:

S&A

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Lani,

great effort to organize a wedding here in Victoria from overseas. (We did it the other way and shoot some weddings in Europe this Australian winter). What really helps is to meet the suppliers via Skype. Esp. the photographer as he will be very close to you the whole day and a personal connection is in my opinion very important. You get far better shots when you can connect to your photographer and feel comfortable. A skype meeting is not ideal but it's the best you can do. :-). Similar applies to meeting a celebrant. You can have the meetings with your celebrant via skype ... a personal approach is very important.

You will also have no chance to see any sample albums ... so make sure you get an impression of the photography style by looking at a full real wedding online (something like this: http://wedding.freshphotography.com.au/2013/05/black-rock-wedding-sarah-lachlan/ ).

To answer your question with the photoshoot: It's totally up to you ... we for example to formal shoots fairly quick ... 15min ... we like to concentrate on the bride and groom and produce stunning photos with emotion of them. Most brides forget that light is far more important than the duration of the shoot. Try to aim for sunset ... you get the best light for photos. Everything from 30/45min (+travel time) is possible ... it depends what you want!

Have fun wedding planning ...
:)

sandra4tonny
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi and Congrats on your engagement,

I really cant help much as I am from Sydney but my photographer has just moved to Melbourne, arent you lucky :D

I highly recommend Vanity Image http://www.vanityimage.com there work is just amazing you just have to see it for your self.

Happy Planning :D

lorie_85

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

+1 for VANITY IMAGE

I am sooooooooo happy that I have FINALLY got engaged and the first thing that I booked is my photographer I have been stalking him for sooooo long hehehe

Sandra have you seen his latest video? omg it made me cry (i dont cry easily my FH was so surprised when he saw me cry, he is hoping that i will cry on the wedding day hehe)

but no matter what everyone says the most important thing on your day is your photographer as they will be the closest to you so its very important that you find someone that you will feel comfortable and that you will be yourself when they photograph you.

Florist: I still havent decided bwt those two
Norwood Flower Market
https://www.facebook.com/norwoodflowermarket?ref=ts&fref=ts

OR
Kate Hill Flowers
https://www.facebook.com/katehillflowers?ref=ts&fref=ts

I am still looking into the dress...

as for the Photobooth, they are great but I might do something different

Good luck in your planning :D

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Coral's cakes are really good. They are on the other side of Melbourne, but deliver to all areas. They have over 35 flavours and will send you pics at your request. The no. is 87632412.

s
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24