A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

cudles79au
Topic Author

DIY INVITATIONS

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi ladies , sorry if this is not in the right section but i'm wanting to create my own invitations to save money. Im not a creative person and am wanting some ideas of how i can achieve this. My bridesmaids dresses are a pinky colour with a silver and purple in it.
I was wondering if you ladies have any examples or ideas...
Im also wondering where the best place is to shop fpr the paper and accessories for the invites..I was thinking officeworks or spotlight?
any idea or feedback would be greatly sppreciated...and also how long before to send them out..Im getting married nov 07

shellann
I survived and got married

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 pm

I brought from officeworks cristina re printsation 2 I did all of my invites place cards for my wedding with this software it is pretty easy to use as well :D

C

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 pm

My advice, if you're not confident, is to stick with a simple design. Use beautiful paper, but keep the design simple to minimise the 'fiddlyness'. You'd also need access to a printer, and some weekends to put the invites together.

Something like this, is reasonably easy to make. The paper is Cristina Re paper, which you can find in most invitation paper shops.

Or a few layers of paper, DL-sized invite like this one.

As for paper, shop around a little. Officeworks is a good start, but check out some art stores too.

As for when to send them, it depends. I would say give yourself at least 3-4 weeks before the wedding to get all the invitations back (so that you can finalise numbers), then allow perhaps people 3-4 weeks to respond. So, I would say send it somewhere between 6-8 weeks before your wedding.

If you have a B-list of guests (whom you will only invite if there are declines from the first round of invites) OR if people will have to travel/organise accomodation for your wedding, then it's probably best to send it out earlier.

Good luck with it

Sandii2

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi there,

I don't really consider myself to be all that creative either but I managed, with the help of my friend, to do all of my invites last weekend! I thought it would be difficult and fiddly but honestly it was heaps of fun and I am really proud of how they turned out.

This is the link to mine on Photobucket.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142 ... nvite4.jpg

I went to my local scrapbooking place and got heaps of hints and tips from them about what paper is good, how to make them stick etc and just chose the colours and paper that I liked best. This place does invites for people as well so they had some good ideas to give me a starting point.

Good luck with them,

Cheers,

Sandii

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi, i went to officeworks and didn't find any nice paper :( I was trying to find the nice shimmery stuff, but the Five Dock (Sydney) store had jack! But i found the exact paper i wanted at "The Paper Place" in the MLC building and mum & i bought a little cheapy store out of all their purple & white butterflies.

Sandii2 - the ones i'm planning on making are very simple. I'm hoping to do a mock invite over the weekend - i'll post a pic of them once i've done them.

There's a store in Bexly that has lots of DIY stuff, but also invites for under $4 each.... You could also check out this website, that someone posted on WC not long after i joined up. They're very simple, but nice and quite good prices! http://www.nomie.com.au/wedding_showcase.htm

Just go through magazines and websites and work out what you want and how easy it would be to make it. Then, grab some plain cheap paper, textas and go for it - just to a REALLY rough one to at least see how it would look with the colours together!!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!

Sandii2

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 am

Hi again,

PrincessAJ i'd love to see them! I think it's great what we can do at home ourselves - such creative girls!

The OP who said it's best to stick to a simple design and choose beautiful paper is so right. There are lots of gorgeous scrapbooking embellishments and ribbon that you can dress them up with as well and it's a nice way of making the invitation unique.

I think with making them yourself you need to be mindful that depending on the paper and embellishments you use that it won't necessarily be cheaper than having them made by an invite place. You may still need to get envelopes and RSVP cards if you are sending them. I think for mine - 50 home made invitations, envelopes and stamps cost me a little over $200 - which I don't think is all that bad but it took a bit of time with the preparation to cut the card and paper and vellum and put everything together.

Best of Luck with it all and PrincessAJ I'll be checking back to see your gorgeous invites!

Cheers,

Sandii

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am

Hey Sandii2 - i've actually just done them lol!!! I posted some pics on here already - asking people for their opinions.... but i'll stick them on here too hang on a sec...

Ok - here's what i really like, but don't have enough of the smaller butterflies to do it this way :(

Before i did the 2 butterflies, i had the one big one like this:

But most people said they preferred the smaller ones. So then i counted and i just don't have enough of them - even if i do some on white paper using the small purple butterflies. So, then i went with this design - what do you think people?

tas12
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:15 am

Its a bit too balanced for me - what if you put the buttefly down over the ribbon in the middle?

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:19 am

Oooh - that looks quite cute!

Thanks tas12!!!!

sweetpea_delight
Mikey's Mrs
Mikey's Mrs

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:55 am

I think double butterflies are better

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:02 am

Yeah, i've decided to go the double butterflies for as many invites as i can, then i'll just do the others like in the above pic....

cudles79au
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 am

princess AJ i love it!! I think it looks great. and yet it's so simple..

Melanie79

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:46 am

What if you tried one big and one small in the corner like the original design?

Melx

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:32 am

Oooohhh... now i don't know!!!!! I'm gonna hafta show FH and let him decide lol!

Sandii2

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:08 pm

PrincessAJ they look great. I love the colours. I have always wanted a silver and purple theme but changed my mind so many times and eventually settled on the Black, Silver and Red theme. It fits in nicely with our Cocktail Reception but so far removed from what I always thought I would have! lol

I think the double little butterflies look great but so does the large butterfly down on the ribbon. Geez it's just too much sometimes isn't it? I bet you are having fun though being creative and just think - when it's all over you can say "I did them myself!".

Have a great weekend,

Cheers,

Sandii

Edited to add: The big and little butterfly looks great too. I am not much help am I???

Princess AJ
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Hey Sandii... no, you'renot much help lol!!! But that's ok - like i've said, i'll just show FH & he can pick which one he likes best!

Anyway, i hope this has helped you some - it was all pretty easy, i must say. THe hardest part is trying to decide which one! Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit though!!!!!!!!! I hope it's helped you at least a little bit though!

Caprice

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:17 pm

I liked the 2 little butterflies, or the big one in the middle on the ribbon, or the 2 mixed sizes.

Remember they don't all have to be identical. Guest don't compare invites, so you can always do half and half if you don't have enough.

This is what I did with my engagement invites. Half the guests got one type of pins, and the rest got different ones.

I highly recommend Printstation 2. Idiot-proof! (well, I used it anyway without exploding the computer) :lol:

FunStuff
I need a title
I need a title

Check out these great designs

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:12 pm

GZIP: On | Load: 0.48