A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

vibrant
Topic Author

See your FH before the ceremony... WOULD YOU?

Thu May 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I had the joy of photographing a wedding about a month ago on a Wednesday where the B+G saw each other for the first time Before the ceremony! They met up, had their location photos in the city (Sydney) with their bridal party and then went on to the ceremony (Cronulla Beach) then straight to the reception! It was the first time I shot a wedding like this and I really enjoyed it!

There philosophy was they wanted to be able to spend some time with each other after they saw each other for the first time (and not sitting down in the ceremony) and then they could go on straight to the reception so the guests wouldn't have to wait around.

Anyone else done this? It seems to be more and more common - WOULD YOU? :)

Jonathan

ThailandNic
is dreaming of pina coladas

Re: See your FH before the ceremony... WOULD YOU?

Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I think this is getting fairly common these days. I personally wouldn't do it, just because I can't wait to see his face when I'm walking down the aisle, but I understand how much easier it would be as far as the layout of the day!

Shoggs
I survived and got married

Thu May 29, 2008 12:56 pm

I won't be but then again the chapel that I am getting married in is about 20mtrs from the reception centre :D

I know quite a few people who have done this but they have tended to be way more casual weddings. Each to their own

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Being married already, I am so glad I didn't see DH before the ceremony. He left for the hotel the night before, so the first time we saw each other was when I was walking down the aisle.

It was the most magical moment - all our loved ones there, the amazing music echoing though the cathedral, walking in and seeing DH standing there, and him seeing me walking towards him... he had tears streaming down his face! It was quite overwhelming and wonderful. I think that would have all been lost had we met up beforehand. I wouldn't change a thing.

We spent time together after the ceremony in the cars, on the way to our photo shoot, and that was lovely. But for the sake of doing that before the ceremony, and losing that "moment" that we had - it wouldn't have been worth it for me personally.

I understand how having ceremony and reception running together would be easier for guests, but there's only so much I would give up for guests v. sacrificing the way DH and I wanted things to run. Our church and reception were both in the city, and guests had 3 months notice of the time in between. It does all depend on the style of wedding, the location... lots of things.

Tanya1
Andrew's Angel
Andrew's Angel

Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm

I agree with Mogle. We didnt see each other before the big day and it made it more special on the day.

I guess its up to the couple's personalities. :D We loved the traditional wedding so we went with the "bad luck to see the bride before the day" tradition.

Holly K

Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 pm

I've actually read about a few couples doing this. I can see that the guests would probably preffer this option, but for me, i'm sticking with tradition. I think the build up to that special moment as you walk down the isle and see your FH face (hopefully smiling!) would be worth it. I've heard of grooms sending their fiancees little notes in the morning, or small gifts, or poems, which i think would be so special and totally add to the whole excitement and romance of the day. I've been hinting at FH how romantic it would be if a little note was delivered to me in the morning!I'll see if he catches on!
To keep guests busy, we have organised for a coach to pick them up after the ceremony and take them to the local village, which has a lovely old pub, and a few cafes etc. This way ppl can keep up the party spirit before the coach takes them to the reception venue. And having been a guest to weddings before, i've never found that "2 hour " wait a problem. By the time we get to where we are going and have a drink, its nearly time for the reception to begin anyway.
But i can see it both ways- but for me- i'll be keeping with tradition. :heart:

wishuponastar
Forever is a long time
Forever is a long time

Thu May 29, 2008 1:26 pm

We have had people suggest this to us, due to the ceremony location we want only offering 1 or 3, and we need the early ceremony for the light for photos. I couldn't imagine not walking up the aisle and FH seeing me for the first time. This is what I am most looking forward to. I think most guest expect there to be some time in between

Princess_Bride
DH's princess forever
DH's princess forever

Thu May 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I agree with Mogle...I don't think it would be quite as special imo...I would never want to do it.

princessbridzilla

Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 pm

definately not!! The number 1 thing I am most looking forward to on my wedding day is seeing fh face as he sees me for the first time as the doors open to the church I just think the impact wouldn't be the same if he saw me before hand.

*..brooke..*
aka Darren's Missus
aka Darren's Missus

Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Not for me :?
I want our first look at each other on the day, to be when i start to walk down the aisle.
It's going to be such a precious moment, and I wouldn't swap it for the world!

Popple
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Each to their own and i guess for some couples it would work out better if they had photos before the ceremony. But we are going for the "tradition" not to see each other before the actual ceremony. And i can't wait to see FH's face!!

haze2009

Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm

due to budget we have booked a motel room for the guys to get ready on the wedding day and we will stay there the wedding night we couldnt afford the room for two nights and having a lot of people staying at our place and his mothers place we are staying together the nite before and going seperate ways in the morning (we live together already) so we are having a bbq a few drinks with friends the night beofre then Im kicking them all out after brekkie on our wedding day! FH was going to stay at his mums but she wont have the room plus he didnt want his family stressing him (as they do). Plus I will need his calming influence around me the night before as Im sure im going to be stressing! But like everyone I dont want him to see me all bootifull until I get out of the car and walk down to his side. (oh god Im teary just thinking about it)

Sydkiwi

Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 pm

No way!

We are eloping and i still want us to spend the night and the morning apart before the ceremony. It is something I specified right from the start.

My bridesmaid is coming to stay in our room with me, at the resort, and FH will go and stay in the best mans room. The next time he sees me will be when I am in my finery walking up to the ceremony site. My bridesmaid and I are going to have a leisurely breakfast and then massages before having a light lunch and then get our hair and makeup done and then get dressed and make our way over to the ceremony

I was bridesmaid years ago for a couple who got their photos done before the ceremony. It was practical but its not something I want to do. (They are divorced now, but I don't think that was because of when they got their photos done, lol :mrgreen: )

Any wedding I have been to its just not a big deal to wait for the couple to get their photos taken. Its a chance for people to mingle and chat and get to know each other before the bride and groom return and the focus is back on them.

jaynage

Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I couldn't possibly let FH see me before the ceremony! I know he wouldn't want to anyway - he doesn't even want to see my earrings and shoes before the wedding day, let alone me in my dress! Also, it just wouldn't be the same when you are walking down the isle, it wouldn't have that wow effect, and not as emotional.

raybabe
I need a title
I need a title

Thu May 29, 2008 2:22 pm

I dont want to see FH until i am walking down the aisle.
I think it makes it so special, expecially if you live together, to have the nite apart and to see each other for the first time at the ceremony.
I cant wait!!! :D :D :D

ThailandNic

Thu May 29, 2008 2:54 pm

haze2009 wrote:
we are staying together the nite before and going seperate ways in the morning (we live together already) so we are having a bbq a few drinks with friends the night beofre then Im kicking them all out after brekkie on our wedding day!

I'm considering this too. We're getting married in Thailand, so we'll already be at the resort. My mum wants me to stay with her the night before the wedding, but I may even prefer to stay with my BM if I don't stay with FH. I still haven't decided if I'll stay with FH or not though. It's a secluded resort, so even if I don't stay with FH the night before the wedding, there's a chance I'll see him at breakfast, but we'll sort that out at the time I think. FMIL is big on this tradition, so I'm sure she'll have something in mind! hehe

jaybay88
I need a title
I need a title

Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Tempting.. as it would be so much more convenient to have the photos out of the way, but I doubt I will do it. Like most other girls he I can't wait to see the expression as I am walking down the aisle.

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Thu May 29, 2008 3:38 pm

FH & I are having our photo's done before the ceremony. :D
I really couldn't care less when he sees me - the photographer will be with me anyone when he first catches a glimpse of me all made up so that's no issue for us. If I had it my way I'd love to spend the entire day with FH - even getting ready together! But FH has gone all traditional on me & wants us to spend the day apart so when we see each other all made up its more special for him. :heart:

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I am with Mogle - I think the anticipation in seeing each other at the end of the aisle was a wonderful lead up to it. It is one that I won't forget.

I also think if we saw each other beforehand, we probably would have stressed each other out. I think not having seen him beforehand gave me more composure. It also makes it more exciting!

I didn't even speak to him on the phone!

Shirls84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 pm

We are spending the night before together and will see eachother in the morning, just because I want to stay at home as its easier with the baby, and cant afford to send fh off to a hotel for the night. However I would not want to have photos taken before the ceremony, its just how I dont really like mock cake and dance photos (although photographer will take them I will cherish photos of the real thing), the location photos to me are you celebrating your union that you have just made, doing them before the actual ceremony is like 'mock' photos does that make sense anyway thats just my opinion, but everyone has different circumstances.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.12