A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

melsgettinmarried
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Cakes and current styles

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:16 pm

I have ages before I need to decide but just wanted a few thoughts on this. I love profiteroles so croquembouche is very appealing to me. OH though (works in hospitality), says they are out of fashion and is leaning towards mud cake ( I love mudcake too but like profiteroles more).

Do you think it matters if it is 'out of fashion' or not? Is croquembouche really that uncool? :lol:

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Re: Cakes and current styles

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:25 pm

I think it matters not wants in style, but what you want. Dont let current trends dictate to you what cake you have ! Who wants what everyone else is having anyway...boring !

BrideLike
I survived and got married

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:26 pm

My parents had a tree of profiteroles. So it always reminds me of the 80s :p

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

My brother lovesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss profiteroles - whenever we go out for dinner and there is a buffet dessert, he loads his plate up with them!

If he ever gets married (I can see it in the future) he will almost definitely have one :mrgreen:

Go for it mate! It's your wedding, not 'trends' or anybody elses.

Just think - cupcake cakes will be out of fashion one day! Hehe but I still want one now.

april02

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:40 pm

If that is what you want I would go for it. After all the wedding is supposed to reflect you and your FH personalities etc

I love profiteroles too, but will be going with choc mud as I like the look of the traditional white cake..

jaynage

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm not one to follow trends, but I suppose if you were to ask what is 'in' and 'trendy' in terms of wedding cakes at the moment, a lot of cake decorators would probably say cupcakes. Now personally, I would MUCH prefer a croquembouche to cupcakes, because it seems more formal, which is my style. I agree with what the other girls have said - don't choose anything just because it's a current trend. Choose something that reflects who you and FH are, in keeping with the theme of your wedding.
For what it's worth, FH and I chose a white 3 tier mud cake with square tiers, with gold ribbon and fresh roses separating each tier. It's a big, classic-looking formal cake (about 60cm high) and that's exactly the style we are keeping with for our wedding. A lot of people said, 'why don't you go for cupcakes, or do something that is more brightly coloured, as that would be more contemporary than an old-fashioned 3 tier-style cake', but we wouldn't hear of it.

LiLLeanneG
is now LeanneR
is now LeanneR

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Go with what you love... we went for something a little different (have black piping all over the cake) but it suited us and our theme.

arialia
Mrs Le'Roy
Mrs Le'Roy

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:32 pm

We are having marbled mud cake (with american whip icing because we don't like marzipan) but that is because it is FH's and mine favourite cake.

I adore profiteroles, and that was definitely was our second choice!

I wouldn't worry about what is in fashion or not, go with what you want!

Kimcam
Crazy In Love!
Crazy In Love!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Not old fashioned in world... They are too delicious to ever be old fashioned!
Same argument could be for the good old wedding fruit cake too so... Up to the individual!
Good Luck!! :D

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:52 pm

I thought croquembouche towers were all the rage again?!??!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Fashion dates. Just check out your parents wedding pics.

So don't worry about what is in fashion because frankly, in 5 years when you look back on your wedding it won't be fashionable any more.

Have whatever the hell you want.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Who cares! I looooove profiteroles. One of my customer's had both. A traditional wedding cake and profiteroles. If you are really worried about being dated, you could have the traditional cake for photos, and profs as part of your sweets.

katbunney
Little Miss Pink BunnEy
Little Miss Pink BunnEy

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:36 pm

We are having a croquembouche cake .... I didn't know that cakes necessarily went in and out of fashion...I guess lots of people at the moment have cupcakes.

Have what you want!! Yummy...also the added bonus we found with our croquembouche cake is the fact that it is cheaper than most other normal wedding cakes.

bride2b&mumof3
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm

We are having the poffiterole tower plainly and simply 'because I want it, It wasnt even up for discussion, I dont give a rats if it in fasion. I WANT IT. I am having a white ribbon spiraled around it just to make it a bit more 'weddingish'.

melsgettinmarried
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks everyone for your input. We have lots of time to decide but just wanted some feedback. Now I feel like eating profiteroles Lol!

cheryl6
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Mel,
I am one of those people who want the cupcakes, mainly because we are having children and it will be easier and nicer for them to have a cake of their own. We will be having a top layer cake that will either be a heart shape or round with heart decorations.

I think that no matter what you have it will one day 'date' so it doesn't matter. I think that the traditional wedding cakes look lovely too. Just go for whatever one you would like, one day your children (if you have/are having any) will laugh at the photos of your wedding and say "did you really have that" and all those other things. Besides your idea for a profiterole cake thing sound lovely.

Wester

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Go with what you like. I love vanilla slice and had a GIANT one for our engagement cake. It was a 1m x 80cm. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. People still talk about it cos it was different!

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 pm

YUM GIANT CHOCOLATE CRACKLE

YUM GIANT VANILLA SLICE

oh I am so hungry now - thanks a lot guys!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15