A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:30 pm

nikeedee wrote:
Men can be hard to buy for eh?! My sister is REALLY hard to buy for, so for X-mas this year Im getting her a years' subscription to her favourite magazine, Colours a photgrapher mag (which she rarely buys as she is on a budget).... perhaps something along those lines...?


Hhmmm, that could be an idea :D :D

My dad is a boss of a company by day, and by night he rides his Harley - he is stuck in too completely different worlds..... should see what sort of mags they have for bikes.....
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Another thing Bridelike: So you are happy to take people's money and spend it on a honeymoon and just say thank you and be done with it? Yet you go on about how high and mighty you are coz they paid for your wedding day yourself? HYPOCRITE...one minute your a saint coz you didn't need to take money from others but then quite happy to take it for a honeymoon?

Pfffttt...

No matter what/where/why people offer their money to help out with any kind of event...a gift of thanks is polite, a sign of decent manners and a reflection that you appreciate what they did for you

I know you are not worth it - but you have really pi$$ed me off!!!!!
Last edited by Brads Bride on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
JJ20
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 7322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:25 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:41 pm

A gift is a gift because you want to give it, and it should never be turned into a negative thing :?
I think it's a lovely idea to give a gift to your parents, I bought my mum earrings to wear on the day and I know she will treasure them always.

It really saddens me that people can turn gift giving into a negative thing :(
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:46 pm

JJ20 wrote:
A gift is a gift because you want to give it, and it should never be turned into a negative thing :?
I think it's a lovely idea to give a gift to your parents, I bought my mum earrings to wear on the day and I know she will treasure them always.

It really saddens me that people can turn gift giving into a negative thing :(


Thx JJ, love my Maternal back up :lol:
 
micksbridetobe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 pm

I think giving a gift to show your utter appreciation to your parents and PIL is a lovely idea.
 
User avatar
Michie
It's ALL good
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:53 pm

BrideLike wrote:
We paid for our entire wedding ourselves. We got some money from our parents (which is being put toward our honeymoon when we take it). We couldn't afford to pay for that for us as a couple, let alone to give it to someone as a gift. And if we could afford that, why would we take money from someone else to pay for our day?

If you are taking money from someone at least have the decency to not flaunt money back at them afterwards 8O



Whoop de friggen do sweetheart !!
We paid for our entire wedding too , my parents paid for our cake & DJ and that was it .
You sound pretty $hitted off in my books ......
Even if its a small contribution , a thankyou is still a nice gesture.
 
feee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:54 pm

thank you gifts are a lovely idea, and especially when theyre well thought out, i think it shows your appreciation.

Bridelike, im stumpted as to why you would even reply to this thread if you had nothing but bitchy comments to make!

your bitter darlin! get over yourself!
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Michie wrote:
BrideLike wrote:
We paid for our entire wedding ourselves. We got some money from our parents (which is being put toward our honeymoon when we take it). We couldn't afford to pay for that for us as a couple, let alone to give it to someone as a gift. And if we could afford that, why would we take money from someone else to pay for our day?

If you are taking money from someone at least have the decency to not flaunt money back at them afterwards 8O



Whoop de friggen do sweetheart !!
We paid for our entire wedding too , my parents paid for our cake & DJ and that was it .
You sound pretty $hitted off in my books ......
Even if its a small contribution , a thankyou is still a nice gesture.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thx Michie xx
 
micksbridetobe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:56 pm

feee wrote:
thank you gifts are a lovely idea, and especially when theyre well thought out, i think it shows your appreciation.

Bridelike, im stumpted as to why you would even reply to this thread if you had nothing but bitchy comments to make!

your bitter darlin! get over yourself!


:e_clap:
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:57 pm

feee wrote:
thank you gifts are a lovely idea, and especially when theyre well thought out, i think it shows your appreciation.

Bridelike, im stumpted as to why you would even reply to this thread if you had nothing but bitchy comments to make!

your bitter darlin! get over yourself!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: love it!!!
 
User avatar
LiLLeanneG
is now LeanneR
is now LeanneR
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:59 pm

I think those ideas sound great and im sure your Il's and parents will appreciate them. Id do the same for my Dad as he gave me money towards wedding but he is too hard ot buy for cause he spoils himself hehe!!

I agree that you should only respond to a thread if you have nice/helpful things to say :) I dont want a "i have freedom of speech" responce either... cause your mum should have taught you manners!
 
User avatar
leebee
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:56 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:01 pm

While we didn't bother with buying gifts for the parents I do think the sentiment is lovely. We did make a point of thanking them in the speeches for their help/love/support etc. I don't think buying a gift to show your gratitude its flaunting their contribution back at them at all! 8O
 
Alibubba
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:04 pm

My DH and I gave my mum and partner a weekend away for all their help with our wedding. It felt so good to treat them, didn't cost an arm/leg but they really appreciated the gesture! I can only see good in your gesture Chels :D
 
User avatar
CookedGoose
Formerly known as SarahDazz
Formerly known as SarahDazz
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:05 pm

JJ20 wrote:
A gift is a gift because you want to give it, and it should never be turned into a negative thing :?
I think it's a lovely idea to give a gift to your parents, I bought my mum earrings to wear on the day and I know she will treasure them always.

It really saddens me that people can turn gift giving into a negative thing :(


I agree. I love gift giving and I always buy people stuff if I see something on special or something that they will love just because I want to. I never ever expect anything in return.

Because my parents are paying sooooo much to give me the wedding that I want and dream of and Darren's parents are also contributing a large chunk, I would not dream of NOT giving them something in return. They don't HAVE to pay for our wedding but they are out of the goodness of their hearts so I am giving them a thank you gift out of the goodness of my heart.

We are paying for some of our wedding, as much as we can at this time and as much as my mum will let us.
Our gift back to them will not be expensive but it will be well thought out and meaningful and THAT is what counts. The monetary value of our gifts means nothing.
If no one knew how much we appreciate their contributions then I for one would be heartbroken and feel like I had somehow robbed them.
We send out thank you cards for wishing well contributions and gifts - These cost money so should we not say thank you to our guests either? :?
 
User avatar
j.i.n.a
* Wishing & Waiting *
* Wishing & Waiting *
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 pm

i think its a wonderful idea chels your parents and IL's will love it

i guess some women are that selfish that they have to put other people down cause they can finaly see what a selfish bridezilla they have become
 
User avatar
Azema
Tiger Queen
Tiger Queen
Posts: 6414
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:21 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:11 pm

To say that buying a 'thank you' gift somehow cancels the original gift out, shows a failure to understand that the exchange of gifts is about more than monetary value.
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:11 pm

SarahDazz wrote:
JJ20 wrote:
A gift is a gift because you want to give it, and it should never be turned into a negative thing :?
I think it's a lovely idea to give a gift to your parents, I bought my mum earrings to wear on the day and I know she will treasure them always.

It really saddens me that people can turn gift giving into a negative thing :(


I agree. I love gift giving and I always buy people stuff if I see something on special or something that they will love just because I want to. I never ever expect anything in return.

Because my parents are paying sooooo much to give me the wedding that I want and dream of and Darren's parents are also contributing a large chunk, I would not dream of NOT giving them something in return. They don't HAVE to pay for our wedding but they are out of the goodness of their hearts so I am giving them a thank you gift out of the goodness of my heart.

We are paying for some of our wedding, as much as we can at this time and as much as my mum will let us.
Our gift back to them will not be expensive but it will be well thought out and meaningful and THAT is what counts. The monetary value of our gifts means nothing.
If no one knew how much we appreciate their contributions then I for one would be heartbroken and feel like I had somehow robbed them.
We send out thank you cards for wishing well contributions and gifts - These cost money so should we not say thank you to our guests either? :?


That was really well said - a great way of putting it :D

j.i.n.a wrote:
i think its a wonderful idea chels your parents and IL's will love it

i guess some women are that selfish that they have to put other people down cause they can finaly see what a selfish bridezilla they have become


:lol: It would be a sad life wouldn't it - living in a world full of greed & not giving gifts to make people smile :(
 
Brads Bride
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:37 am

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:16 pm

SarahDazz wrote:
WOW, did we just get a sudden influx of maternal support?!?! :lol: Well done ladies!


Yep sure has been :lol: :lol: Gotta love them :heart: :heart: :heart:
 
User avatar
sarahtroy
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:22 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Brads Bride wrote:
Another thing Bridelike: So you are happy to take people's money and spend it on a honeymoon and just say thank you and be done with it? Yet you go on about how high and mighty you are coz they paid for your wedding day yourself? HYPOCRITE...one minute your a saint coz you didn't need to take money from others but then quite happy to take it for a honeymoon?

Pfffttt...

No matter what/where/why people offer their money to help out with any kind of event...a gift of thanks is polite, a sign of decent manners and a reflection that you appreciate what they did for you

I know you are not worth it - but you have really pi$$ed me off!!!!!


Couldn't have said it better myself...

Bridelike...I hope one day you have the opportunity to provide something for your child's wedding day, I'm sure then you will see it is not about the money taken, the money spent or the value contributed...and any thank you gift you received would not be seen as voiding the original monetary contribution. I think a thank you gift is the last thing the parents are expecting and will be thrilled no matter what they receive as a gift of thanks...
 
User avatar
j.i.n.a
* Wishing & Waiting *
* Wishing & Waiting *
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm

Re: Thank you gifts for parents

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:19 pm

maybe her child/children wont say or do anything, then she can think back tothis thread???

can u let us know when it happens :lol:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
GZIP: On | Load: 0.46