A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess
Topic Author

Choosing a priest

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 am

This might sound like a silly question to some but i will ask it anyway.
Yesterday i met with the church i want to get married at but because we are not actually part of that parish we need to organise our own priest. We were given 3 numbers of priests that regularly do services there for me to call.
Do i call all 3 priests and meet with them and pick the one that i like or do i just go with the first one that says yes i am free that day to do it? I know with a celebrant you pick the one that you click with best but is it the same for priests?

jaybay88
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Choosing a priest

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:11 am

Considering that you have time, I would do the same as what you would do for a celebrants. You want to be comfortable with someone who is going to marry you. The other issue you might need to consider is whether you need to a do a pre-marital course with the priest. Some churches require it which would mean you will be divulging a fair bit of personal information which you or may not be comfortable with it.

Good Luck.

than4
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:55 pm

I would. Another option might be to see if a priest from your or your parents parish can marry you there if you are already comfortable with them.

Things I would think about include;
their attitude to the "religious" aspect of your wedding - are they all hellfire and brimstone or a bit more relaxed?
thier attitude to your ceremony - how religious does it have to be? What do they feel about music/choirs etc?
Just how you get along with them in general, do they make you feel comfortable?

I know some of the Melbourne girls on here have had a fairly "controversial" priest do thier weddings (Father Bob?) so this might also be something to take into account.

waratah
Mrs Pinky
Mrs Pinky

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Definately meet all 3 priest and pick the one that suits your style the best. All priests are different, just like celebrants.

My husband and I didnt choose our priest, because he came with the church. But he really understood us, and what we wanted in our service, so the service and his sermon were very special to us.

A priest that isn't your style can ruin the feel of your wedding.

Goblin Face
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Why don't you go to a couple of different Sunday Services? That way you can be annonymous but still get a feel for what the priest is like - how he speaks and how friendly he may act. Then you can decide which one appeals to you and work out who you would like to introduce yourselves to.

xepphire
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:44 pm

I agree, just go to a few services and see which one you like. Some are a bit bolder and others have a funny side. Funny is always good for if something goes wrong. As you have so much time I'm sure they'll all be free. I booked my pastor 6mo before
GZIP: On | Load: 0.05