A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

SapphireSunset
2 hearts beating as one
2 hearts beating as one
Topic Author

How did you feel the 1st time you tried on a dress?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm

I have been sitting here looking at the dress that I tried on 3 weeks ago. ( my cheif took pics lol ) and it looks sooooo wrong.
When I was trying them on it felt wrong like Im not meant to wear a wedding dress. The uncomfortable feeling.

Is this normal or does any one else feel the same.?

I have no idea how I am going to feel on wed cos my mum is coming to veiw the 2 dresses I like and to see them on me. :roll:

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Re: How did you feel the 1st time you tried on a dress?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm

The first one I tried on I hated, it was feral :lol:
My friend made me try it on because I had just gotten engaged but I couldn't wait to get it off. The second one I tried on I absolutely loved, I saw it in the mirror and thought "Yep, this is perfect, I love it"
So I bought it then and there. End of story!

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 pm

I didn't try any on, I just bought one off the internet then tried one on. And even then I'm not gushing over it because it needs to be altered (slightly too big).

I'm sure when it fits I'll be more exciting...

But right now, the dress is just a dress to me :/

SapphireSunset
2 hearts beating as one
2 hearts beating as one
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Se even though I like these 2 dresses trying on any dress at all feels wrong whether I like the dress or not. I just feel as tho that it loos WRONG on me. Does this make sense.

Obviously I am insecure about the dress but it makes me wonder if anyone else had that same feeling about any dress at all that a wedding dress is so not them. uno.

a winter bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:46 pm

I loved trying on dresses, cos im a dress person. But i know that my sister would absolutely hate it as she just feels so uncomfortable in them. Are you more comfortable in skirts and tops? You will be able to find something formal thats not a big poofy dress....or even a pantsuit if thats what you are comfortable in.

i understand the not feeling comfortable in a dress thing, I've spent so many hours shopping with my sister trying to find something she feels comfortable in and its never dresses....although there was one she liked so keep searching and you might find the one that makes you feel like you

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:51 pm

The first dress I tried on was totally wrong on me! But it was still an amazing feeling to actually be trying on wedding dresses :D The ones that were too princessy or OTT for me made me feel as if I was playing dress-ups! But when I put on the gown I finally chose, it was sooo "me" that it felt wonderful and I couldn't get it out of my head. It was probably the least traditionally "bridal" gown I tried on, as it was light and slim, and closer to the look of an evening dress.

Perhaps you just haven't found the right gown yet hun? I tried on heaps of different styles to see how each felt and looked. The dress I ended up choosing was something I wouldn't have looked at twice on the hanger - my MOH picked it out for me to try!

wenji
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:03 pm

I loved the first dress I tried on and wanted to buy it, but my mum talked me out of it. She was really excited about me trying on dresses! I tried on about 5-6 dresses the first time I went shopping and loved almost all of them. I think I just can't wait to marry my guy! :lol:

Kattus
bridezilla in disguise
bridezilla in disguise

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Well to be completely and utterly honest lol when i tried on a dress for the first time... i felt fat and hidious! it was terrible. it was a boiling hot day and the shop didnt have any airconditioning so it was terrible lol! i was grinning from ear to ear but that was just coz i was trying one on but i felt so horrible... so im not trying one on again for a while lol

waratah
Mrs Pinky
Mrs Pinky

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I agree with the other girls that it could just be the style of dress that you are trying on. I remember when i was trying on dresses, whenever I tried on a white dress it just felt wrong. I ended up buying a pink dress, and I felt so much more comfortable in it.

angel_gabs
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Like I was playing dress up :D
I'm getting one made based on pictures pulled from the internet, very much a simple, soft, clean-lined evening gown rather than a "wedding dress'. Everything was too poofy, shiny, stiff'n'starchy or rustly for me, I didn't feel glamorous and fabulous at all! And I'm very much a pretty dress kind of gal. I really think we do ourselves a disservice in the amount of pressure we place upon "THE DREAM DRESS". As uptownnerd said, hers' feels just like a dress - because it is just a dress at the end of the day.

Repeat after me: I will look amazing on my wedding day because I am going to be genuinely emotionally happy - everyone else will think so too. The dress I choose will feel comfortable and be beautiful as well- just beacuse it doesn't make me shake/cry/faint/speak in tongues (like some people claim) does not mean it's not a fabulous dress or the right one for me.

No more of this must find my"one and only "soulmate dress" business.

Rant over... :oops:

Emi
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Last edited by Emi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FebBride09
old member new name
old member new name

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I am not really a dress person and never thought that I would step into a dress and think it was "the one". I did buy the first dress that I tried on because I thought it looked really pretty and it was the style I wanted (and it was not a princessy type dress that I was not really interested in getting) but I never stepped into it with that "wow" feeling. It is just a special dress to me.

xepphire
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:14 pm

I've never been a dress person. I think they are great and i guess i'd look okay in one but i feel too uncomfortable but the first time i tried on my dress, I just smiled. Thats all i could do(i'm smiling now thinking of it). It kind of makes me feel giddy like a stupid teenager who has her first boyfriend. Oh yes.........he is my first boyfriend

onedaysoon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:50 am

I felt like an imposter when I tried my first wedding dress on! And I'm amazed so many other girls felt the same. Even though I had the ring on my finger and the date was booked, for some reason I felt like I didn't belong in a dress shop wearing a big white wedding gown! After traipsing around three different shops and trying on about 12 dresses, for some reason I was just exhausted (physically and emotionally too) but in the end, after trying another shop a few weeks later, I found my big white wedding gown and I couldn't be happier. :D

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:00 am

I agree with winter bride, if you arent a dress person then it would be difficult to find something you didnt feel like an imposter in. But dont give up! And remember, suits are sexy. I adore the ivory one Carrie in SATC movie wound up wearing. Much better than her designer one. And remember, Carrie IS a dress person!

The dress I bought was the first one I tried on, however I tried on others to be sure. In that dress I felt really beautiful for a change, and all the girls in the shop were shocked that an off the rack fit someone so well.

Its not the dress I would have picked for me judging from all the pics I had saved on my PC, coz its white, and thats pretty un-nic in and of itself, but its a bias cut backless slim gown with a lightly beaded lace overlay - :tick: :tick: :tick: :tick:

AisleBound
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 am

Emi wrote:
I felt like a bit of an imposter.

Likewise!

My mum was raving about the dress and I although I liked it, it didn't seem real.

That was the first dress I tried on and the girl was very apologetic because they only had it in a 16, but she thought the style would suit me. So she was standing behind me pulling it up tight so I could see how it would really look.

The next one I tried on was closer to my size and a much better fit and I felt very secure in it and more comfortable, so I think if I could try on the first dress in my size.... oh I don't know!

It was an experience though! When we got there the girl walked me into the changeroom and said, "Take your clothes off; I'll dress you." Yes, ma'am!

I think I have fallen into the trap of expecting to find the dress that's "the one", and now I don't know how I'm supposed to feel! It's great to read everyone else's experiences though.

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:35 am

I felt like an imposter too! Like I wasn't meant to be there.... like all the ladies in the shops were looking at me thinking "You're not getting married!".

But around 8 or so dresses in I found "the one" and I knew straight away that it was the one. I'm not into the princess type dresses either so it's a nice a-line.

Have you tried lots of different styles on?

autumnbride17
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, your reaction sounds pretty normal. I freaked out a little on trying on my first dress, it was all quite daunting. I found the dress I really loved after trying on 5 others, but even then I don't feel completely comfortable or normal in it! I mean how can you feel normal in a floor length, strapless dress with big petticoats and a train?!?!? I quite like wearing dresses but these aren't your everyday kind of dress.

Porcelain
Loved Up
Loved Up

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Kwitty wrote:
I felt like an imposter too! Like I wasn't meant to be there.... like all the ladies in the shops were looking at me thinking "You're not getting married!".

I'm assuming that's how I will feel when I go dress shopping.
My mum on the other hand is raving on excitedly trying to get me to go, but I refuse until at least next year. I think it's going to be more weird than fun :?

KritalJay
Princess VHM
Princess VHM

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:31 pm

mogle wrote:
Perhaps you just haven't found the right gown yet hun? I tried on heaps of different styles to see how each felt and looked. The dress I ended up choosing was something I wouldn't have looked at twice on the hanger - my MOH picked it out for me to try!

I was exactly the same. I totally just walked pasted my dress and then Zoe Peta and my Mum said try this one on and as soon as I walked out in the dress and I saw their faces I knew that it was something special. And they were right once I looked in the mirror and saw myself I knew that it was the dress that I was going to be married in.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.12