A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Meggles123
Topic Author

Seating Etique

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:14 pm

Just a quick question.. if my siblings are not in the bridal party, do i have to sit them on my parents table at the reception? My mum wants her friends to sit with her but i'm just wondering if my brother and sister and their partners should be there instead?

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Re: Seating Etique

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:18 pm

They can sit wherever you want them to. But I think normally it's customary for the parents to "host" a table of their friends.

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:18 pm

I don't think they have to sit with your parents however convention dictates that the tables closest to the bridal table are the "most important" so it would probably be good to have them as close as possible to your table.

samanthaz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:06 pm

No you don't have to. You could do a mix of your parents, siblings and friends or put your siblings and their partners on another table close to the bridal table.
If you're worried about your siblings being offended maybe you could sit down with your parents and siblings together and ask them what they'd prefer so everyone's on the same page. I don't think most people would mind though- as long as their not on the dodgy table up the back near the toilets!

My parents originally wanted to sit with some friends too but they've now changed their mind into making it a family table. Not that my I care too much (and my aunts and uncles didn't care either) but I think my grandparents would be upset if friends of my parents got to sit at the head table and they didn't. My sister and FH's sister are both in the bridal party. We asked their partners where they'd prefer to sit.
Last edited by samanthaz on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:07 pm

I would do whatever you/they are most comfortable with. It's customary for immediate family to sit closest to the bridal table.

Phee
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:18 pm

I'd just have a chat to your siblings and your parents and ask what they'd prefer to do/who they'd prefer to have on the head table...

I made the mistake of assuming that my only brother and his guest (yet to be confirmed) would prefer to sit on the second family table with our cousins who are all roughly the same age, rather than being the only young people on a table with my parents and my aunts & uncles. Well when my mum heard this suggestion she hit the roof because "there is no way your brother is not being on the head table blah blah blah" - i didn't realise it was such a huge issue to her! Just ask them all where they'd prefer to sit and then do your best to accomodate it.

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:33 pm

You can do whatever you like. My brother had our parents on a table with aunts and uncles and my sister and I were on another table with my sisters inlaws and her kids. At my wedding my parents had aunts and uncles then I had my brother and sil host their own table as did my sister and bil with another table. So 3 family tables. It's basically up to you.

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:41 pm

I personally would put them with your parents as they are closer to you then your parents friends. Unless there were a lot of your siblings/partners and they were happy on a table of their own

cdc
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm

i would put your siblings wherever

personally i wouldnt be fussed putting them on a seperat table to the parents

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Talk it over with them all and see what they say! I don't think it is customary!

My Sister was in the bridal table so was with me, my parents sat with my relatives and my brother (whom wasn't involved in the bridal party) sat with some of our friends because he didn't want to be with certain family members and wanted to have some fun!

My parents would have definately preferred to sit with their friends but obligation to my grannies go the better of them in the end.

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm going to ask my bro where he wants to sit - I bet $10 he'll say with my cousins etc so he can have more fun than if he was with my parents ;)

than4
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 pm

We had the four closest tables at the front for family and closest friends/relatives.
Each of our parents "hosted" their own table and got to pick who they put on it. This was mostly godparents, special friends and closest aunts and uncles. My four brothers and sisters were on thier own table with more close aunts/uncles (who were closer in age to them and "more fun").
DH's brothers wife (his brother was in the bridal party) and children and DH's sister were on thier own table with some close cousins (who were again similar in age and very famililar with the kids for discipline reasons).

I think it would be nice for your brother and sister and thier partners to "host" thier own table and that way your Mum can also sit with her friends. But talk to them about who they want on their table and remember traditionally, the closer to the brial table, the more important.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.27