A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Re: Chinese Weddings

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:16 am

Just found this on Ebay, not too bad of a price with free postage for anyone who is doing the traditional wedding bed:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4pc-doona-duvet- ... 4aa3a8e054

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Can anyone who speaks/reads Cantonese suggest the name/where I can download a nice 'calligraphic/handwriting' style traditional Chinese font? I'm handling the translation of our invites myself (Silly idea considering I'm very very much a learner when it comes to Cantonese, but I do have outside help!). I'm currently using MingLi U but have heard that there are nicer fonts out there.

sallylily
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 pm

what about these traditional Chinese fonts?
http://www.homefont.cn/html/zhongwenzit ... nziku/fan/

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi ladies,

I thought I'd ask for opinions regarding our tea ceremony. So our nuptial mass begins at 1.30pm and reception is at 6pm. FPILs have sort of demanded for a tea ceremony so we're now thinking of how to slot that into our schedule on the wedding day. Usually the tea ceremony would take place in the bride's place first and then the groom's place, but I'm afraid if we schedule it in the morning before our nuptial mass, we'd have to get up really early! :?

The time in between the ceremony and reception seems limited, because I expect to leave the ceremony venue at about 2.30pm and then move on for photos at a few locations (that might take another hour and half) and then travelling to our reception venue takes about 45 minutes. There doesn't seem to be much time left before our reception starts :e_think:

Help! :|

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm not sure how the tea ceremonies go but do you have to do it before or after your nuptial mass? How long does the tea ceremony go for anyway? Is there an earlier time for the church that you could have your wedding?

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Hmm.. I can either do it before or after the mass. The tea ceremony would probably be for about an hour? :e_think: That depends on how many relatives turn up for our wedding. Well, there's a 10am mass option at the cathedral, but we've decided to go for the 1.30pm one, just in case FH's friends (many of whom are flying from interstate) decide to come only on the morning of our wedding would still be able to make it.

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 pm

fair enough... well... if you have the nuptial mass at 1:30 to 2:30 then have photos for an hour (2:30-3:30) then you can still have the tea ceremony at roughly 4 till 5.... would that work?

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 am

I suppose that's possible :e_think: that might be too much of a rush if we were to do it at home, but the good thing is the reception venue asked us if we would like to have a tea ceremony there, and that surprised me for a while. I never thought they knew about the Chinese culture :oops:

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am

I like the idea of having it at your venue after photos. That was what we were going to do, but FMIL wasn't happy, she wanted it done in the morning before the western ceremony.

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Having it at your venue sounds better and it would definitely be more convenient....

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Chinese tea ceremonies are usually held in the morning before mass. So I'm not sure if FPILs will insist on having it done at that time of the day, considering how traditional they are :roll:

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Hmmmm... sounds like before the mass might be a better idea though... sorry.. it might be a long day for you but at least it's already done and you don't have to worry about where to fit it in between your wedding and the reception...

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 pm

boncales wrote:
Hmmmm... sounds like before the mass might be a better idea though... sorry.. it might be a long day for you but at least it's already done and you don't have to worry about where to fit it in between your wedding and the reception...

I know, I feel the same too :? Although I keep trying to convince myself there would be time in between, there's another side of me that says having it in the morning is better.

jaybay88
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Girls!

It has been AGES since I've been here.. well since I got married back in 2009. Now I'm here for your help!
Does anyone have any ideas for punishments for the groom when they arrive at the bride's home and fail at the games??

So far the games we have are:

Prove your strength
Ryan & groomsmen must do 20 pushups

Prove your coordination
Pass a ball to each other 3 times without using hands

Prove your knowledge
How well do you know Kylie? quiz. Punishments for incorrect answers!

1. How long have you and Kylie been together in years and months? 8 years and
10 months
2. What's Kylie's favourite clothing store? Sportsgirl
3. Where did Kylie get her new wallet from? Myer
4. What bodywash does Kylie use? Mor Marshmellow
5. What colour are her toenails right now? White tip
6. When did you move to Ultimo? June 2010
7. What is Kylie’s favourite food? Pasta / Italian
8. Where would Kylie’s dream holiday be? Europe

Prove your love
List 5 reasons why you love/want to marry Kylie.
Can only proceed to the next challenge if the reasons are deemed good enough.

Prove your devotion

Sing “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars in costume J
Groomsmen are backup vocals/dancers.

Prove your commitment
How much is Ryan willing to pay to get through the door! The lucky number is 9
meaning ‘longevity’ – so hopefully he pays $99 (or $999!) in red packets

Chief Pancaker Maker
Formally known as Josilver77

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if i could get some opinions. I dont want a full on tradition tea ceremony. My idea was the day before the wedding My parents and FH family will have lunch at a chinese restaurant with a private room, and have a small tea ceremony just before the lunch. I dont want to do it on the day of my wedding as we will be pushed for time and I dont want to see FH on my wedding day. I am having a western wedding ceremony and a western style reception, so there is not much chinese about our wedding. I thought it would be a nice thing to do for my FMIL so that she will have something a little bit traditional. Do you think she will mind that it is not on the day of the wedding and that the other elder relatives are not invited. It is also my FSILs birthday so she and her 2 kids will also be invited.

My parents are Aussie and from the country. I have had a few problems with my parents and my wedding (its a long story and wont go into it here) and have had difficulty convincing them to come a day early and even meet FH family before our wedding. I have tried to explain the concept of a tea ceremony to my mother, she wants afternoon tea with tea and cakes and have "an aussie version of a tea ceremony" she just doesnt get it. If i make it too traditional and invite lots of people my parents may refuse to do it at all (and you cant really have a tea ceremony with only one side of the family).

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:26 pm

We had a tea ceremony with only one side of the family.

It wasn't important to DH to do it, but we did it for his parent's and grandparent's sake mostly, my parents weren't offended at not being there and figure that DH has shown his respect to them in plenty of other ways anyway! :lol: (My parent's are also typically country aussie farming folk!)

Organising our tea ceremony was the biggest and most stressful thing of the wedding for us - it swung between going to Hong Kong and doing one there, having it on the morning of the wedding and not doing it at all, all of which got SOMEONES back up, either my parents who couldn't fathom the idea of me seeing DH *before* our vows, or MIL who couldn't understand why we wanted to do it between ceremony and reception. :roll: :lol:

Thankfully, in the end, it all came together.
We had our tea ceremony at a restaurant on the night before the wedding (GPIL's flew in from Hong Kong at lunch time!). We dressed nicely, but not traditionally, and kept it fairly casual. DH and I served tea for his parents, grandparents and aunts. There were about 12 people there. We recieved gifts of gold and lai see at this time.

We didn't do the games or picking up the bride or anything like that either

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 pm

By the looks of it, I think we're having our tea ceremony with only my side of the family in Brisbane because I have relatives around here and my parents will be flying in from KL. Latest news from FFIL is that he doesn't want a tea ceremony in Brisbane, I'm guessing he wants it in KL so we'll most likely have a tea ceremony for FH's side during the time of our second wedding reception in KL (3 months after our wedding).

Chief Pancaker Maker

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I am trying to convince my FMIL that we should have the tea ceremony the day before. I am trying to use the excuse that the 25th of November 2011 is more auspicious than the 26th. (or less inauspicious any way :lol: )

I know a few people have done their tea the day before - is this an acceptable chinese custom or something people just do because it is more convenient?

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Josilver77 wrote:
I am trying to convince my FMIL that we should have the tea ceremony the day before. I am trying to use the excuse that the 25th of November 2011 is more auspicious than the 26th. (or less inauspicious any way :lol: )

I know a few people have done their tea the day before - is this an acceptable chinese custom or something people just do because it is more convenient?

Considering that 'western' style ceremonies/receptions have only become popular throughout Asia in the last 10-20 years, I don't think there is any 'real' level of what is acceptable/customary when you are combining the two, only what works for you and your families.

Chief Pancaker Maker

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:35 pm

It now looks like we may (cross fingers) be having a tea ceremony. I got a friend to translate a short speech for me into Cantonese and she has taught it to me. I recited it to two other cantonese speakers last week and they under stood everything i said - YAY

Roughly its says
Welcome to Fh's family, I am sorry for my bad chinese, before now the only words I could say were BBQ pork, thank you for welcoming me into your family, I look forward to getting to know you all better in the future, good luck and best wishes.

My dilemma know is should I say this speech at the tea ceremony or should I save it for my wedding reception or should I repeat it at the reception?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.1