A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Chief Pancaker Maker
Formally known as Josilver77
Formally known as Josilver77

Re: Chinese Weddings

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I bought my cheongsam today!!!! Yah. I got it form a little shop in an arcade in Dixon house in china town in sydney. I paid $100 and it is much better quality than the ones in the markets which are $60. Several people suggested i got to cabramatta - I did yesterday - complete waste of time, hardly anything there.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 am

Hello - may I ask where you all might have held your tea ceremonies?

I would really like to have the traditional tea ceremony & my partner is on board with the idea too but we can't find a location for it. Since my partner is anglo-aussie, we think we had best have the ceremony somewhere "neutral" where both sets of families can take part one after the other - rather than the tradition of holding it separately at the groom's family home and then the bride's home.

We thought to do it with/after the civil ceremony at first, but found that venues wouldn't let us hold even the civil ceremony with them since we were having the reception elsewhere. So we're going to have the civil ceremony & reception at a restaurant, but there's no space or time to have the tea ceremony too.

My only other idea thus far is to book a function room at whichever hotel my folks end up staying in, and hope the hotel doesn't kick up a fuss about it.

How about chinese restaurants? Have people hired private dining rooms for the tea ceremony at a Chinese restaurant? Any suggestions would be welcome

DestineM

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi gdemon,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I run my own business helping couples with Chinese wedding tea ceremonies - http://www.destinem.com

I've held tea ceremonies at central locations before - like you said, someplace neutral rather than the traditional groom and bride's house can be good if one side isn't Chinese/religious.

Given you've got time constraints - why not do it during the reception dinner? If you're having a 10 course chinese banquet, you will have time during the night to do this. You just might have to cut short some of the other things (eg. long speeches, playing games etc). Unless you want to do the tea ceremony on a different day from the wedding day, I wouldn't suggest finding a 3rd location, because you will need to decorate it, and get guests there etc...this is more logistics to organise.

I've MC'd reception banquets before where I open the banquet by holding the tea ceremony first. Whether this works will depend on how many people you need to present tea to. If it's lots of people (eg. more than 5-6 couples), this can drag on, but if you have someone who is organised and knows what they're doing, then it can be lovely. If you have Western friends who've never seen a tea ceremony before, even better! You can set up the stage with the chairs, flowers, double happiness decorations, floor mats etc and make it really nice. Your MC can do a brief Intro on what the tea ceremony is for (thanking and respecting your parents for their care and love). You will have a tea lady to announce who is getting tea, and she will say nice auspicious words during each tea presentation. So if you have Western friends, it's imperative the tea lady speak fluent Chinese and English for everyone to understand!

If you're having a 3 course western banquet, that actually gives you even more time between courses to do this! If you've booked the venue there should be no reason why the venue refuse your right to do a tea ceremony. It's a little bit showy for your guests, but it can be really special if done well. At the end of the tea ceremony the tea lady announces "you're all a happy family now!", and everyone claps and it's all quite festive! If the bride can change into a chinese qipao, I especially like that part of it.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Happy to give any suggestions if you need more tips!

Maggie
http://www.destinem.com
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22