A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Mrs_Metal
Topic Author

Restaurant for Reception

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi All

We are planning a small-ish wedding 40- 60 guests, numbers depending entirely on costs, and we are both not fans of formal receptions, so we are looking at having our "reception" at a restaurant.

Has anyone done this, and if so, did you go with a set menu or did the guests order off the restaurants menu? Did you have the place to yourself, like book the whole place out, or was it open as normal? Did you have a cake brought from the restaurant or did you bring one from somewhere else?

Thanks

pookie2014

Re: Resturant for Reception

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 pm

We are also looking at doing this but haven't got as far as that yet...
A friend of mine has her reception at a restaurant and it was still open as normal. The were in another area away from most people, they were still able to do speeches and stuff and she said she didn't even notice that other people were there.
I suppose it depends the on the restaurant; how big it is and how management are willing to cater for you. Maybe you should call a few that you are interested in and suss them out...

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Restaurant for Reception

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

We had ours at a restaurant. Firstly, many restaurants have functions and/or wedding packages with cheaper prices than the usual a la carte menu - you can have a fixed menu for everyone, or pick 2 dishes per course and then they serve that alternately; you can usually also arrange to pick 2 - 3 dishes per course and then allow guests to order from your choices on the day (usually more expensive). Drinks can be by the package, or on a tab.

Secondly, depending on the size/set up of the restaurant, you may have the whole place to yourself, or they may give you a private room and still serve other customers in separate room. The capacity for most mid-size, mid-priced restaurants seems to be around 50 - 60, so I'd guess you can easily book out an entire restaurant and have the privacy. For the large restaurants that host big weddings, there may be a minimum number of guests for functions/weddings (often 80 to 100) - it's still worth asking what they can do for you, but be prepared that they may not be willing to close their other dining rooms (and reduce their profits) during your small-ish wedding.

We brought our own cake to the restaurant. I think few restaurants these days have the facility to do a wedding cake onsite, but they may have recommendations for local bakers.

I think for the size of your wedding and the less formal nature, you should have lots of scope for negotiating a suitable arrangement with the smaller restaurants, which often seem to be more flexible than large hotels/venues. hope this helps :)

loulou06

Re: Restaurant for Reception

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 pm

If you are adamant that it should be in a restaurant, why not choose one that offers a buffet. Your guests will be able to get up and choose the foods they want from a buffet which could give more variety.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.17