A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Do i have to have a Bridal Table?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am

Hi Guys,

I know this may be a really weird question, but i dont know who else to ask.

I hate being the centre of attention and im not neccessarily going for the traditional setup. Do we have to have a "bridal table" in front of everyone else?

We are expecting 40 - 45 guests including 6 people in the bridal party (including us).

I was orginally thinking of having 10 seater round tables with only 7 or 8 people at each table to give room for others to bring a chair over to talk to people, and the chairs have a big gap at the front so that no-one has to have thier back to the "bridal table" area (if i have to have a bridal table).

But ive been wondering if it would look weird if we had a round table as well rather than a rectangle bridal table up the front.

There are a few reasons for this.
1. I dont like being the centre of attetion and im pretty sure i'll be over being gauked at all day already
2. the bridal party consists of us, the Best man & MOH (who are married), My sister as my BM, and my partner's brother as groomsman. Both my sister and brother in law now both have a boyfriend/girlfriend (neither of which we have met - and have both being going out less than a year).

My partner thinks they should sit at the bridal table with their gf/bf, but i have never heard of this being done but he is adamant its the way it should be. Whereas I was just going to put the bf/gf on the parents table.

However, if i make us sit on a round table too, we can all sit together without it being awkward. And we wont be "on show" as much either.

I need honest opinions please. Would this be just too weird for us to sit at a round table like everyone else or do we have to have the bridal table up the front for all to see.

We are going for a relaxed and fun atmoshpere, and the last thing i want is straight up and stiff atmosphere.

I tried to make the "U" shape work also to accomodate the bf/gf of our siblings but i think that would be weird too and clumsy.

The other option is all rectangle tables i guess, but we would still be "on show".

HELP!

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Do i have to have a Bridal Table?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 am

It's your wedding...you can do whatever you want! There are no rules! If you want to sit at a round table too then go for it!
I agree with you re not having the bf/gf at a long head table and would seat them with the parents, but it might work fine if they are seated on your round table

Mjulz87
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 am

We are having a round table just like the rest of our guests!

My partner and I will sit at the top of the table where we can see everyone but we're definitely not having the head table....we have a small bridal party too (2 ladies & 2 men) so our bridal parties partners will also be at our table :)

Just like Lanta Bride said, it's your wedding and you can do what you like :)

My partner hates being looked at all the time and my bridesmaid's partner will know NOBODY at our wedding, so to make everyone comfortable, our table will be the same as everyone else's :)

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 am

we are not having a bridal table at the front of the room but a square table like everyone else in the middle and bridal party will seat with their partners

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:22 pm

You can have whatever you want.

I am going to have an L-shape. I will be having my bridal party and their partners sitting at the main tables because on the grooms side their partners don't know anyone and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable.

Also I am having my MOHs fiance and my bridesmaids husband as my MCs so they can be sitting at the front of the room near the lectern.

Tables.jpg

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Phew! :e_shifty:

Im so glad you guys are here! I thought it would be really weird to have a round table, but so glad to hear im not the only one that feels this way! You have no idea how releived i am to hear you guys say the comments above.

My next silly question is - i have ordered the back drop and swagging for the bridal table, but if i go the round table, should i cancel the back drop and save some money as there wouldn't realy be a need for it now? or do you still need a focal point in the room? I am having a DJ and small dance floor - do i just shift the dj to the end of the room and spread the tables out a bit?

The room is a rectangle room and i was originally thinking of having the dj on the side wall with the dance floor sort of separating the bridal table from the others (only going off what you see in the movies and on those 4 weddings shows). I have no idea! lol.

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:21 pm

I am personally having my tables as 8 seater round tables, and the fiance and I will be sitting with my bridal party and the parents at another table together, all round :)

flowerpower82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 pm

We're having a round table just like our guests too! Long tables are boring, you can't talk to all your favourite people at once like you can on a round table.

I don't think you should seperate yourself from the guests with the dance floor. Is the dance floor in a non-movable spot? We're trying to spread guests around two sides of ours. I've been to a tonne of weddings and the best ones for me have a dance floor that isn't 'on show'. People get nervous if they think everyone is staring at them while they dance.

But back to where your table is, we're putting our round one in the middle next to the dance floor. Easy to get up and make speeches, do first dance, cut cake etc, but are immediately surrounded on the other 3 sides by guest tables with the others beyond them. I can post a plan tomorrow if it helps (I nerdily drew my venue up in CAD on the computer ;)).

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:02 am

flowerpower82 wrote:
We're having a round table just like our guests too! Long tables are boring, you can't talk to all your favourite people at once like you can on a round table.

I don't think you should seperate yourself from the guests with the dance floor. Is the dance floor in a non-movable spot? We're trying to spread guests around two sides of ours. I've been to a tonne of weddings and the best ones for me have a dance floor that isn't 'on show'. People get nervous if they think everyone is staring at them while they dance.

But back to where your table is, we're putting our round one in the middle next to the dance floor. Easy to get up and make speeches, do first dance, cut cake etc, but are immediately surrounded on the other 3 sides by guest tables with the others beyond them. I can post a plan tomorrow if it helps (I nerdily drew my venue up in CAD on the computer ;)).

That would be awesome if you could!

I dont want to separate us at all...i want us to be with everyone else :) I didnt even think about the dance floor being "on show" but you are right. And we dont have many people our age coming so i dont have a pack of dancers (until everyone gets drunk enough!)

I have definantly decided to do round tables thanks to you guys!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 am

No, you absolutely don't have to. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Bruke070913

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Nope, it's up to you. After all, it's your day, so you do what makes you feel most comfortable.

In saying that, I went to one friends wedding where she only had a MOH and BM and their wife/husband sat at the bridal table with them. I thought it was quite nice. And at our wedding, we will probably have our parents at the table with us too (along with my 5 bridesmaids, it's going to be one HUGE bridal table!)

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks girls

After talking with mum and her seeing my original back drop i am now going to uncancel the back drop but still go with the round tables :D

This is what i was originally going with, so i will get this again but put the cake and wishing well in front of it and then us at a round table.
starfish backdrop2.jpg
starfish backdrop.jpg

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:30 pm

I think that would look fine. Your colour theme is really pretty by the way!

We are just having long tables rather than individual round tables. We will probably sit in the middle of one of the tables.

We figure it's out wedding and we can do it how we like.

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm

I hope you don't have to have a bridal table! Because I don't want one either! I would love long family tables for all the guest and seat the bridal party and my FH and I with whoever they're going enjoy sitting with.

I love the styling that can be done with long banquet style tables!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.08