A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

jodieso
Topic Author

Are venues allowed to charge more for a wedding?

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been checking out wedding venues and found a gorgeous venue for our reception.
The only issue is that they are charging $600 more just because it's a wedding! It's just a space and you get use of the kitchen and bathroom etc.
You get nothing extra by paying the extra $600, and I feel that the money could be better spend towards my dress or food etc.
What do you think? Is this reasonable?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Re: Are venues allowed to charge more for a wedding?

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Basic law of contract, if you are not happy with the terms offered, refuse to enter into the contract and walk away.

Yes venues can charge more for a wedding as often the consumer will pay it. Should they? Well that depends, keep in mind many venues will make 'extra effort' for a wedding by cleaning up the gardens, supplying more staff, ordering more flower arrangements, setting up the venue differently and just more time and effort in general. Others simply charge a wedding tax.

Its completely up to you, sounds like you are not happy with the price, in which case look around and find some terms you are happy with :)

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Most venues will charge more for a wedding and it is because they do more, as L.I.W said they will generally do more for a wedding so the cost is usually justified but if you cannot see any difference just ask them what you get for the extra cost and if you are not happy with their answer then go somewhere else :)

jodieso
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for your speedy replies :)

I understand if it was a proper wedding venue, but its the local surf club where my fiance grew up.
They don't do any of the decorating or give you any extra staff etc. because it's just a hall hire, they have a licensed bar which you pay for and you also pay the bar staff by the hour.
I'll have to hire a cleaner, and a caterer and decorate the place myself... do you think it's worth it?
Do you think it's inappropriate to ask why they charge more if you get nothing more?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

jodieso wrote:
Thanks for your speedy replies :)

I understand if it was a proper wedding venue, but its the local surf club where my fiance grew up.
They don't do any of the decorating or give you any extra staff etc. because it's just a hall hire, they have a licensed bar which you pay for and you also pay the bar staff by the hour.
I'll have to hire a cleaner, and a caterer and decorate the place myself... do you think it's worth it?
Do you think it's inappropriate to ask why they charge more if you get nothing more?

Not at all - I would jump all over that and ask them what you are receiving for that extra price. They might have an explanation - if not I would either demand it be waived or take that as a sign they might not deal with you ethically and look elsewhere.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

L.I.W wrote:
jodieso wrote:

Not at all - I would jump all over that and ask them what you are receiving for that extra price. They might have an explanation - if not I would either demand it be waived or take that as a sign they might not deal with you ethically and look elsewhere.

completely agree with L.I.W again :D if it is simply Hall hire I would be questioning them why they see fit to charge an additional couple of hundred dollars. Is there anywhere else you have been interested in?

jodieso
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm

We live on the NSW South Coast - Mollymook to be exact, so not a huge amount of choice, and we don't want to get married in Sydney (even though I am from Sydney).

We've been looking, we don't have a big budget. We are a pretty relaxed couple and don't want to have a fancy wedding.
We also are not big drinkers and are vegetarian, and we have found a lot of the catered venues to be extremely expensive because of those two factors.
That's why we wanted to find somewhere that we could at least we could choose the caterer.

To be honest, my ideal wedding would be to hire a large house on a property, but have seen others trying to do it and have had no luck finding a venue that would host a wedding, or the cost being extremely ridiculous.

It all seems so daunting! I think once we find a reception venue the rest will be easy-a? or am I kidding myself?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Without a doubt things get easier once you have a venue and date!

I would still try to get them to waive the additional fee - unless they can justify it it sounds like a 'wedding tax' to me!

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 pm

How much do you love the surf club?

Like the girls have said above ask them why they have quoted you so much - have they simply quoted you a price from their pricelist or have you been in discussions with the venue? Sometimes you can do certain things to bring the price down slightly, but it sounds like you are doing everything yourself anyway.

I'm in the same boat as you - still trying to research and lock in those big ticket times like venues etc. I'm hoping it gets easier once those decisions are made too!

Brad's_Girl

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am

I would ask and try and get a discount but at the end of the day if I liked the venue I would just pay it.

RitaJane

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:28 pm

they can, but i would try to negotiate. It is not inappropriate to ask why you are bing charged the extra fee, they are probably just trying it because they know that 90% of brides will pay (can't blame them for trying). Probably a good idea to tell them that you have received other quotes, and that their competitors don't charge the premium (little white lies wont hurt any one).
GZIP: On | Load: 0.42