A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

dosko
Topic Author

Help with reception venue please :( - QLD

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 am

Hello everyone!

I am going insane! I can't seem to find a reception venue that will do an al fresco wedding for 40 people - I'd like to have a garden wedding ceremony & reception. I also want to do a candy bar + have a subdued alice in wonderland theme - possibly some croquet & a giant chess set. Bundaleer rainforest is not taking my fancy for numerous reasons and I can't seem to find anywhere else that would offer an outdoor wedding for such a small party. I have also considered Abbey of the Roses & Pepper's Ruffles Spa & Lodge because they have small wedding group reception and accommodation packages but I'd need to cull my guest list back and get a bus to drive them out to the venue from Brisbane.

I'm so sick of looking for a garden that I'm seriously considering putting an advert in the paper to see if anyone is willing to offer their backyard or paddock with shady tree :P

If anybody knows of anywhere I would really appreciate the assistance! Gabbinbar of course is perfect! But probably too expensive.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Help with reception venue please :(

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 am

Sorry love, I am in Melbourne. But there are girls here from Queensland that can help you. Don't stress (easy for me to say) you WILL find somewhere that will end up being perfect.

dosko
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 am

Thank-you for the encouragement, I'm close to banging my head against the wall :P Time for bed I think.

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 am

Hi Dosko,

I am very early on in my wedding plans- so I don't have any first hand experience, but I saw a wedding ceremony at our local common (near Rocklea) the other day. It's a stunning setting, with a large undercover option incase of rain.

I am not sure if you could also hire a marquee and have a reception there as well. But thought I would suggest it.

Also have you tried any local bowls clubs? They can be very pretty with function rooms. Tarragindi has a stunning avenue of trees leading to the venue!

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:55 pm

I went to a wedding reception here: http://www.merthyrbowlsclub.com.au/

It was quite a small reception with around 40 or so people. It is right on the Brisbane River.

It is also very close to New Farm Park, which has some beautiful rose gardens and a gazebo.

zenphotography

Re: Help with reception venue please :( - QLD

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Dosko, I shot a wedding at the Pavilion in Albion this winter. The bride had a cocktail hour in the garden and guests played cricket on the field. It looked pretty charming... might suit what you're trying to do? Some pics here: http://www.zenphotography.com.au/weddin ... r-wedding/ If you like the venue check them out. The wedding planner for the venue is great to work with. http://www.thepavilion.net.au/

BellaBrides

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:13 am

The Hyatt at Sanctuary Cove have an outdoor area they also have these cute little rooms for smaller weddings and a beach area to have your wedding. Thats where we are thinking of getting married. We are only having a small area. A friend got married last Sunday and had hers at The Stamford Plaza and had hers in the Garden area and had a high tea. She said it was pretty reasonable.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:56 pm

You could have it in the gardens of Newstead House - http://www.newsteadhouse.com.au/index.htm

It is right on the Brisbane River which will look beautiful in photos (I know - I got married at Bulimba on the river last year) and there is a shelter thing right down near the water where a lot of people have the ceremony/photos. Plus it's a big garden and I think you can use the veranda of the house as a wet-weather option.

RitaJane

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm

If you are willing to travel, Peppers Palm Cove offer wedding for small parties in the Rainforest and on the lawn overlooking the beach.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25