A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Brad's_Girl
Topic Author

Are flameless candles tacky?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

Hi there ladies :D

We are having our reception on a poolside deck at a resort, and it has four steps leading up to it. I really want to put a hurricane vase on each side, layer the bottom with crystals, and put a candle in it. My only problem is as it's outside I don't want the candles blowing out, which makes me consider the flameless variety. I'm just not sure if they look cheap and tacky! I am also having lots of fishbowl tealight candle holders as well, and am presented with the same problem.

What are your thoughts?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Re: Are flameless candles tacky?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a standard candle work just as well in a hurricane vase, it will be protected from the wind won't it?

I personally think the cheap ones do look a bit tacky, the ones Ashling mentioned would be fine though, so long as you cannot see the bulb should be nice. I went to a (Cheap) restaurant and they had the tealight ones with a fairy light bulb right on top - yucky!

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:00 am

This is just my opinion but I think flameless candles are very tacky. My reception venue was going to use them and when i dropped off the name tags for the wedding on the friday night, another wedding was being set up and i saw the flameless candles. I had actually worked out that I was going to buy doillies so that they wouldnt drip onto the tablecloths and i had them all ready too. I went straight to the wonderful manager and explained that candles were very important to me. I love my venue :) they turned around and said well of course, if that's important to you we'll do it.

The candles looked amazing. Did I mention I loved my venue?

Brad's_Girl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:18 pm

L.I.W wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a standard candle work just as well in a hurricane vase, it will be protected from the wind won't it?

I personally think the cheap ones do look a bit tacky, the ones Ashling mentioned would be fine though, so long as you cannot see the bulb should be nice. I went to a (Cheap) restaurant and they had the tealight ones with a fairy light bulb right on top - yucky!

I thought they would be fine in a hurricane vase as well but my decorator and other people have told me otherwise...

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Why not go for something solar powered?

I dont know where you would look in Aus, but here are some examples I looked at (and bought) for my wedding:

http://www.sustainable.co.za/efficient- ... ights.html

and the one I bought for my wedding :)

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Brad's_Girl wrote:
L.I.W wrote:

I thought they would be fine in a hurricane vase as well but my decorator and other people have told me otherwise...

Pfft - personally I would test it - set yourself up outside with some candles in hurricane vases in all sorts of crazy weather and see what happens. Or am I the only nutty one who wants confirmation of these things?

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:44 am

No, I would test them too :P

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 am

Oh and after reading where you want them - just be aware of clumsy guests. I had candles lining the aisle of the ceremony. Once the ceremony was over people just jumped up and it was like candle soccer - I think about 10 got knocked over in 5 seconds. One person kicked three. Very annoying for me, but I guess the guests were too busy being engaged in the ceremony and the prospect of champagne to notice them!

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Ashling wrote:
No I think you can get some very nice ones, and in the right kind of holder you cant even tell the candles are fake. A lot of them now also come with flicker.

I have just gotten back from New York and I went to a fairly upscale restaurant there, where they had the flameless candles on the tables in beautiful glass holders. The "bulb" part was down inside the "wax" part so it looked like a normal candle that had burned down a bit. It looked completely normal.

If they were the kind where the bulb sticks right out, that might look a bit weird IMHO.

I completely agree Ashling!

rhett's girl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm in a similar predicament - I want to have candles on the ground so they are going to have to be flameless (otherwise it will be a fire hazard).

I am going to have them in a pretty holder, so you won't be able to see them. They flicker like a normal candle.
GZIP: On