A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

onedayB2B
Topic Author

drinks package or drinks by consumption

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 am

which did you do for your reception?
which would be better value for money?
if you did drinks by comsumption, how much did you put on and how long did it last?

TIA

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Re: drinks package or drinks by consumption

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 am

It really is hard to judge, you need to have a look at your guest list and try and work out, with the drinks package, how much it would work out per person (as a comparison). We have decided to do drinks by consumption only because the drinks package was for four hours and our reception is five so we would prefer to have the extra hour and pay for what we use.

If you have some big drinkers the drinks package may work out better for you, you just need to have a good think about your guests.

It really is a tough one!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 am

In the nicest way I disagree with Miss Michelle.

I used to work weddings/functions and found by consumption was always cheaper for the consumer (which is why the venue tries to sell packages). In all of my functions we never had one where it was cheaper by the end of the night for the client to have gone with the package (and we were required to ring up purchases to ensure the package price was making a profit). One came close admittedly, but that was a 21st/Engagement with a lot of young party animals. The clean up after that was a whole different story.

Personally we did consumption but I am not a good example. I put $5,000 on the bar for 80 people. However, it was very important to me to serve great drinks and to get the same in the package that the Hotel offered would have been about $150 per person + extra for the cocktails and champagne. So consumption still ended up being cheaper.

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 am

This thread has got me thinking. We don't many big drinkers coming to our wedding, and we have opted to go with the beverage package. I think it will be much, much cheaper to go by consumption, and we could even include cocktails and it would still be cheaper! But the question is how much do you put on the tab? Do you get the unspent money back at the end? We are having about 65 guests.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 am

I think consumption is the best bet, because you're only paying for what does get consumed. Not all guests will drink. If you want to watch the spending, just limit it to certain drinks.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 am

misteri82 wrote:
This thread has got me thinking. We don't many big drinkers coming to our wedding, and we have opted to go with the beverage package. I think it will be much, much cheaper to go by consumption, and we could even include cocktails and it would still be cheaper! But the question is how much do you put on the tab? Do you get the unspent money back at the end? We are having about 65 guests.

It's up to you how much you put on the tab - maybe you could budget for a similar amount to what the beverage package would be but include a signature cocktail for guests?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm

misteri82 wrote:

Generally you get the unspent money back unless the venue has a minimum spend in which case anything over that spend is refunded. Always check your contract but that is the norm.

onedayB2B
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

a drinks package for everyone will cost us close to $2,000, so maybe $1500 would be enough to get everyone through 3-4 hours. after that they can purchase their own.

id be limiting it to certain beers and wines, softdrinks and juice, just as a drink package would do!

onedayB2B
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:53 pm

being that our small group of friends (theres 5 couples, 3 of which have kids) are the only real drinkers, the rest of the guests are parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles, who will only have a couple of glasses of wine of a few beers, and theres a few who will stick to soft drink (quite a few actually drink spirits in which case will pay for their own), i actually think even $1000 on the bar might be sufficient for 3-4 hours.

FH reckons its no where near enough, until i pointed out who was actually coming, and how many drink and dont. now he sees my point.
for example, myself, my brother and my SIL dont drink at all. so there is no way we would drink our $37.50 (ish) amount for a package worth of soft drink in 4 hours!

i think on comsumption will definately be our bet!

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:17 pm

onedayB2B wrote:
being that our small group of friends (theres 5 couples, 3 of which have kids) are the only real drinkers, the rest of the guests are parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles, who will only have a couple of glasses of wine of a few beers, and theres a few who will stick to soft drink (quite a few actually drink spirits in which case will pay for their own), i actually think even $1000 on the bar might be sufficient for 3-4 hours.

FH reckons its no where near enough, until i pointed out who was actually coming, and how many drink and dont. now he sees my point.
for example, myself, my brother and my SIL dont drink at all. so there is no way we would drink our $37.50 (ish) amount for a package worth of soft drink in 4 hours!

i think on comsumption will definately be our bet!

Sounds like on consumption will definitely be your best bet! Even if you have a few heavy drinkers there are enough other people (eg grandmas, you and your hubby, etc) to even things out a bit. $1000 doesn't sound like a lot, do you have a little bit extra you could reserve in case the tab runs out quickly? You obviously know your guests, but with toasts etc a lot of the tab would go quite quickly at the start. Just a thought!

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 pm

I emailed my venue this afternoon and asked how much our package would be if we went for a bar tab instead of the 5 hour premium beverage package we wanted. I was told that the package is worth $56 per head! The drinks at this restaurant are expensive, but I thought that much per head is ridiculous, especially as we have mostly light drinkers coming. At $56 per head and 65 guests, that's $3640! We will definitely go for a bar tab, we just need to work out if we want an open bar or if we want to restrict the choices.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am

You could start with a small bar tab and if it runs out put more on. Alot of venues will allow you to do that.

Kourtz88

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am

We will be doing it on consumption but to start with it will be just beer and wine, then after dinner we will put spirits on.
Some of the drinks packages are so expensive!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.1