A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

RitaJane
Topic Author

Buffet or Plated

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I have booked my reception in beautiful North Queensland in an outdoor location. I would like a BBQ buffet, but I am wondering if it will seem cheap, and if a plated menu would be better. The reason I was going to go for a buffet was because I wanted a relaxed, summer atmosphere and I thought it would be better because every one could eat what they wanted and how much of it they wanted. However a plated dinner seems a bit more sophisticated. Any suggestions???

Kourtz88

Re: Buffet or Plated

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I am also getting married in FNQ :) I have always said buffet because then you are sure to please everyone. Lately I have been thinking about how the plated may look nicer buuuut I am still going for the buffet.
Where are you getting married?

RitaJane
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:01 pm

thanks!, I am getting married inPort Douglas; Rex Smeal park in November 2013. It will be pretty warm so it might be nice for people to be able to get up and enjoy the view.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

I think buffet will be great for the weather/location. Sometimes informal can be better anyway, easier to get around to all the guests etc :)

Kourtz88

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Oh nice, we are getting married in Port Douglas too, at the Sea Temple Country club. It is in June so the weather should be good!
PD is so nice hey :)

Defenitly go the buffet I think :)

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:14 pm

A work mate of mine went to a wedding recently where it was buffet style - but each individual table got a plate of roast meats, a plate of vegetables and a bowl of salad to share with the 10 people at the table. That way people still had a choice of what and how much to eat, but didn't have to get up and stand in line and wait, be last etc.

Illikaeri
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:54 am

misspony wrote:
My parents are organising the catering for us, with our input and agreement of course! My Dad hates the buffet idea with a passion (makes him think of RSL clubs!) and despises alternate drop even more!! So we are having a Dégustation menu with about 6 or 8 courses so that everyone can have a bit of everything.

Not sure if that is something that you can arrange at your venue, but it is an alternative to the regular plated or buffet option :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread RitaJane; have you had a dégustation before, misspony? For my venue, the pricing for a 3 course meal is very similar to the dégustation. I'm wondering if it's actually worth doing the dégustation as I don't think many people attending will have had it before. Plus I sort of like the idea of having 6 different things to try. But I am not sure!

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:33 am

miss-yvette83 wrote:
A work mate of mine went to a wedding recently where it was buffet style - but each individual table got a plate of roast meats, a plate of vegetables and a bowl of salad to share with the 10 people at the table. That way people still had a choice of what and how much to eat, but didn't have to get up and stand in line and wait, be last etc.

That sounds really good! I went to a wedding (of one of the girls from here) which was really lovely, they alternated tables but our table was pretty much last at one point and all the good stuff was gone because we were lining up, it sucked for us because we were right next to the damn table :(

I think the dégustation menu sounds good, I wonder if my venue offer something like this....

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

My personal opinion is the menu should be considered in light of the venue.

Given you are marrying in FNQ and outdoors it seems a buffet is entirely appropriate. I am presuming its a more casual affair? IMHO a buffet in a grand ballroom would be a bit off, personally my venue was a 1920s Lounge Bar, anything but cocktail was not going to work. That said, a plated meal would not not work, but if you want the buffet, go for it.

As an aside, Mr LIW and I are heading to Pt Douglas/Daintree/Cairns for our one year anniversary - any must dos/eats?

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm doing plated, but not alternative drop. Guests will have to decide before the day what meal they want ans send back with their rsvp card.

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 pm

StephMT wrote:
I'm doing plated, but not alternative drop. Guests will have to decide before the day what meal they want ans send back with their rsvp card.

That's what I did too. I got lots of comments from my guests about how they liked getting to choose. I'm going to put their choice on the back of their place card in case they forgot what they ordered!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 pm

misspony wrote:
Illikaeri wrote:
misspony wrote:
My parents are organising the catering for us, with our input and agreement of course! My Dad hates the buffet idea with a passion (makes him think of RSL clubs!) and despises alternate drop even more!! So we are having a Dégustation menu with about 6 or 8 courses so that everyone can have a bit of everything.

Not sure if that is something that you can arrange at your venue, but it is an alternative to the regular plated or buffet option :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread RitaJane; have you had a dégustation before, misspony? For my venue, the pricing for a 3 course meal is very similar to the dégustation. I'm wondering if it's actually worth doing the dégustation as I don't think many people attending will have had it before. Plus I sort of like the idea of having 6 different things to try. But I am not sure!

Haven't had it before, but we are working closely with the chefs to ensure that it works. With my parents, we wanted to have a showcase of Tasmanian gourmet foods as all the guests will be either from overseas or interstate.

Can I please come to your wedding? Sounds tasty!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

miss-yvette83 wrote:
StephMT wrote:

That's what I did too. I got lots of comments from my guests about how they liked getting to choose. I'm going to put their choice on the back of their place card in case they forgot what they ordered!

Me too! We will be doing personalised menus with their name at the top to double as placecards

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm

We had a plated (that was the only option from our reception venue), but before booking them we had thought buffet was the way to go. As it turned out the plated option was perfect and the venue catered for any different dietary requirements. But at the end of the day, it needs to be something that YOU feel happy with. (P.S loooove the idea of a degustation menu too MissPony and MonsoonPrincess! :D )

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I love family style buffet where each table gets centre dishes to share. Its much better than line up beffet where some tables wait a long time to get their food while others have finished eating.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:27 pm

KateM wrote:
I love family style buffet where each table gets centre dishes to share. Its much better than line up beffet where some tables wait a long time to get their food while others have finished eating.

I agree with this - I hated waiting in line, or for our table to be called, at a wedding I went to - our table was right next to the food too and all the good stuff was gone :(

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

My preference as a guest is plated but if that's not possible I prefer the family style buffet because it cuts out having to wait in line and walking back to the table with a plate full of food
GZIP: On | Load: 0.42