A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Enokicat
Topic Author

What type of menu are you planning at the reception.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Just curious what kind of food everyone will be serving. Or did serve. Or hope to serve!!?!

If we end up booking the venue I want. We're going to have a 'Grazing' style menu (similar to tapas) so lots of small plated dishes for everyone to share at the table.I think It's a great way to get people chatting together etc! The menu will be at least half vegetarian and we will also make sure a few dishes are gluten free. As we don't want a wedding 'cake'. There be two types of dessert + our macaron tower!...I'm hoping the food will be light and fresh but full of flavour. I think heavy food at weddings is not the best choice when people are wearing restrictive clothing!

Enokicat
Topic Author

Re: What type of menu are you planning at the reception.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Sounds nice and sounds like plenty of food!

Enokicat
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I love venison. Wish it was more common in Sydney. Only rarely see it on menus around here. I'm hoping our menu will please everyone...going to have lots of vegetarian, seafood, and at least one meat dish. I'd love panna cotta as the dessert choice but we'll see.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:53 pm

We had a cocktail menu....

Immediately after ceremony (4pm):
4 x Cheese Platters

On arrival of guests at reception (5pm):
5 x House made dips with grilled pita bread
5 x Antipasto; Selection of Italian coldcuts, olives, Danish feta and Gardiniere

Then 2 hours of canapés (from 6pm) including:

Cold
Spicy Chicken Strips
Thai Beef Skewers
Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Mixed Dip Platters

Hot
Mini Spinach and Mushroom Tarts
Smoked Salmon and Horseradish
Smoked Chicken and Onion Pastry
Mushroom and Basil Arancini Balls
Veal Meat Balls

Then at 10pm
5 x Pies and Pasties platters
5 x Filo Pastry platters

Oops - forgot dessert -

We had a dessert buffet consisting of our cupcake tower, apple and rhubarb dumplings, chocolate mousse cups and lemon tarts + more cheese platters

Enokicat
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Haha all this food is making me hungry!!! I love canapes. But my partner said out right he didn't want a cocktail reception so hopefully the grazing menu will be a happy medium to cocktail and formal sit down. :)

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm

We are having a 2 course menu with our cupcakes for dessert plus canapés on arrival! I figured that no one wants to eat dessert and THEN eat cake and I want everyone to enjoy our cupcakes.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 pm

misspony wrote:
We are having a 10 course degustation menu (6 savoury and 4 desserts) featuring Tasmanian grown foods. All the vegetables will come from my parents farm and all the other ingredients will be sourced locally. Each course will be served on platters in the centre of the table.

I still think you should invite me. That sounds amazing!

Enokicat
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Misspony that sounds amazing! My partner is originally from Tas and we go there twice a year! Love the food so much!!!

oohlalisha
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 pm

We are DIY catering. Our wedding is in February and we're having a lunchtime reception. We're having a spit roast of pork and beef, as well as roast chicken. We are serving this with assorted salads (my sisters, sisters in law & FMIL are all contributing a favourite)

Before this, we will have a selection of finger food/shared antipasto platters.

We are having a lemonade stand with lemonade made from FMIL's home made cordial.

Dessert will be a buffet of cakes (my uncle owns an awesome bakery!) and assorted summer fruits.

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I think heavy food at weddings is not the best choice when people are wearing restrictive clothing!

So true! My wedding food was amazing. it was a sit down three course but a few people told me after that they stuffed themseves so much they didn't feel like dancing!

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

We're having canapes between ceremony & reception, then 3 course meal. We're 19 months out, so the menu won't be done for about 17 months, but at our venue we can fully customise it and serve things we like, I'm not going to lie, most wedding food ends up sounding so yuck to me because I always find something I don't like :lol:

We will also maybe have a dessert bar, thinking a design your own sundae kind of deal, but it depends how many people we end up having, if there is room etc :)

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 am

MonsoonPrincess wrote:
misspony wrote:

Haha, can you get yourself to Launceston on March 2nd?! :lol:

I'll come too, that's 2 days before uni starts for the year so I know I'm free :wink:

Look we were toying with doing Tasmania next year anyway, so sure, I reckon I can get there! Just need to find some shoes that will allow me to trip through the fields and are pooh proof and we are set! :lol:

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 am

I'm there :lol:

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Off the top of my head, I think we're doing 3 piece canape + a 3 course meal. We'll either serve our wedding cake with tea and coffee or box them up for people to take home. There's no charge for alternate drop but I think we might pay the extra money for guests to choose their mains from the menu in order to meet the minimum spend. Mr snoopkat wants a lolly buffet, but I want something a little different. Not sure what yet though.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am

We had a traditional 11 course Asian wedding banquet.

2bwed
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm

oohlalisha wrote:
We are DIY catering. Our wedding is in February and we're having a lunchtime reception. We're having a spit roast of pork and beef, as well as roast chicken. We are serving this with assorted salads (my sisters, sisters in law & FMIL are all contributing a favourite)

Before this, we will have a selection of finger food/shared antipasto platters.

We are having a lemonade stand with lemonade made from FMIL's home made cordial.

Dessert will be a buffet of cakes (my uncle owns an awesome bakery!) and assorted summer fruits.

oohlalisha - we're doing something very similar! Ours is also DIY catering :)

We're having shared antipasto platters on each table or a fingerfood buffet, then a gourmet sausage sizzle with assorted salads & breads + gourmet sausages (turkey and dried cranberries, kangaroo and bush plum, beef and red wine, lamb and rosemary, and then chicken & vegetable skewers and vegetarian skewers). After that we're having a dessert - FH and I are total sweet freaks, and will be making pretty much everything that will be on the table :) We're also having virgin sangria and homemade lemonade!!

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Gosh!!!! Everyone's food sounds/sounded amazing!!! I just ate lunch but I am starving again after reading that! We had canapes and then a full three course meal. The canapes were awesome, but I dont really remember the entree and main, mainly coz I hardly ate any of it! We had a roaming dessert, so people could dance and eat at the same time! bonus!!

BTW enokicat, I think that we might know the same person! I was looking at her facebook page the other day (not stalking though!) and noticed your comment and though that your picture looked familiar! hehehehehe.. she is the person who moved last weekend! :D :D :D

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Ashling wrote:
We're having the old school canapés, then three course individually plated sit down, then cake served on platters with cake bags, so people can eat it or take it home.

We did this too!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.69