A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sharietodd
Topic Author

Seating Plan OR pick your own seat

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Im just wondering if anyone opted for pick you own seat rather than a seating plan and how it went at the wedding, were there any seating dramas with guests?

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Seating Plan OR pick your own seat

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm doing it Singapore style i.e. assign people to tables and let them work out for themselves where at the table they want to sit.

sugarb_91
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I've been a guest at weddings with 2 different types of the 'choose your own seat' approach:

1. Assign guests to a table, but they choose their own seat around the table. I've been to a few weddings with this and it worked pretty well each time. There was a bit of confusion around the table at one wedding and people kept having to shift seats, but it was nothing major.
2. People can sit wherever they want, at whatever table they want. This was CHAOS. It sounded great in theory as the couple were having a relaxed backyard wedding, but guests felt really uneasy. Nobody knew what to do, people kept changing tables and a few couples weren't able to sit together as they left it a bit late to find seats. Based on that expeteince i wouldn't reccommend it. I guess it might work well with a small, intimate type wedding though.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

ours is a informal lunch with just a small group so no seating plans

my son had tables allocated for everyone but no name cards on the tables so you could sit at any seat, that worked out well as there was still the organisation of the tables and the right number of guests per table but not the restrictions of you had to sit next to someone you didnt like or didnt know

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 am

I agree with Agape, if informal it doesn't matter, but for formal it needs a proper seating plan.

sharietodd
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks all for your responses...
I like the idea of guests assigned to tables then pick your own seat...
But I think I'll go for a seating plan... now I have to get planning, the most hardest part will be deciding where to put FHs parents they have both remarried and dont like each other much

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

my son had this problem (well not from me but from his father), we just sat at different tables on different sides of the rooms with our respective families (him with his parents and sister and his new partner) me with my parents and family and new partner.

2bwed
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this topic! I've been trying to decide as well. FH is all for FYO, but I'm very much an advocate for a seating plan so that everyone knows what's going on, and there's no complications with people who dislike other people. Yes, it's hell for us, but at the end of the day which would you rather - a headache before the wedding re: a seating plan, or a punch up on the day (which is what's likely to happen at mine if I invite certain people and/or seat them inappropriately).

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Another tip I have gotten on this through working in events, is if you use tent place cards, write the name of both side of the card, so that way if you do have people on tables who don't know each other, they can have a sneaky look to learn the names!

anjelik
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm

miss_summer wrote:
Another tip I have gotten on this through working in events, is if you use tent place cards, write the name of both side of the card, so that way if you do have people on tables who don't know each other, they can have a sneaky look to learn the names!

Awesome idea!

FH has some family that we want to keep separate - for reasons such as not getting along, or people who drink too much when together. Also, it would mean a lot to my ILs if they had a 'special table' with 'honoured people' on it. Whereas my family will all fit on one table anyway, haha.
I alo want to keep my work friends away from Fh's cousins... so.. yeah, I'm having set seating because I'm a control freak. :?

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 pm

miss_summer wrote:

Really like this idea miss_summer!!! Wish I'd thought of that for our wedding :roll: oh well, i'll definitely bear it in mind for any future formal functions :D . Thanks!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.19