A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

RN_Reecy
Topic Author

Did you have "the moment" with your dress?

Sat May 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi All,

I have recently started looking for my dress- after being engaged for some time!
I am quite particular about what I want, but am not really fussed about a particular
designer. My budget is pretty healthy and I'm a standard height, size 8.
I've tried on about 30 dresses- some are nice, but I'm waiting for "the moment".

Did you know your dress was the one?
Should I just give up on the idea?

Love to hear others experiences!

sachick90
I survived and got married

Re: Did you have "the moment" with your dress?

Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi I tried so many dresses on, so I know the feeling. Eventually I found mine and me and my BM's had a moment, we all knew it was the dress. :) Keep looking and hope you find the one you love

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I tried on over 100 dresses and I certainly had the moment with my dress. I fell in love with it completely! I still love it and I tried it on again today for alterations and it's so beautiful!

button30

Sun May 27, 2012 2:44 am

I am also quite particular, but I went in with an open mind I tied on 30 or so dresses before I gave up and decided to design mine myself and get it made. I am so glad that I did as when I tried my dress on once looked like a dress I definitely had a moment and I realised why all of the other dresses I had tried were wrong. Good luck!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed May 30, 2012 1:02 pm

No 'moment' here. I'm too practical. I went withadress I really liked, was comfortable in, and was in my budget.

noihsaf

Wed May 30, 2012 6:27 pm

After trying on some dresses, i never had "the moment" with any. However i expected that as i really wanted to get my dress made and combine elements of dresses that i liked.

However I did have the "WOW" moment when i was at the dressmaker choosing fabrics etc and she showed me a sample she was working on ( made me wait until it was on a dressmaker torso) and I loved it and changed my intial sketch to that dress but still with changes, however i feel better knowing what my dress will end up kinda looking like.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 pm

I knew my dress was the one the minute I put it on, it was everything I had wanted. But I didn't get the teary moment that I see all the other brides to on wedding shows.

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm

is thinking "oh good the dress hides my stomach " count as a moment - if so then yes I had a moment :lol:

Wombatta

Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm

falling_dawn wrote:
is thinking "oh good the dress hides my stomach " count as a moment - if so then yes I had a moment :lol:

Hehe :)

I didn't really have a moment. Just tried on so many dresses, over 30 and by that point decided to get one custom made.
In my fitting last month when I tried it on with the lace on the bodice, I had a bit of a moment! So excited now!
:)

TazzaDazza

Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am

I am very glad to hear others haven't had the moment either - I thought perhaps I should hold out until it happened!!

I hated trying dresses on - so I found a store I liked and a great sales assistant and tried on every dress in the store - I finally decided on a dress that was lovely, comfortable and in my budget. To be honest though - part of me wishes I had kept looking - I have a lot of doubts about my dress even though I know its lovely and comfortable and within my budget!!

I think "the moment" is different for everyone - I think if you find a dress you like that you know you look good in - that is as good as having the tears and overwhelming feelings of knowing you found the one!

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 pm

I loved my dress straight away but had no 'moment' I doubted myself for the whole year after purchasing it. On the day I loved it though and was very happy in it. At the end of the day, it's a dress! I'm not sure that I've ever had a 'moment' though with anything!!!

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 pm

It was definitely a head decision and not a heart decision for me. I didn't have that moment (wish I did!). I liked sooooo many dresses and in several different styles too. I just chose the one I liked best. I'm happy with my choice so far :)

anaestmia

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm not at the stage to start shopping yet, but I'm going to be going in knowing exactly what dress I want, so I doubt that will happen.

nerea

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:54 pm

I knew what kind of dress I wanted and I never expected to have that moment but after trying on a lot of dresses and being dissappointed as the days passed, it finally happened! I didn't have to look for more and I even cancelled other appointments to see more dresses. Didn't need to see more :)

krittyb

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

nerea wrote:
I knew what kind of dress I wanted and I never expected to have that moment but after trying on a lot of dresses and being dissappointed as the days passed, it finally happened! I didn't have to look for more and I even cancelled other appointments to see more dresses. Didn't need to see more :)

I'm at this point, I've tried on so many dresses and nothing seems to stand out, nothing seems to flatter, but you've given me hope!
I have an appointment tonight and hopefully something will jump out at me! :)
Thank you!!!

aug b2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Yes i did and after having my first fitting today i can honestly say i love it just as much as i first did 5 months ago :heart:

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Tried on over 80 dresses, never had 'the moment' with any of them. So I got my dress custom made - loved my dress but still never had 'the moment' with it. I knew it was perfect for me, but it was not a 'Say Yes To The Dress' thing for me.

Bride.2012

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 pm

In my case here it is the same just as L.I.W., because I have also tried more than 50 dresses but never had this special 'moment' fulfilling my heart. One thing is sure - that I have planned what kind of a dress and look I want to achieve for my wedding and tried to stick to it. Finally, when my dress was ready and I wore it I cried... and wanted to never take it off, because it was far more beautiful than what I first expected and imagined. :)

lollyonline

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I looked at dresses in stores and probably tried on ten and there was one that I stayed in and admired for a lot longer than the others but I still wasn't sold on it. Later on when I was looking online, I found a second-hand Maggie Sottero dress that was well within my budget and looked nicer than any dress I have seen in stores. When I tried it on it was a little large (I am a AUS 4-6 and the girl who owned the dress was an 8-10) so I knew it would need to be taken in and up (I am 5"4 and she was 5"6). I knew the dress would look good on me once altered, but I didn't really have anyone else's opinions on the dress. When I took my dresss to my hometown for safe keeping with mum, my mother, sister-in-law and two of my bridemaids watched my try it on. My mum held in the dress so it would look flattering on my waist and that is when I had my moment. When I saw how the dress looked and the reactions of my friends and family I knew it was THE ONE. My friend said 'now I have seen it I don't think I could imagine you in any other dress' and I have been on that impression as well. I haven't seen any full length lace dresses with a scolloped neckline that come out from the hips with a train anywhere else.... I struggle to find the dress online because the girl I bought it off was married 4 years ago.

reen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Be open when going to try dresses on. The style i thought i liked didn't suit me at all, so i just started to try on different styles and found one I loved. On my second fitting (about 6 months later) I was a bit disappointed but when I went for my final fitting and pickup I fell in love with it again. I think it depends on your attitude on the day.

On our wedding day i had a "moment" when I put my dress on (makeup and hair all done) and it was a bit surreal!!
Good luck!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.34