A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

RN_Reecy
Topic Author

Re: Did you have "the moment" with your dress?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:28 pm

lollyonline wrote:
I looked at dresses in stores and probably tried on ten and there was one that I stayed in and admired for a lot longer than the others but I still wasn't sold on it. Later on when I was looking online, I found a second-hand Maggie Sottero dress that was well within my budget and looked nicer than any dress I have seen in stores. When I tried it on it was a little large (I am a AUS 4-6 and the girl who owned the dress was an 8-10) so I knew it would need to be taken in and up (I am 5"4 and she was 5"6). I knew the dress would look good on me once altered, but I didn't really have anyone else's opinions on the dress. When I took my dresss to my hometown for safe keeping with mum, my mother, sister-in-law and two of my bridemaids watched my try it on. My mum held in the dress so it would look flattering on my waist and that is when I had my moment. When I saw how the dress looked and the reactions of my friends and family I knew it was THE ONE. My friend said 'now I have seen it I don't think I could imagine you in any other dress' and I have been on that impression as well. I haven't seen any full length lace dresses with a scolloped neckline that come out from the hips with a train anywhere else.... I struggle to find the dress online because the girl I bought it off was married 4 years ago.

Would love to see your dress on! What a great buy and it sounds beautiful!

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I didnt really have a moment but my mum did, so i went with that one. I only had one day in the city to look so i had to go with that one as i didnt have time or resources to go looking again, and i only had mum with me for that few days (as i am in WA she is in QLD). It's growing on me still :)

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 pm

I wasn't even looking for a dress, but happened to walk past a store with evening and bridesmaids dresses and saw my dress in the window, but in a light yellow...I went in and asked if they had it in white and they did but a few sizes too small...I tried it on and loved it straight away as it was perfect for a beach wedding. The week after she had my size in stock and I put it on lay by straight away. It was all way too easy!!

KezMick

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 pm

falling_dawn wrote:
is thinking "oh good the dress hides my stomach " count as a moment - if so then yes I had a moment :lol:

That's a great moment :P I had a moment like that the second dress that I tried as it looked really good on my short and dumpy figure and my bridesmaids all thought that it was the one. I was skeptical that I would find the one after trying on only 2 dresses so I'm still looking

Sharali
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Don't be skeptical. Mine was the third dress I tried on. I bought it in January last year & still love it. I got it wear it at my dress fitting and was dancing around like an idiot in it. :D

felmingham

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:24 am

I have tried on over 58 and still haven't had the moment - or one that I could say was 85% of the moment!! I am really want that moment though!

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

i only got around two days to try on dresses as i live overseas. The first dress I tried on was amazing!!!! loved it, then I loved the second one too. Unfortunately the sales lady was super pushy and stated that i would have to buy it that day or I wouldnt be able to get it altered in time. (my wedding is in October, so two months away! I freaked as I had made an appointment with this amazing designer the following Sunday with a designer that i had liked for ages. I managed to get in that day and the staff there were so friendly and helpful. I tried on several more dresses and loved them too! Argh! But when i met with the actual designer that Sunday, she put together two seperate dresses and came up with my perfect dress!!! I am so lucky that I get an actual made to order dress in two months!!!! I cant wait to wear it!!

felmingham

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:38 pm

That is great!! Bet you are glad you met with the designer! How exciting!

I met with Henry Roth and loved one of his dresses but it was strapless and don't want straps added so decided against that dress which is a pity as I really loved the dress.

I tried on a karen willis holmes dress the other day and LOVED it but it is about $4500 which is same price to get a couture gown made for me. So I think I am going to get the dress designed and made. Can have a bit more of my personality in the dress. Fingers crossed it works out well. I am going to use Chein Noir Dezines‏ from Perth.

I was originally going to haev a blue dress but decided my only chance to wear a white dress so going to try and incororate the blue material i bought for the dress I get made. Or have two dresses.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 pm

I definitely had the moment. It was one of the first 6 dresses I tried on (though it was way too small for me to get into) and I fell in love. It looked kind of bland on the hanger amongst all the other beautiful dresses but as soon as it was held up to me I started to well up a little. I left it for a few days but I always came back to this dress while searching online. I ended up taking MOH to go see the dress at another store, which was also too small, but it was on the mannequin and she knew without it being on that it was made for me. FH has seen it (we're not keeping it a secret since I have nowhere else to store it anyway :lol: ) and it's the only one he remembers.

I've been emailing everywhere to find a size that may fit so I can really have the moment properly, eventually the second store I had gone to with MOH got one flown in from interstate. It's only a 12, so it's still kind of small, but the style means I should be able to get it on even if I can't do it up. Hopefully tomorrow I get to have the moment for real :heart:

I should also mention, this style of dress was nothing like I had in my mind, I had been thinking full bodice (down to my hips) with a full skirt, this one comes to my waist and flows out into somewhat of a more a-line skirt, but it's very 50's which is me all over since that's my go to style for formal occasions. I hadn't even considered going 50's with my dress.

felmingham

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:41 pm

That sounds like a fabulous "moment" to have!! hope you get to try it on and fits perfectly!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.38