A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

 
User avatar
mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm

wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I took my dress today to get cleaned! I know their are a lot of threads on here about how much it cost etc but i wanted to share my experience as i was blown away! I had read posts on what others had paid and seen anything from $200-$400. this store in particular has a lot of great reviews and all they do is bridal gowns.

So, i take the dress in and luckily have a 50% off voucher (which clearly is a con anyway) and they look at it and quote $750 to get it cleaned!!! Not even boxed! Just the dress itself cleaned!!!!!! Does this sound outrageous or what!!!! So i ended up getting it for $374 with my voucher and that doesn't include a preservation box or anything!! At least i feel confident that they will do an amazing job and return it to brand new condition!

Out of curiosity, what have others paid in recent times?
Last edited by mummabride on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
nelle_mrs2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Wow the price of dry cleaning blows me away! I'm in the wrong career haha!

Out of curiosity - how much extra are they charging for a preservation box?
 
User avatar
L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here
Posts: 7229
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Wow - that is ridiculous, sounds to me they mark it up so the 50% discount vouchers just mean you pay the real price.

Mine is $450 in a preservation box. Its silk and lace and completely black on the inside as I ended up kicking my heels off and running around in flats after about 10pm :oops:
 
User avatar
mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I didn't even ask about the preservation box. I would have been happy if i went in there without the discount voucher and they said $375. I wouldn't have felt so ripped off! But for him to actually say it would have been over $700!! Just makes me feel like im getting conned!

nelle_mrs2b wrote:
Out of curiosity - how much extra are they charging for a preservation box?


I didn't even ask about preservation box as i already have a buyer lined up : ) I would have hated to know! lol!!'
'
I had an absolutely amazing, fantastic, perfect wedding day, but gee, i'm glad i'm married to my lovely husband now and the wedding money burden has been lifted! No post wedding blues here! Just fantastic memories of one of the best days of our life! :D
 
darkphoenix
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 am

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:42 pm

I have a feeling I know who you ended up using, not sure whether to mention it or if you intentionally didn't want to name names.
My dress was absolutely filthy too, all fan tan on the inside, the bottom was black from where we'd been to the beach and even the outside was dirty, my lovely DH decided to step on it :P I was quoted $740 but I had a 50% off voucher too. I know all they do is wedding dresses so they're going to be good and they have a lot of reviews on here but I kind of took the approach, if they can afford to take 50% off they're obviously jacking up their prices to begin with. It annoyed the hell out of me, especially after everyone in the lead up to the wedding adds an extra $0 when you mention "wedding". But I've seen a few disasters from some of the cheap drycleaners so I didn't mind paying that bit extra for the peace of mind. In the end I haggled and got it for $420 cleaned and preserved in a nice bag and return postage from Qld.
With the 50% off they seem comparable to a lot of drycleaners, just annoying they couldn't have lower prices to begin with.
 
KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
Posts: 3744
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I washed mine myself. I refuse to pay that kind of money.
 
User avatar
mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm

KateM wrote:
I washed mine myself. I refuse to pay that kind of money.



Your brave, i shrink clothes most days in the wash! lol! no way would i risk stuffing up such an expensive garment. If i knew i could easily remove to stains and get it like new without ruining it then i certainly would do it myself too! It does hurt paying that sort of money but at least i know it will be restored to original condition :D
 
KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
Posts: 3744
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

mummabride wrote:
KateM wrote:
I washed mine myself. I refuse to pay that kind of money.



Your brave, i shrink clothes most days in the wash! lol! no way would i risk stuffing up such an expensive garment. If i knew i could easily remove to stains and get it like new without ruining it then i certainly would do it myself too! It does hurt paying that sort of money but at least i know it will be restored to original condition :D


Its difficult to shrink something hand washed in cool water. My theory is, if I ruin it - so what? Realistically I'm not going to wear it again. Nor will any daughter I may have I'm sure. I'd rather keep it, but nothing terrible will happen if it is ruined.
 
User avatar
sachick90
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm

KateM wrote:
mummabride wrote:
KateM wrote:
I washed mine myself. I refuse to pay that kind of money.



Your brave, i shrink clothes most days in the wash! lol! no way would i risk stuffing up such an expensive garment. If i knew i could easily remove to stains and get it like new without ruining it then i certainly would do it myself too! It does hurt paying that sort of money but at least i know it will be restored to original condition :D


Its difficult to shrink something hand washed in cool water. My theory is, if I ruin it - so what? Realistically I'm not going to wear it again. Nor will any daughter I may have I'm sure. I'd rather keep it, but nothing terrible will happen if it is ruined.


Mum and I washed mine ourselves too. It ended up looking great. I think it is whiter than it was before lol
 
pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Lots of dress cleaning places just put the standard ones in a pillowcase or big wash bag and delicate cycle in the washing machine. So I've been told by someone who used to work at a Suit popular suit hire place that did a huge amount of wedding dress cleaning. Only the really delicate ones were given special treatment.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I'll sell mine after as it's not the sort of dress to hand down
 
User avatar
mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 pm

pinkperfection wrote:
Lots of dress cleaning places just put the standard ones in a pillowcase or big wash bag and delicate cycle in the washing machine. So I've been told by someone who used to work at a Suit popular suit hire place that did a huge amount of wedding dress cleaning. Only the really delicate ones were given special treatment.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I'll sell mine after as it's not the sort of dress to hand down


ohhh gosh! that scares me! I think mine will hopefully get (and require to clean well) a lot better attention! One of the reasons why i chose to take it to a place specializing in only cleaning wedding gowns!
 
millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:50 am

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Normal dry cleaners, no preservation, only mild dirt and a little fake tan but pretty tricky lace gown. $320 couldn't believe it! But I owed these dry cleaners because they saved one of my pale pink dressed that I accidentally put in a bag that had blueberries in it!!! Long story... But he saved my butt and hardly charged me anything for that dress. I'm super loyal now!
 
pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm

mummabride wrote:
pinkperfection wrote:
Lots of dress cleaning places just put the standard ones in a pillowcase or big wash bag and delicate cycle in the washing machine. So I've been told by someone who used to work at a Suit popular suit hire place that did a huge amount of wedding dress cleaning. Only the really delicate ones were given special treatment.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I'll sell mine after as it's not the sort of dress to hand down


ohhh gosh! that scares me! I think mine will hopefully get (and require to clean well) a lot better attention! One of the reasons why i chose to take it to a place specializing in only cleaning wedding gowns![/

Apparently their success rate of getting the dresses clean was great. That's why they do it. I guess it depends on the stains
 
esther brooks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 pm

I took my wedding dress to the professionals in Melbourne city on Flinders Lane, they dry cleaned it and boxed it for $175. I think they did an excellent job with my dress and till today the beading and lace on my dress still looks very new! The dress looked like I never had worn it before. So great job to them!
 
User avatar
Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

If a place has a 50% off voucher for dry cleaning I think their 'normal' price would be really OTT. I paid $250 for mine - a polyester taffeta gown with some lace and beading on the bodice, skirt and train. I went to L1ndus dry cleaners who say they clean the dress by hand. The first time I got it back it was not clean, after a few calls back and forth it went back to be cleaned again (with harsher cleaning agents) and came back in great condition. If it had been more expensive than that I would have elected to clean it at home myself. Most synthetic materials can be hand washed at home but natural fibres are tricky and should be done by a professional.
 
User avatar
Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am

Mine is cleaned and boxed for $180 at Euro Star on Oxford St, Darlinghurst. A great job too!
 
DaisyT
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Oh boy! Am I glad my mother manages a bunch of dry cleaning stores so I don't have to pay and can have it done short notice.
My mum charges anywhere from $80 - $300 depending on how complicated the dress is and how filthy it is. This includes boxing.
There is quite a long wait as wedding dresses are quite complicated to do and take a LOT of time to do if they are filthy.
It takes more than one attempt at washing, plus you have to make sure all the beading etc stay intact.

I suppose unless you have had experiences with a local dry cleaner you would be more inclined to take it to a franchised one.
I know from my own personal experience that my mum takes heaps of pride in her work and actually takes care of the clothes that come through unless they are literally feral. Why people would **** their pants than take it to a dry cleaner or leave used tampons and condoms in clothes makes me sick. ARGH!!
 
skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:14 am

Re: wedding dress drycleaning!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Mine cost about $250 in Sydney a year ago. It has beading on the shoulders & hip, all satin with a long train. It wasnt terribly dirty though. They said it was the same price to have it in the box or just left hanging if I wanted to resell it. I still thought this price was ridiculous though!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.51