A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Lonely_Bride
Topic Author

I don't like my dress! Please help ASAP!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 am

Hi all,
I'm really new on here and really need somewhere to let of some steam and issues. I am having huge issues with my dress, right from the moment that the credit card was swiped through. It is absolutely beautiful, but not one part of it is me! I went in the shop with one idea and came out with something else and have regretted it ever since it was paid for. I have cried nearly every day since I bought it 2 months ago. I should have just tried to sell it (as no refunds or exchanges), but have tried to make myself feel better by telling myself that I love it. This is obviously not working. Anyway the dress has been altered now and I am quite short (5 foot 3 i think) so it would be hard to sell. My wedding is just over one month away and I need help with ideas on how to make my dress a little bit more unique. I really took the wrong people shopping. I took my maid of honour and a friend and I heard them whinging in the shop about how long it was taking (we were there less than an hour!) The dress I absolutely fell in love with, they turned there noses up at and told me it was disgusting. I got scared and wondered if that would be everyone's opinion. I let them sway my choice of dress because I thought they would give me honest opinions (boy was I wrong!). I have tried on many dresses in many shops and every time I have had to go alone as all my family and friends live in Queensland and I now live in Perth. I was so happy to have someone coming with me to look at wedding dresses and thought that I wouldn't have to be lonely anymore. I feel more alone then ever. It is starting to cause problems at home too, because I am feeling so messed up. I now resent my maid of honour and the I feel even worse because I also trusted the other person who I never liked in the first place! Why did I trust them? I feel so stupid! Let me tell you about my dream dress is quite tight until just passed the bum to really show off any figure and sort of flairs out from there. It has a medium amount of sparkle - preferably down one side of the figure hugging area. It would also be strapless with a scalloped type bust area. My wedding is about 5 weeks away on the 1st September, so I desperately need help to try and make this closer to my dream dress as I can't afford another dress. I am already crying every day, I don't want to keep resenting my dress and I don't want to end up breaking down on my wedding day.
P.S. I don't know how to add photos and the smallest I have been able to make the pictures is 458kb
Last edited by Lonely_Bride on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

nelle_mrs2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: I don't like my dress! Please help ASAP!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 am

Sorry to hear your dress shopping experience was not at all what you hoped for.
Where abouts did you buy your dress from? I'm in Perth as well.
Can you afford to get another dress? Or get the one you don't like altered by a dressmaker to suit 'you' more?
If you really hate your dress that much, I would be getting one that you love and you feel comfortable and pretty in. End of the day it is your special day, not your bridesmaids.
I can't believe your MoH was whinging about how long it was taking... not a very nice MoH. I wouldn't be having her in my wedding if I were you!!

Lonely_Bride
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks for such a quick answer. However I don't have a fulltime job (I'm looking hard though for full time!), so all my savings went on my dress. It cost $899 and my mum still had to pay half. I went to 8 different shops over 2 days for my MOH, I didn't think it would be too hard to spare one or two hours

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:59 am

you poor thing. Firstly, maybe try and sell the dress you have, there are a lot of us shorties out there. Try looking on ebay, gumtree etc for a dress you like and maybe could afford. Even see if you can borrow some money from someone/somewhere to get a dress you like better. The alterations idea is a good one too, if there is plenty of material in the dress you have a good seemstress might just be able to make the one you want out of it. Good luck and try to put aside what your MOH said and just enjoy your day.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Sorry to hear you don't like your dress, the sales assistants can be so pushy and that's a shame your friends weren't being supportive. If you could upload a photo it would be good to see, maybe you are a bit tainted by the negative experience? If you really don't like it you will always regret, maybe look into getting a second-hand dress if you can't afford a new one?

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Oh Lonely_Bride, please don't feel like you are alone :cry: We are here for you!! Have you got Microsoft Paint? You can resize photos using that or as curly mentioned, use Photobucket. Or Image Shack.. Once we see the dress, I"m sure we could make all sorts of suggestions to help make your dress more "you". You know, I'm sure your dress is gorgeous and you are being too hard on yourself for not getting that other one. You are going to be a beautiful bride I promise :heart: :heart:

Miss_ngu
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Your poor thing.have ypu thought about buying a seond hand one and trying to sell your dress later on? Theres plenty of shorty, im 5"3 too. :D or maybe make some alteration with the current dress?

littlewhiteromance

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm

You should sell that dress and find something you like.

Its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

i hope everything goes well for you.

:)

darkphoenix
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 pm

I was in a similar situation, I bought my dress online and when it arrived it was exactly like the photo except for material. It was organza not chiffon but my MOH along with other family convinced me it was fine. We were on a ridiculously tight budget so I tried to convince myself I loved it. I wanted to cry anytime someone asked about the dress and I couldn't bring myself to look at it. No matter how many times I tried it on I just wasn't happy. I tried for months to convince myself then 10 weeks before the wedding DH finally cracked it with me and told me to go buy a new dress as he was sick of me being upset and it was the best thing I ever did! I bought off the rack and got it quite discounted because of that, but you could even look at second hand dresses. It's really not worth trying to convince yourself to love it, you're going to look back on the photos for years to come and you want to be happy with it not wishing you'd had another dress.
Maybe see a seamstress too, they may be able to do something to get it closer to what you love.

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Sorry to hear about this. Im in Kalgoorlie, let me know if you need opinions, myself and the Perth girls might be able to help where we can if you need advice. Try Gumtree, i noticed a few listed lately. What size are you and do you know the style you would like? will keep an eye out if you like. Happy to net surf for you and send you links. Is there a Perth for sale page on Facebook? I know there is one for Kalgoorlie and has had a few dresses listed on there too. Maybe see if one of the Perth girls can go try a second hand dress on with you? I know how hard it is as I too am a QLDer and my mum flew to perth to pick my dress with me and i had second thoughts about my pick too. Im sure it will all work out for you.

Maybe try find a good dress maker and see what ideas she has for the dress to make it the way you want? Otherwise are there any half price sales for off the rack dresses on at the moment?

Good luck and tell us if we can help you xxx

michelle1089

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 pm

i know exactly how you feel! :( and i feel so sorry for you!

I'm from albany, 400ks south of perth, and me and the bridesmaids took a trip to perth to look at dresses!
My bridesmaids hated everything i liked. They eventually convinced me that i looked stunning in this toilet roll holder dress! i bought it and regretted it right away... i thought i was some sort of bride monster to hate my dress and i pulled it out and tried it on heaps, but every time i hated it more :( my wedding is in december and I've just ordered a new dress on rush order! I went by myself and only told everyone after the deal was done! I looked at second hand, there were a few nice ones but none like the one i wanted! I suppose it depends on what size you are as to if you can get one second hand! theres heaps of size 12 dresses around!! some of the bridal stores do lots of off the rack gowns. I went to a store in Joondalup that had heaps of dresses to by off the rack, some at great prices, but the staff weren't very nice... Gumtree, Something blue, and still white also have heaps of dresses for sale :) some event been worn either!

If you don't get another dress maybe you can get a dressmaker to change it a little bit, maybe add more fabric and make it bigger, or take away the underskirt to make it smaller? could you add a little jacket or one of those cute belts thats in your style? hope you can figure something out!!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Oh I know exactly how you feel too! :( And I have to say since realising that the dress that I had really wasn't me, getting a new one was the best thing I did! I am so happy that I have (or will have...when it arrives) a dress that I absolutely love and actually reflects my style. It did cost extra money that I didn't really want to spend...especially after a stuff up with my original dress (I will now have 3 dresses!!)... but I'm hoping to re-coup some of that by selling the other dresses (in my s&t if you'd like to have a look...one is mermaid style so you might like it)... but I still think it was worth it. You need to be happy with your dress and most importantly feel confident on your wedding day. Good luck!

TasKaz
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 pm

I found out the hard way that the dress is not something you can compromise on (bearing in mind what you can afford). I was 6 weeks out and had tried to convince myself I loved the dress I had but I hated it. I was lucky enough to find one off the rack 5 weeks out. I felt bad at the time for the cost (it was under a thousand) but no regrets now. I felt like a million dollars on the day and it was truly my dream dress. Big hugs and lots of luck hun xxx

Lonely_Bride
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Thank you for your help everyone. It is now only 28 days until I am married.
I was originally wanting to sell the dress, but due to lack of funds was willing to make adjustments to the dress to make it more me. It may surprise you (as it certainly has me!) that I have actually decided to do nothing to the dress! I think adding anything will change the look of the dress too much (as in a bad way). I am really starting to look forward to the day now and marrying the man of my dreams. It is not my dream dress by far, but when I think of the actual day, the dress isn't even a part of my dreams now. I dream about looking into my man's eyes and vowing to love him for the rest of my life. Yes the dress matters, but it's not everything. I bought my jewellery today and picked up my wedding ring. It is all coming together now and I can't wait for September 1st to get here! :heart:

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am

Lonely_Bride wrote:
Yes the dress matters, but it's not everything

Well said Lonely Bride !!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.46