A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wedding Ring Question

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 am

We recently got quotes for our wedding rings from the same manufacturing jeweller that made my engagement ring and it was a whole lot more than we were expecting, and that was with them giving us nearly $1000 off for having them make all 3 rings. I am going to get some quotes from other manufacturing jewellers, but my question is:
Does my FH's wedding ring need to be platinum because mine will be? I obviously need to get a platinum wedder as it will be sitting next to my platinum engagement ring, but I thought that perhaps we could cut some costs by getting him something different.
Is your FH/DH's ring made from the same metal? Do you think it matters if they don't 'match'?

rmfar2

Re: Wedding Ring Question

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:29 am

My FH wedding band is going to be titanium as he is a carpenter and needs something a little stronger so it doesn't get too ruined and my wedding/engagement rings are yellow gold so we won't match. I don't think it really matters but if you want that similar look titanium is cheaper and looks just like platinum or white gold in my opinion, but I am not really a Jewellery person so I may be wrong. Hath.

Beck

aug b2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:12 am

It comes down to personal choice. My rings are white gold and FH will wear a yellow gold band.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:41 am

No, they don't need to match.

darkphoenix
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 am

I don't think it matters at all if they match or not. We ended up both getting 18ct gold but DH was looking at titanium for quite some time. My folks have different two, mum's is yellow gold, dad's is white gold. I think it just comes down to personal preference, if you prefer platinum but your FH doesn't I wouldn't make him get the same. If you do want them matching in material maybe look at something that not's custom made for FH.

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:30 am

k - my e ring is yellow gold with platinum claws and my wedder is white gold with claw set diamonds as the white gold looked so much more sparkly than yellow gold and we didn't really have it in the budget for platinum. hubby's ring is titanium so it's tough as he's very rough with his hands but won't be wearing it while working.

i don't think they need to match at all. my two rings don't but i think they look beautiful (of course)

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 am

Ours wont match either - I've already got my wedder which is an 18ct gold ring with diamonds - I had it made at the same time as my e-ring. FH wants a titanium ring.

Speaking of wedding rings, I was in Michael Hill yesterday and the sales assistant show me a number of Tungsten rings - they look really sleek and I think FH may change his mind about wanting a titanium ring when he sees these ones.

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Ours dont match - His is like the photo above but in yellow gold. My other half wont even be wearing his usually - only on special occasions or going out etc as he is a sparky. Its not worth the risk of wearing jewellery to work for him. I'm fine with that. My dad has never worn his ring either - i doubt he even knows where it is :P

As for cost, the other half's ring only cost $480 on special (i think it was about $600 normally or something), so i dont think it matters whether they are expensive or not, it comes down to what he wants to wear and likes. I didnt choose mine, he bought it as a set with the engagment ring - but he did a good job so i didnt need / want to change it :wink:

Miss_ngu
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:39 pm

I would prefer them to match, but unfortunately I dont like yellow gold, and FH wouldnt wear anything except for a bland yellow gold band, so ours wont match. I'm happy with it because I can spend more money on the wedding/honeymoon instead. :D

apk
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm

ours didn't match too.

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Awesome...thanks ladies! Hopefully I can convince H2B that he doesn't need platinum too then!!

Your rings are really nice Curly :)

Laura&Finn

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Ours aren't matching either, like Curly, FH is getting a tungsten ring (on sale at Michael Hill atm, $370) and I'm getting a white gold ring. Tungsten rings look really good with white gold/platinum IMO, and they don't look ridiculously blingy for a bloke.

sugarb_91
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Nope they don't need to be the same! Mine is yellow gold and DHs is white gold. Tbh most couples i know have rings that don't 'match'

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 pm

adrienne wrote:
Ours dont match - His is like the photo above but in yellow gold. My other half wont even be wearing his usually - only on special occasions or going out etc as he is a sparky. Its not worth the risk of wearing jewellery to work for him. I'm fine with that. My dad has never worn his ring either - i doubt he even knows where it is :P

As for cost, the other half's ring only cost $480 on special (i think it was about $600 normally or something), so i dont think it matters whether they are expensive or not, it comes down to what he wants to wear and likes. I didnt choose mine, he bought it as a set with the engagment ring - but he did a good job so i didnt need / want to change it :wink:

same here, DH can only wear it on the weekend, and then only when he's not doing odd jobs as he's a plumber

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm

I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet as he works away remotely, but I really think that I can convince him that he doesn't need platinum too.
Just like some of your men, he won't wear it at work, so it will only get worn for 1 week out of every 3 as he works away for a fortnight at a time.

Now I just need to look around for similar ones to what he likes in some cheaper metals and see if he is happy. Fingers crossed!

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Lanta Bride, did your FH decide on his ring?

I think it would be nice for the rings to match in colour but not necessarily metal.
I tried to convince my own FH to get a platinum one to match mine (or even white gold) but he insisted he wanted tungsten :roll: ...even though it can't be resized!! :evil:

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:40 am

I briefly spoke to him about it (try to keep wedding talk to a minimum whilst he is away) and he seemed happy enough about it. Will try and convince him to go looking at rings again soon and get some new quotes!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35