A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

amyk33
Topic Author

Back-up wedding dress?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I have a beautiful vintage lace gown with a very soft lace. My MIL suggested maybe i get a back-up dress just in case something happens to the lace and she is worried that it may be damaged in transport or i may get makeup on it. I found a dress that i like and its on sale (down to about $500) so i am considering it.

Has anyone else ever had a back-up dress and used it?
Is it a silly idea?

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Back-up wedding dress?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't think it's at all necessary. There have been hundreds of people on here with lace wedding dresses and I have never heard of lace being damaged in transit. And as for makeup- so long as you have people to help you into your dress on the day it'll be fine. Many people can just step into their gowns and pull them up- they don't even need to go over the face. And if it does just have a scarf/ piece of light fabric to go over your head while the dress goes on.

Justine811

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm going to have a back up dress but it's really only a white cotton knee-length 50's style dress. It's not a 'wedding dress' but just a white dress that I've had for years and could use if there was some disaster involving the actual dress.

I've decided that I'll have it ready because of a disaster story which happened to a friend of my FH. She had designed and hand made her wedding dress. But then the night before the wedding their neighbour's house caught fire and some smoke got into their house and left black smoke marks on the dress. Fortunately they were able to salvage the dress by adding some white fabric flowers over the smoke damaged parts, but I can only imagine how stressful that night and morning was for them.

I personally wouldn't spend any significant money on a back up dress but I'm happy knowing that I have at least some kind of white dress that I could walk down the aisle in if anything happened at the last minute to the actual dress.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I wouldn't spend $500 on a back up wedding dress - i think its a bit excessive. I think you had something you've already got or something cheaper then its not a bad idea.

It wouldn't matter if you had a $5000 or a dress like yours - there could always be a drama with the dress last minute. Its not a silly idea to have a back up dress but I don't know if I would spend $500.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 am

i dont think a back up dress is necessary, my dress is lace also and i dont have any concerns on it being damaged in transit or getting make up on it :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.47