A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

LaceyBride
Topic Author

Where did you get your dress from and how much did you spend

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

I can't find anything that is quite what I'm looking for! And everything is SO expensive!
Please help!!!!!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Where did you get your dress from and how much did you spend

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 am

Take your time, if you can and have a good look around. What kind of dress are you looking for? And what would you like to spend?

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am

I got my dress from Ferrari, it's $1680 but I'm paying it off....that being said, it's one of mums contributions.

melyz86

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am

I got mine online from OuterInner.com and including a bolero jacket and alterations once I received it I think it came in around $400. I was pleased with the quality of the making of the dress. It just needed alterations to suit my body type which I knew would be needed when I ordered it. We did pay extra to make sure it arrived on time because I had left it a bit late and it arrived well within the given time period. Their communication was great. They have a lot of different styles to choose from too.

LaceyBride
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 am

I like lace and embellishments and want something that will make me look good, not just a pretty ball gown/ princess type dress that I will be lost in, but I don't want anything too sexy either! So fitted but demure with lots of detailing... I don't want to order online but I only want to spend about $1000! So now you are starting to see my problem- I am fussy!

I also find some sales staff in bridal stores incredibly rude which really puts me off.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 am

I actually created an entire topic on this some time ago - but cannot find it for the life of me... will see if I can get any results!

LaceyBride
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks that would be so helpful!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Not to be rude, but what size are you? And not to sound like a salesperson, but I have just posted a lace mermaid dress in the trading post section viewtopic.php?f=91&t=136514 , it's a bit like what you've just described, so I thought I would let you know. The pictures don't to it justice, it is quite a beautiful dress - but not what I ordered and connected to bad feelings for me, so I can't bring myself to wear it. It's worth over $1600, but I am selling for $600. It is quite small, but it is currently zip up, I'm sure a dressmaker would be able to make it lace up to make it bigger. It has beauiful lace & bead embelishments.

I purchased my other dress from bridalgown.net it's great for designer dresses much cheaper than what you would buy them for through a bridal shop.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I had a dress made online but when it arrived it didnt suit me :( I am selling it on Gumtree now, You should try there and also the trading post here for cheaper options :)

I now am getting my dress from a bridal store called Nifi. I spent $2200 on it which is way more than i wanted to spend but it is beautiful and suits my figure :)

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Looks like the topic/poll I created some time ago has been moved with the forum reshuffle, Mods, if you are reading this can you let me know where the pollng booth topics have disappeared to? I managed to find the topic through google but it won't let me read it :)

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 pm

The Mods have kindly opened up that topic I created a while ago - would be very valuable if you ladies who have not yet contributed do :) As you all know wedding planning can be made easier with other people's experiences to draw upon.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126131&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

LaceyBride
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm

That's fantastic JerseyRose! Post a pic?
Will customs charge duty and GST? How much did you spend on your BM dresses? My aim is $1000 for my dress, $250 for each BM dress, $200 for my shoes and $100 for BM shoes (although they may be paying for their shoes, or half, depending on what we get).

Thanks LIW and Mods - will have a look at that topic

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

LaceyBride wrote:
That's fantastic JerseyRose! Post a pic?
Will customs charge duty and GST? How much did you spend on your BM dresses? My aim is $1000 for my dress, $250 for each BM dress, $200 for my shoes and $100 for BM shoes (although they may be paying for their shoes, or half, depending on what we get).

Thanks LIW and Mods - will have a look at that topic

As for customs anything worth more than $1,000 AUD is subject to GST and duty.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 pm

I bought mine at the Sugar & Spice Outlet Store in Brisbane for $600 - it was the last one of a discontinued line & it was my dream dress!!!! So if you take the time to shop around you can find something affordable.

I went to a few shops before than and everything I tried was over $1000 but none of them were what I wanted. My mum actually saw 'the dress' first - it was on a manequin.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 am

I bought my dress from a local bridal store, it was $3000, it was above my budget but I loved it! I do regret it a little bit now but it was the first real thing we bought for the wedding so I was able to justify it to myself. My tip would be to shop around :)

Moderator Team
The Mod Squad
The Mod Squad

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 pm

This thread has been moved to Wedding Attire.

The MODERATOR TEAM kindly reminds all members to please post in the most appropriate room at all times. We appreciate that with the recent reshuffling of the forum this past week, things will take a bit of time to get used to. If you have any doubts about which room to post in, please do not hesitate to contact one of the Mod Team members!

Thanks for your cooperation,
The Mod Team

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 pm

I purchased a sample dress (the dress that everyone tried on in store) from a family owned bridal sotre

The dress original price was $2000 i paid $600

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 am

My original budget was $1000 or $1500 including the bits and alterations. This did not happen but admitadly i am a big bigger girl (size 16/18 at the time of order) and the discontiued and samples etc and cheaper dresses just didnt do me any help. I (mum) spent $1500 on the dress + the veil and hoop (approx $450) + $250 in alterations (some of which was due to the store telling me to order the size up, then i had to have it taken in by 2 sizes!) I also had 2 straps added in that alteration price (no hem). So grand total of $2200. Mum paid for the dress (not that FH knows or ever will!) as their gift as i am refusing to let them pay for any part of the wedding. I paid for the alterations. Mum bought the veil & hoop without asking me as i would of bought a second hand one if i knew - which you can pick up quite often on gumtree.

I bought the BM dresses from weddingdressen.com for $99 each delivered in 6 weeks. They do need alterations but it should work out cheaper than buying at a store still and the qualitiy looks to be just as good as store bought.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25