A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

What to wear to a Black Tie wedding

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Ladies,

I have a black tie wedding coming up and I'm really unsure what to wear! It seems black tie has been toned down these days and a lot of people are wearing cocktail length dresses. To me black tie means very formal... full length, gorgeous gown. But I don't know! I don't want to turn up and feel under dressed, but I don't want to be over dressed either!!! I'm looking at these two dresses - which do you think would be most appropriate? Or should I keep looking??
http://www.edressit.com/edressit-2013-new-charming-one-diagonal-shoulder-evening-dress_p2562.html
http://www.asos.com/au/Jarlo/Jarlo-Maxi-Dress-with-Lace-Inserts-and-Button-Detail/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2836811&cid=8799&Rf-300=1880&Rf981=3680&Rf-800=66,97&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Cream&r=2

It's ok not to wear black isn't it??

oohlalisha
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: What to wear to a Black Tie wedding

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm

It's definitely ok for ladies not to wear black to a black tie function. I think you're right in saying a floor length gown would be appropriate. I love the first gown!

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Definitely a floor length dress.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

You don't have to go floor length but its certainly appropriate. I do think the first dress you linked too is too much though. Let the bride be the star. The second is more appropriate IMO.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 am

OMG girl, THE 1st DRESS. It is the most stunning dress I think that I have ever seen. Oh to have the body.

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 am

I love both of those dresses, would love to be able to wear the first one! Go for it :)

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:13 am

I agree with what Kate said- let the bride be the star. The first dress is very beautiful but it is a little over the top for the wedding.
I've been to a black tie wedding and been very disappointed that there were guests who did not wear full length dresses. I do believe black tie has really been toned down these days.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am

I think floor length is appropriate for black tie but to be annoying i think the first dress is too formal and the second not formal enough.

If i had to choose one though I would pick the second

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

I agree with the girls - floor length is the way to go. The first dress is beautiful, but too much for a wedding. The second is still beautiful but less full on.

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks ladies, I did think that the first one was too much, but wasn't sure. I might see if I can find something in between the two that I like. I'll def go for something floorlength, just maybe not something red carpet worthy! :lol: I think if I was going to a black tie ball or something like that I could wear the first one, but since it's a wedding I don't want to look like I'm trying to outshine the bride.

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Agape wrote:
I think something a little more fitted than the second, similiar to the fitting of the first dress. But without the length of the first dress, something the skims the floor but doesn't have a train.

Thanks Agape, if I got the first one I was going to get it without the flowers & without the train, do you think it would still be too much then?

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:55 pm

nickncarolyn1 wrote:
Agape wrote:
I think something a little more fitted than the second, similiar to the fitting of the first dress. But without the length of the first dress, something the skims the floor but doesn't have a train.

Thanks Agape, if I got the first one I was going to get it without the flowers & without the train, do you think it would still be too much then?

I personally still think that would be too much, It's a gorgeous dress but too much for a wedding
GZIP: On | Load: 0.04