A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

onedayB2B
Topic Author

help with flowers

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 pm

what flowers (bouquets, button holes, etc) do i need to consider when asking for a quote?

we have no bridesmaids (just a bridesman, so i guess he wouldnt need a bouquet), 2 flower girls (ages 6 and 2.5) and 1 best man.

i know id need
*bridal bouquet (what size do people generally have?)
*button holes x4 (groom, best man and bridesman and the littlest flower girl for her wand)
*1 flowergirl bouquet (again, what size??) (littlest flower girl will possibly have a fairy wand with a button hole attatched versus a bouquet)
*1 throwaway for the flower toss

do we need to think about our parents for other button holes? do the mums of the bride and groom and corsages?

anything else i need to consider?

onedayB2B
Topic Author

Re: help with flowers

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 pm

i have 2 dads and 2 mums, FH has one of each,
and i have so many grandparents i wouldnt know where to draw to line as to who should have one and who shouldnt.

maybe ill just stick with the parents for buttonholes and corsages!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 am

When it comes to corsages and buttonholes for non-bridal party, I'd ask the parents/whomever if they want them or not and use that as a guide. No need to spend money unnecessarily.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

I've asked for 40 roses in my bouquet. It's going to be huge! I wanted a big full bouquet though. Normally they use 25 to 30. If the flowers have opened then I'll have less flowers.

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Absolutely anything goes with corsages and buttonholes. If you are on a budget then just giving to parents is fine, or you really don't even have to have them at all.
Rather than ask for a buttonhole for the wand I would mention what it is for as it may be cheaper if it doesn't have to include the extra workings. They will know the right size bouquet to make for a flowergirl too. You don't really need to be specific with your size for this.
Some florists will include a throwaway for free as generally they are just made up of leftover flowers unless you are really specific about what you want. Perhaps ask if they can throw it in for free.

Be aware that there is a huge difference between the size of local and imported roses, so it can sometimes be better to work in diameter rather than number of roses. If you have your heart set on a look though, make sure it is specified in your quote whether they are local or imported too. The heads of Ecuadorian roses can be double the size of something local! Imported always look AMAZING and would be my choice. They cost a little more per bunch from the market, but you will need less bunches generally if that makes sense. A good florist should have artificial bouquets in their studio to give you a size guide too

onedayB2B
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm

im using artificial flowers, so the size of the flowers isnt too much of a drama! :-)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.54